Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

European Championships 2012

biggunsbob

In Poland. Games start on Friday.. Top 2 teams from each group advance to the knock out stage. Group B and D look to be the toughest.

Group A.
Czech Republic
Greece
Poland
Russia
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group B.
Denmark
Germany
Netherlands
Portugal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group C.
Croatia
Ireland
Italy
Spain
Group D
England
France
Sweden
Ukraine

Last edited:
Group B is REALLY scary. When the bottom team is Denmark (imo) you've got a ridiculous group.

Past winners.

Year - Winners - Final Score - Runners Up - Host Nation
1960 - USSR....2-1........ Yugoslavia........France
1964 - Spain....2-1 ....... Soviet Union......Spain
1968 - Italy.....2-0.........Yugoslavia.........Italy
1972 - West Germany..3-0 USSR.............Belgium
1976 - Czechoslovakia..2-2 (a.e.t) 5-3 pens - West Germany - Yugoslavia
1980 - West Germany..2-1...Belgium.......Italy
1984 - France.............2-0.............Spain...........France
1988 - Netherlands.....2-0....Soviet Union..........West Germany
1992 - Denmark.........2-0....Germany..............Sweden
1996 - Germany.........2-1....Czech Republic......England
2000 - France............2-1....Italy.....................Belgium/Netherlands
2004 - Greece...........1-0....Portugal................Portugal
2008 - Spain.............1-0....Germany...............Austria/Switzerland

Group B is REALLY scary. When the bottom team is Denmark (imo) you've got a ridiculous group.

You are right by far the toughest...I have a feeling Germany will really play good for some reason.. Above what they normally do.

Last edited:
Again Funny how England has been in 7 of these and has never won or even been in the finals.

LOL.. Winner of Group A has to play the runner up of group B. Good luck with that...

Kinda crazy how many issues they have with insane, racist fans over there. I think the sentiment is that the average European is better educated and more genteel than the avg American, but no American fans are this bad, and overtly racist: Link.

the closest might be SEC, ohio, or WVU fans.

LOL.. Winner of Group A has to play the runner up of group B. Good luck with that...

Group A is definitely the weakest of the 4.

I didn't see the opening Poland/Greece match, but the scorecard looked ridiculous. two red cards, three yellows.

The Polish red card was deserved as the goalkeeper tripped up an attacker in the box on a 1v1 opprotunity.

However, the Greek red card was horse shit, more specifically the second yellow that led to the red. However the first yellow was pretty weak as well.

Greece would've won if not for that weak ass penalty shot.

The Polish red card was deserved as the goalkeeper tripped up an attacker in the box on a 1v1 opprotunity.

However, the Greek red card was horse shit, more specifically the second yellow that led to the red. However the first yellow was pretty weak as well.

Greece would've won if not for that weak ass penalty shot.

the reports said the Polish reserve goalie made a huge save & was the hero of the match

the reports said the Polish reserve goalie made a huge save & was the hero of the match

He saved the PK that was awarded on the red but I can't say he was the hero based on one save.

I'd say the hero was Salpingidis as he was electric the moment he set foot on the pitch. Greece looked lost until he was subbed in, scored a goal, and set up what would have been a second goal if not for the Polish keeper's illegal tackle.

Denmark could pull the upset over Netherlands..Netherlands are dominating shots and possession but can't seem to get a break. Denmark has taken advantage of their limited chances and are now in the lead.

Damn Denmark played fantastic in the 1-0 win...TV guys said it is the first ever win by Denmark in a open match of the EC.. They deserved it and so out played power house Netherlands...bye bye orange!!!!!

Spain and Italy sure are the class of group C.. By far... Man can both of these teams pass the ball..

Last edited:
bummer... Italy can't get a W against the croats. sucks to be up 1-0 after a great first half, then allow the equalizer. Italy has played like garbage in the last couple tourneys I've watched whenever they get sub-par opponents.

Italy is my team, BTW, on account of my Italian heritage.

Back