Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I just read Bradley beat Pacquiao

biggunsbob

See how boxing ranks.. I totally forgot about this fight till this morning then I read the article and low and behold yet another weird decision in boxing...No wonder people stopped watching the sport.. When you out connect a guy 253 to 159 and lose something sure is fishy....LOL Go back to 15 rounds and then we won't have this problem much anymore.. If anyone saw it please by all means enlighten us...

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...s-manny-pacquiao-controversial-split-decision

Last edited:
From Yahoo.

LAS VEGAS — Reporters were typing away in the late stages of the welterweight title fight Saturday between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley Jr. at the MGM Grand Garden. The fight got a late start, deadline beckoned and so journalists representing newspapers and Internet sites began clattering away on their keyboards as the fight rolled down the home stretch.

They mostly were preparing stories that said, essentially, Bradley fought a good, hard, honest fight and Pacquiao won a clear, convincing decision that kept hopes alive for a mega-fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Then, ring announcer Michael Buffer turned the boxing world upside down when he announced that it was Bradley, not Pacquiao, who won a split decision. Jerry Roth favored Pacquiao, seven rounds to five, and had it 115-113. But C.J. Ross and Duane Ford each had it seven rounds to five, 115-113, for Bradley.

Referee Robert Byrd raises Timothy Bradley's arm as new champion (Chris Farina/Top Rank)And prompted the outrage to flow.

Tim Dahlberg of the Associated Press, one of the more veteran members on press row, had it 117-111 for Pacquiao, the same as Yahoo! Sports. Dahlberg wrote of the fight:

Timothy Bradley promised to shock, though the biggest shock in his fight with Manny Pacquiao came from the judges' scorecards.

In a fight Pacquiao seemed to have in hand, two judges decided otherwise, giving Bradley a split decision Saturday night and ending the Filipino fighter's remarkable seven-year unbeaten run.

Columnist Ed Graney of the Las Vegas Review-Journal nearly blew a gasket. When the scores were announced, he was shaking his head and saying, "What? What?" In his column, he questioned the ability of the judges.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. It's like waking up on Dec. 25 and wondering where all those presents came from, like a wife reacting with shock that flowers arrive on Feb. 14.

Boxing and ridiculous decisions by those who judge it have become more common than the Yankees spending money.

It's so old, so predictable, so unbelievably laughable.

Who are these people anyway?

He later poked fun at Bradley's corner, which believed its man had won the fight.

Bradley sung a different tune afterward, saying his corner told him that if he won the final round, he would win the fight.

Which, if so, means those advising him were as delusional as those judging the fight.

Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times was among the many who felt Pacquiao had clearly done enough to win. He led his post-fight report by writing:

In a stunning slight to punch statistics — and the naked eyes of most everyone else — two Nevada judges Saturday scored that Timothy Bradley upset Manny Pacquiao.

Veteran Tim Smith of the New York Daily News was blunt. He called it one of the worst decisions in history. Smith wrote:

Timothy Bradley had youth and confidence on his side. Manny Pacquiao possesses power and speed in abundance. Pacquiao made good use of his skills to pound Bradley, but he couldn't convince two of the judges at ringside that he did enough in one of the worst decisions in recent boxing history.

The Boston Herald's Ron Borges, a Hall of Fame boxing writer if ever there was one, had one of the best takes on the outcome. He, too, had Pacquiao 117-111.

A lot of things are legal in Las Vegas that are not legal anywhere else. Last night robbery was among them.

After what appeared to most observers to be a lopsided victory for Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Pacquiao became the victim of not merely petty theft but grand larceny when it was announced he'd lost a split decision to undefeated former junior welterweight champion Timothy Bradley.

Frankly, the decision was so outrageous as to defy description. Even the judge who ruled for Pacquiao, Jerry Roth, didn't get it right, scoring it 115-113 for the champion.

There were a few who had Bradley. Brian Kenny, who was calling play-by-play, scored it for Bradley, as did San Francisco 49ers running back Timothy Bradley. Dave Cokin, a long-time Las Vegas radio talk show host, sports bettor and boxing observer, scored it a draw, 114-114.

Most, though, had the reaction of disbelief that Bob Velin of USA Today had, when he wrote:

Newly crowned WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley showed up at the postfight press conference Saturday night in a wheelchair, saying he thinks he broke one ankle as early as the second round and perhaps sprained the other. Which makes what happened in his title fight against Manny Pacquiao even more unbelievable.

In a split decision that stunned most everyone in the arena, even many of his supporters, Bradley defeated Pacquiao to take the belt of the Filipino fighter and congressman and hand him his first loss since 2005.

Bad decision

I watched it live, I too had it 117-111 for Pacquaio, I gave Bradley 3 rounds, the 1st, 10th, and 12th, but almost gave him the 2nd and 11th. At worst I could see 115-113 for Pacquaio. The 3rd, 5th, and 9th rounds were also pretty close, but I just couldn't see Bradley winning any of those.

The HBO announcers are morons, they acted like it was a total blowout, they were so biased it was atrocious. Pacquaio won, but it was in no way a blowout. They completely ignored all of the good work Bradley did, he stopped Manny several times in his tracks. Sure Manny won, but this was a pretty close fight and despite what you hear, it's not one of the worst decisions ever. Clearly a wrong decision IMO, but this was not a 119-109 fight like the HBO guys had it. It was closer than that, and if you score it round by round Bradley definitely won a 3-5 rounds.

Pacquaio didn't look good, he took off the 1st half of just about every round and took off the last few rounds almost entirely. He has only himself to blame. this was eerily similar to Marquez-Pacquaio III.

Ok J... Thanks.. So the punch numbers mean nothing? 253 to 159 is a pretty large gap.

I watched it live as well and more or less agree with johnny's assessment. Lucky for me I actually had my money on Bradley...and I do feel as if I found myself on the good side of a fixed fight. I had Bradley winning rounds two and nine. But he was close in a lot of other rounds.

In regard to your comment bob, of course punch numbers mean something, but they don't mean everything.

Last edited:
Ok guys thanks... It is just about every news organization is saying that MP won the fight easily... Glad you won the fixed fight... I just find most box boring now... I can't afford the PP and i just liked boxing when it was 15 rounds for championship fights... I know 12 rounds is for safety measures but it is boxing... All fighters may die if they get hit just right...

Ok guys thanks... It is just about every news organization is saying that MP won the fight easily... Glad you won the fixed fight... I just find most box boring now... I can't afford the PP and i just liked boxing when it was 15 rounds for championship fights... I know 12 rounds is for safety measures but it is boxing... All fighters may die if they get hit just right...

Boxing's shady as hell now bob. I think to an extent it always has been, but it's worse. I don't/won't pay for the pay-per-view either. You know shit's wrong though when Bob Arum, who represents both fighters, immediately starts talking about how much money he can make off of the rematch. I'll still enjoy it from time to time, but I wholeheartedly agree that it ain't what it used to be...

I miss the days of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Holmes, Duran, etc

Ok J... Thanks.. So the punch numbers mean nothing? 253 to 159 is a pretty large gap.

That is correct, those mean nothing; those are just HBO's own arbitrary and inconsequential measures...just like Harold Lederman's scorecard.

Boxing's shady as hell now bob. I think to an extent it always has been, but it's worse. I don't/won't pay for the pay-per-view either. You know shit's wrong though when Bob Arum, who represents both fighters, immediately starts talking about how much money he can make off of the rematch. I'll still enjoy it from time to time, but I wholeheartedly agree that it ain't what it used to be...

I miss the days of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Holmes, Duran, etc

Remember, Hearns - Leonard II ended in a controversial draw.

Controversy on the cards is nothing new.

I won't pay for pay per view, either, and I don't even watch the replays on HBO anymore.

If I were to watch the replay of this one, I'm sure I'd come to the conclusion that, yes, indeed, it looks like a controversial split decision to me.

So what, the hell, why waste my time?

Last edited:
Sports officiating has been terrible this year. MLB and NHL especially, now Boxing.

I'm beginning to worry that someone might get screwed in the Olympics because of how a judge decides to score them.

At least in NHL and MLB it seems to be just idiot Refs/Umps, but their might have been some money changing hands with the Judges in the Pacman fight.

I watched it live as well and more or less agree with johnny's assessment. Lucky for me I actually had my money on Bradley...and I do feel as if I found myself on the good side of a fixed fight. I had Bradley winning rounds two and nine. But he was close in a lot of other rounds.

In regard to your comment bob, of course punch numbers mean something, but they don't mean everything.

Hey do you guys remember that episode of Taxi where the wise guys come to Tony before a fight and offer him money to take a dive and he refuses and when he gets in the ring Tony tells the opponent he was offered money to take a dive and refused and the opponent answered, "yeah, I know, so they came to me and now I'm the one who is gonna take the dive" and so all of a sudden Tony doesn't wanna hit him now and he raises his arms, I think, or something like, in the old "what am I gonna do now?" kind of way and one of the arms gets near the opponents face and the opponent just flops?

Gosh, that was a funny episode.

Hate to compare boxing to the UFC but it seems like whenever dana white is upset with a decision someone gets fined, fired or the decision is reversed via press conference. Then theres boxing....where they do nothing to the 70+ year old that cant even see and theyre in charge of making a decision that has billions of dollars on the line.

When has that ever happen in the UFC? Dana White is famous for saying "don't leave it in the judges hands". He has no control over the judges' decisions, they are run by the states athletic association.

WBO launches probe....

The WBO announced Wednesday that it will review Timothy Bradley's controversial victory over Manny Pacquiao in Saturday's welterweight championship fight.

Bradley, the WBO's junior welterweight champ, moved up in weight and claimed a split decision to take Pacquiao's WBO welterweight belt at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

However, there was a storm of controversy after judges Duane Ford and C.J. Ross both scored the fight 115-113 in favor of Bradley while Jerry Roth had it 115-113 for Pacquiao.

The vast majority of observers had Pacquiao clearly winning the fight, many in lopsided fashion. Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who promotes both fighters, was outraged and has called on the Nevada attorney general to inquire about the scoring.

WBO president Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, who was ringside for the fight, said his organization's championship committee will review the fight. He said that the committee "will meet soon" and "will examine [the fight] with five recognized international judges to evaluate the video of the match and agree to what emerges."

Valcarcel said the scoring judges' integrity played no part in his decision to review the fight.

"I want to clarify that in no way does this say we are doubting the capacity of these judges, which we consider as honest and competent judges," Valcarcel said.

The WBO could order a rematch, although that is unnecessary because Pacquiao has a rematch clause in his contract that entitles him to an immediate second fight.

Pacquiao said after the fight that he would like a rematch, and Bradley also has said he would honor the commitment. Arum had Nov. 10 set aside for Pacquiao's next fight, whether against Bradley again or somebody else, well before Saturday's fight.

Saturday's fight generated a live gate of $8,963,180 from 13,229 tickets sold.

Not particularly. I do feel like Pac-Man won, but I think more than anything it's for show and nothing will come of it. I mean hell, they even say we're not doubting the capacity of the judges. What the hell are you probing then? Either the judge's capacity is in question or a fixed fight, but you can't find a fix by watching the tape again.

Arum's counting $$$$$$. Because of the controversy Pac-Bradley II will generate income. More than any other fighter that you could slide in that November 10th slot, aside from Floyd. Just my opinion though...

Not particularly. I do feel like Pac-Man won, but I think more than anything it's for show and nothing will come of it. I mean hell, they even say we're not doubting the capacity of the judges. What the hell are you probing then? Either the judge's capacity is in question or a fixed fight, but you can't find a fix by watching the tape again.

Arum's counting $$$$$$. Because of the controversy Pac-Bradley II will generate income. More than any other fighter that you could slide in that November 10th slot, aside from Floyd. Just my opinion though...

Arum will likely make more than Pac-May on Pac-Bradley II. They are both Top Rank fighters, and Pac-May may not even be a 50-50 split for Top Rank.

Arum will likely make more than Pac-May on Pac-Bradley II. They are both Top Rank fighters, and Pac-May may not even be a 50-50 split for Top Rank.

Absolutely true, but Pac-May would draw a shit ton more viewers and ticket prices would be through the roof. What I should have typed is "More than any other fighter that you could slide in that November 10th slot, aside from maybe Floyd."

Back