Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. indians Game Thread August 21

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Boesch RF
Young LF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Avila C
Peralta SS
Betemit 3B
Santiago 2B
Porcello P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=310821106&teams=cleveland-indians-vs-detroit-tigers
Tigers vs. indians Game Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/29966/rick-porcello
Porcello vs. indians.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28625/ubaldo-jimenez
Tigers hitters vs. jimenez.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_21_clemlb_detmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310821106&teams=cleveland-indians-vs-detroit-tigers
Boxscore from espn

The Tigers need just 23,511 through the door at Comerica today to top the two-million mark in tickets sold. Supposed to be another sellout.
Alex Avila in August: .442 AVG/.566 OBP/.788SLG. Mario says they will compare his month to some of the top Tigers Augusts in club history today.
EYE OF THE TIGER?: Tigers' Porcello in July: 5-0, 3.06 ERA.
Porcello in Aug.: 0-2, 8.44 ERA.
Career vs. Indians: 4-1, 3.50 ERA.
Austin Jackson not struck out in the last eight games, and he's 4-for-11 in two-strike counts over that span. no jinx for posting please.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Reminds me of when Pudge had that month he hit. 500.
It does. When Avila comes up to bat he looks like he is calm and perfectly comfortable. I am really excited to have him as an every day catcher for years to come. I assume that he will get a little better defensively.

just breezing through past 10 years of stats I only found 2 seasons from mauer and 2 from posada of qualified catchers with better OPS than Avila.

pretty elite company.

This is out best possible lineup IMO. It's good to see out best team out there in a huge game. A loss today is no huge deal, but a win and we've really sent a message to Cleveland.

when does the love affair with Young in the 3 hole fall apart.I liked the addition to the lineup, but what has he done to deserve it?

I think they said yesterday that Avila had the highest batting average in the AL for the month of August so far. He's caught 15 straight games and has produced like that after having a poor July. He really deserves a lot of credit. The best compliment I can give him is he just seems like an extremely professional player in every aspect. Nothing seems to phase him.

hellifino said:
when does the love affair with Young in the 3 hole fall apart.I liked the addition to the lineup, but what has he done to deserve it?

Don't know except before yesterday he was hitting. 350 for Detroit with only 1 k :) I like BB there myself but that's Leyland.

Our "awful" minor league system produced an All-Star catcher in Avila, a borderline all-star in Boesch, and some other pretty nice pieces. You can't say enough about having a good catcher who has an arm, can call a good game, and then hit like Avila does. It's simply a position that 80% of the league takes the 1st 2 traits and are happy to bury their catcher at 8th or 9th in the lineup all season and if they get .250 and 40 RBIs they are thrilled. It's hard not to get excited about Avila as he looks like he's going to be a great player for years.

Avila is the one that dumbfounded me. I had some hope for Boesch but I didn't think Avila would do anything. I thought he was turrible. Glad I was wrong.

obviously the tigers have gotten some mileage out of their farm system not only in homegrown talent but also in guys like cabrera, fister, scherzer etc...through players the tigers either developed or drafted.....Detroit has never gotten a ton of love for their system but it's done the trick to this point imo.

Also it only makes sense that teams like the pirates, royals, etc...have deeper systems with better picks and also more compensatory picks as they let their established players go.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Avila is the one that dumbfounded me. I had some hope for Boesch but I didn't think Avila would do anything. I thought he was turrible. Glad I was wrong.

no question last year avila had some challenges but you could see almost from the start he had pretty good poise as a hitter imo. He went through some pretty bad stretches last year however....I too was one that was not sold on avila as a full timer this season.

I'm gonna be out in the car much of the day during the game today does anybody know the XM station off hand?

Wtf is Boesch hitting 2nd for? His numbers suck there, he needs to hit in front of Cabrera. He will never get good pitches hitting in front of Young.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]I'm gonna be out in the car much of the day during the game today does anybody know the XM station off hand?

TinselWolverine start with XM 176 the games channels start around there.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
[quote="TinselWolverine":80ubqgbw]I'm gonna be out in the car much of the day during the game today does anybody know the XM station off hand?

TinselWolverine start with XM 176 the games channels start around there.[/quote:80ubqgbw]

Thanks Kaline Country, I looked it up on line, appears it turns out it's on 89, the MLB channel itself.

update on the umpiring crew: Joe West is now at first, not second, putting him closer to the Indians dugout.

Back