Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Padres coach Darrel Akerfelds dies

biggunsbob

RIP..

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Padres bullpen coach Darrel Akerfelds, who pitched for five seasons in the major leagues, died Sunday pancreatic cancer. He was 50.

Akerfelds had been bullpen coach for San Diego since June 2001.

"Ak was an invaluable member of the Padres coaching staff," manager Bud Black said. "He was a loyal Padre to the end. Players and coaches were made better by Ak. He will be sorely missed."

He was diagnosed with cancer in December 2010. Last season, Akerfelds attended 148 of the 162, games despite undergoing chemotherapy. He was still with the team in the early part of the season before he finally stopped coming to the ballpark.

A Denver native, Akerfelds played professional baseball for 12 seasons and appeared in 125 major league games. He was 9-10 with 5.08 ERA pitching for Oakland, Cleveland, Texas and Philadelphia.

Akerfelds was a seventh-round draft pick of the Seattle Mariners in 1983.

Too many young people are being cut down by cancer.

I agree... Seems like we would have found a cure for all cancers by now... I know a lot more live now days but it still is terrible when young people die from it.. My grandma died from cancer but she was 76 at the time.. She never smoked but got throat cancer, and then other cancers. I remember when I was young her and my grandfather would use the 2 or 3 Saccharin Tablets in each coffee... I know they say they are safe but i always wondered about that.

Back