Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

You Cannot Take Johan Santana Out for the 9th

tinselwolverine

A former Cy Young Award Winner going after (I'm pretty sure) his first no hitter?

Rod and Mario are speculating about the possibility right now.

No freakin way.

And the two time Cy Young winner gets his first no-hitter, and the first in New York Mets history.

The New Yorker in me is happy for Johan and the Mets (but unhappy about the Yankees - Tigers game tonight).

Another damn no-hitter this year that should NOT have been. Humbers game: Ryan checked his swing on ball 4...blatantly obvious blown call. Santana's game: liner hits chalk...called foul. And Galaragga is out of the big leagues without even his perfect game to show for it. Fuck Johan and the Mets, Fuck Humber and the White Sox. And double-fuck the umpires.

A former Cy Young Award Winner going after (I'm pretty sure) his first no hitter?

Rod and Mario are speculating about the possibility right now.

No freakin way.

He was/is on a strict pitch count. When he gets to 105 or so he gets pulled.

He threw 130+ pitches.

Pitch count out the window on this one i guess....

I know he went over. The speculation on leaving him in was as he was approaching the pitch limit. The guy missed a year and I would imagine that Collins at least thought about that. He might even have asked Santana about it.

Oh, wait ... he did:

"Mets manager Terry Collins said before the game that he wanted to limit Santana to a maximum of 110-115 pitches. Santana finished with a career-high 134.

Afterward, an emotional Collins expressed his trepidation about going after history instead of preserving Santana's long-term health.

'I just couldn't take him out,' Collins said."

Back