Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winged cornhole board

redandguilty

There are several collegiate or pro sports team themed boards in my neighborhood. I can't even invite people over for beer + fire pit without someone bringing a set of boards. So I'm building a set. Transferring the winged helmet to a 2 by 4 ft board is proving difficult. No matter what I do, there's an angle that looks weird. I'm looking for advice or 2nd opinions. I could always buy a block M car sticker instead (which is what everyone else does.) The picture is unpainted wood, masking tape, and paper laid out to get a rough idea. I will have the correct colors when I do it.

Attachments

• DSC05385.jpg
    DSC05385.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 28
You toss bean bags in the hole. There are two boards at opposite ends, you play in teams of two with your teammate being on the opposite end. Pretty much the same as horseshoes only different.

You toss bean bags in the hole. There are two boards at opposite ends, you play in teams of two with your teammate being on the opposite end. Pretty much the same as horseshoes only different.

Ahhh...got it. thx

Dang, that is slick.

How much did it cost to put that together, if you don't mind me asking?

Dang, that is slick.

Im guessing not much. Just wood and paint. Labor would be the biggest cost. Do you think you can make cornhole boards like red? Not a chance. Your shit would look retarded. You would end up mixing the paint and get sloppy green boards. Youd end up with msu boards.

Im guessing not much. Just wood and paint. Labor would be the biggest cost. Do you think you can make cornhole boards like red? Not a chance. Your shit would look retarded. You would end up mixing the paint and get sloppy green boards. Youd end up with msu boards.

There's that fag talk we talked about.

Dang, that is slick.

More than it should have. I bought 2 different shades of blue and 2 different shades of maize. I never added it up, but I'll try to remember...

The top 2'x4' boards were $14 each. You can do it for less with plywood, but you won't get the smooth surface you want unless you buy something a little better.

I think I needed about $8 worth of 2x4s.

I cut the holes with a router attachment on a dremmel that I already owned. Some people buy a 6" hole saw which is probably $25. ...but you might know someone that already bought one if you have friends that built boards.

Paint could have been $16. The tester size from Sherwin Williams was enough ($8 x 2 colors).

$6 for painters tape.

$12 for the carriage bolts/nuts. You could probably get away with smaller/cheaper bolts.

You also need wood putty and screws, which I already had.

The bags will set you back $25-40 depending on how regulation you want them.

-then the add ons-

http://www.amazon.com/Decal-Overlay...42100832&sr=8-10&keywords=cornhole+scoreboard

http://www.amazon.com/Cornhole-Nigh...qid=1342100767&sr=8-2&keywords=cornhole+light

The scoreboard is a good idea. The lights are just silly. I was hoping it would help for night playing, but it's not quite enough.

In response to these boards, the Spartan on the block built scoretower/beer holders which are actually pretty handy to have around. He has suggested that I build beer holder towers with a "Go Blue - M Club Supports You" banner between them, but I'm out of garage space for now.

There's that fag talk we talked about.

... And there was a time in this country, a long time ago, when reading wasn't just for fags and neither was writing. People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!

So about $70 or so. Not bad, definitely cheaper than the prices I hear. I might take this project on...with help from my torture-loving, but artistic step-daughter on the paint. You know, so I don't end up with Sparty boards.

... And there was a time in this country, a long time ago, when reading wasn't just for fags and neither was writing. People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!

Classic

So about $70 or so. Not bad, definitely cheaper than the prices I hear. I might take this project on...with help from my torture-loving, but artistic step-daughter on the paint. You know, so I don't end up with Sparty boards.

almost forgot. +$10 or so for the clear coat and also a bit more for rollers/brushes.

My favorite part of that speech is when he says "There was a time when smart people in this country were cool... Well, maybe not cool, but they were respected..."

Nice work red! I think your Sparty neighbor actually has a good idea.....

Hey Red, you wouldn't have step by step instructions would you? That board is awesome.

The reason I ask is my projects that I take on, that should be about a weekend worth of work turn into major operations, several months of gnashing teeth, and a boatload of trips to Home Depot.

I should post sometime the fiasco that changing my oil, head lamps and brake pads turned out to be (two entire weekends - youch!). Made me realize $25 for an oil change really isn't that bad. :*)

I have family that loves playing this game, and since Northwestern and Chicago was home for a number of years for them, their's have a Cubbies theme on them. I think this would be a great answer.

Anyway if your willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Hey Red, you wouldn't have step by step instructions would you? That board is awesome.

The reason I ask is my projects that I take on, that should be about a weekend worth of work turn into major operations, several months of gnashing teeth, and a boatload of trips to Home Depot.

Weren't you bashing LS&A majors for being incompetent, do-nothing, liberal arts types? Sounds like you don't really have much to show for your scientific/engineering background.

at least not like my boy Red here, who can build impressive and aesthetically pleasing things with his bare hands.

Back