Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lidstrom Press conference tomorrow at 11am

wheels002

I hope he comes back for another year but so far I havnt heard if this is good news or bad.

Yea its really tight lipped. Id like to have him for another year, but if he leaves it would be a good time to do so. Would give the wings even more cap space to not only sign a top line forward but also a top 2 Dman.

Yeah I know we need to retool the roster some so we can reload and be competitive. Our playoff streak is amazing but we havnt really been a threat for the cup in a while.

Anytime you make the playoffs your a cup threat. Its the way the NHL works. But we do need to get some younger stars in here so that we are set for the next decade

Damn reports out now that he will be retiring, Thank you for the memories Nick.

I can't be upset, not with Nick. Us Red Wings fans have it so good. Yzerman, now Lidstrom....so amazing to be a part of both of them.

It doesnt surprise me he has said for years he really wanted to spend time with his family and his son is playing hockey in Sweden. Your right though with Nick and Stevie Y we have been spoiled with 2 of the classiest men on and off the ice in the history of the sport.

Stevie Y and Nick are two of the reasons I love Hockey. Not because they are great players but because they are great human beings. I hate the selfishness and me attitude of other stars in other sports.

Stevie Y and Nick are two of the reasons I love Hockey. Not because they are great players but because they are great human beings. I hate the selfishness and me attitude of other stars in other sports.

Zoombaby, I agree with this. I watched that NHL 36? was it called? and Lidstrom was so accomadating to fans before and after the game as he left the team bus, and before getting on to leave after the game. Taking time to have his pics with fans of all ages and the kid/person in the wheelchair. You see a great player like him spend the time with fans tells you so much about his character.

found this blip.
The Lidstrom press conference will be available to watch LIVE on FOX Sports Detroit & streamed at http://FOXSportsDetroit.com. http://bit.ly/dbnKQL

Honestly we really have had some top notch men on a lot of our sports teams. Yes the Lions have gotten some bad pub lately but for the most part the players on the Wings, Tigers, Lions, and Pistons have done a good job not to bring shame to themselves and the city. Its always sad to see a truly great player walk away. But it is time and Nick wore the wheel with pride and hoisted the cup several times. And I like when players retire while they still have some left especially while healthy. I hope he gets to enjoy his family and relax. I wish we could draft his son now though lol.

This news really bummed me out. Lidstrom was the heart and sole of this red wings team and honestly was the most important player on the team the last 15 years, he is the one constant that has been here the entire 20 year dominance we have enjoyed..that is no coincidence.

As many of you guys have already said, I have the utmost respect for him both on and off the ice..I thought it would be hard to replace Yzerman as captain but he made that pill much easier to swallow..

One thing for sure is the Wings are going to look a lot different next season..Stuart is as good as gone and now Lids is gone too, that Means we have 2 top 3 Dmen to replace along with adding a much needed impact scorer. Ken Holland is one of if not the best GM in sports, so I have confidence that he will try his best to upgrade as many positions as possible. I know he has been very quite the past few years, but that was mostly sue to salary cap restrictions and a hesitancy to break up the "core". Well how we have the most cap space in the league, and there are no more doubts that this team needs a shakeup. I expect this offseason to be the busiest one the Wings have had in a decade.

The good thing is their are several really good to elite players available this offseason. We need to get at a very minimum 1 of them, but 2 should be the goal.

Last edited:
Still hard to believe in his 20 year career he NEVER missed the playoffs. I doubt you will ever see a player be able to say that again.

Agree 100%

He cant be replaced because you dont simply replace one of the best defense men to ever play the game. I will miss watching him play it also takes the last of those great red wings teams of the late 90's and early 2000's.

Well this is officially the biggest offseason for the Red Wings ever. We have the $$ to bring in the new talent for this team to continue on the tradition.

I think/hope we sign 1 forward (Semin, Parise) and 1 Defensemen (Suter). And hopefully Stuart comes back.

We held a moment of silence at work today just for Lidstrom. Class act and an all time great player. I wish he and his family the best.

This offseason just took on a very somber note, but Lidstrom had let us know for years that this was coming. Holland has done everything to get ready, so let's see what he can do.

Back