Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ran into rich rod at Mc sports in the mall

MAIZEandBLUE09

It was really awkward. I was browsing there while my wife got her hair done at one of the salons and I'm looking at the football stuff and there's this guy standing there with his kid picking out football gear. And I say "a future Wolverine I hope" and then the guy looks up and it's fucking rr and says "maybe". I about crap my pants out of how uncomfortable it was. And then I say "well that's good to hear" and uncomfortably go about browsing, pretending like the guy I just said that to wasn't the Michigan coach who just got fired.

Now I'm sitting outside the salon typing this.

If you're serious . . .

Where does CBS tape their shows? Seems this time of the year he'd be there pretty much 100% of the time to do the shows.

100% serious. I just got home, typed that all out on my phone from Briarwood. I hadn't been to the MC sports since they moved it into the mall so I decided to go check it out - see if they had anything cool - and to kill some time while my wife got her hair cut. Seriously didn't notice it was him, there was only a few people in the whole store and he was just in casual clothes (no Michigan clothes) so it was just completely out of context in my brain. I just didn't notice him until he actually looked at me and talked. It was super uncomfortable. I felt a little bad for him because I'm sure it's weird pretty much everywhere he goes having Michigan fans around. I was under the impression that they had already moved away and were trying to sell their house.

Yeah, that would be awkward. What do you say? Sorry it didn't work out for you here coach. I was pulling for you. Good luck where ever you land.

I saw former CU coach Rick Hawkins at the airport a few weeks ago. He's not as roundly hated and Denver isn't Ann Arbor but still, he's disliked and it was clear pretty much everybody recognized who he was and it was a bit awkward.

I was like, "go coach intramurals, pal ...this is the Pac-10!!!"

bigvic said:
I saw former CU coach Rick Hawkins at the airport a few weeks ago. He's not as roundly hated and Denver isn't Ann Arbor but still, he's disliked and it was clear pretty much everybody recognized who he was and it was a bit awkward.

I was like, "go coach intramurals, pal ...this is the Pac-12!!!"

Fixed it for you.

Jever4321 said:
Yeah, that would be awkward. What do you say? Sorry it didn't work out for you here coach. I was pulling for you. Good luck where ever you land.

Nope, I ended the interaction with "well that's good to hear" and pretended to continue looking around. It was one of those things where you think to yourself: "I should have said_________" but you never do in the moment.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Jever4321 said:

Nope, I ended the interaction with "well that's good to hear" and pretended to continue looking around. It was one of those things where you think to yourself: "I should have said_________" but you never do in the moment.

At least you didn't blurt out, "YOU SUCK!!"

I'm pretty bad at hiding my genuine self at times like that. I might have blurted out a, 'Holy Shit!' or 'Damn, you're Rich Rodriguez!' -- two pretty lame options.

I saw Rod Smith the former Broncos WR one time and came out with a, 'Hey, Rod' as we walked past one another. I saw Dead bassist Phil Lesh getting on our plane to SF one time and all I could come up with was, 'Thanks.'

He said, 'you're welcome and nodded politely.'

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Jever4321 said:

I probabaly would have clammed up too. I would have thought of what I should have said about 10 minutes later.

what was the look on his face when he said "Maybe"

was it like
RichRodriguez.jpg

or
rich_rodriguez_01_01.jpg

or maybe it was more like
espn_g_rodriguez1_sy_576.jpg

Maybe he's there trying to sell that Saline/Ann Arbor area house, or maybe the family likes living there for the time being. Mike Tirico is another sports media guy who likes living in Ann Arbor (I don't know what part of Ann Arbor he lives).

It was probably a lot more awkward for you than it was for him, M&B09. As long as he's around there, that kind of thing must happen to him about every day.

Maize and Blue- c'mon, why didn't you just tell him he is an "idiot" and he was able to destroy Michigan football all by himself? You just needed to "inform him" on how to coach, how his players sucked, and how he needed to leave the defense alone. You know, bash him pretty much like you did when Michigan struggled. Have a set of balls, if you can call someone out on a meaasge board he'll never see, try saying to his face.

rayhowland3 said:
Maize and Blue- c'mon, why didn't you just tell him he is an "idiot" and he was able to destroy Michigan football all by himself? You just needed to "inform him" on how to coach, how his players sucked, and how he needed to leave the defense alone. You know, bash him pretty much like you did when Michigan struggled. Have a set of balls, if you can call someone out on a meaasge board he'll never see, try saying to his face.

geez... take it easy ya crazed RichRod lover.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
It was really awkward. I was browsing there while my wife got her hair done at one of the salons and I'm looking at the football stuff and there's this guy standing there with his kid picking out football gear. And I say "a future Wolverine I hope" and then the guy looks up and it's fucking rr and says "maybe". I about crap my pants out of how uncomfortable it was. And then I say "well that's good to hear" and uncomfortably go about browsing, pretending like the guy I just said that to wasn't the Michigan coach who just got fired.

Now I'm sitting outside the salon typing this.

This whole post cracked me up. that whole scene sounds ridiculous; this is one of the funnier, maybe the funniest things you've ever done... totally unintentional

I am a little shocked he still lives in the area. he has to be kinda rough on him when people recognize him. Especially when he comes across someone who has no problem being an ass in public.

Back