Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mr. Tirico's (and Lloyd's it seems) Neighborhood

tinselwolverine

Now, since everybody is fascinated with celebrity, and as it turns out I'm quite familiar with the general area, allow me to take everybody on a little tour.

So we start with the school complex of Wines Elementary and Forsythe Middle School (Forsythe was a Junior when I was growing up) in the center.

Now to the north, you'll see the "Newport Hills" area. There was no "Newport Creek" when I was growing up, it's a subdivision in that area that has been developed more recently than that. This is the area where the more affluent kids who went to Wines and Forsythe lived.

Moving south to where Sunset ends (or begins, depending on your perspective) right at - it's actually the main exit of the school complex, the main entrance is about 50 or so feet north, off of Newport - and turning to the southeast as Sunset runs, and going downhill down Sunset, we enter into the "Greater Sunset Brooks" area, although I don't remember anybody ever calling it that back in the day.

This is the area where I grew up, a few houses from the corner of Sunset and Brooks. The area was middle to upper middle class; not quite so hoity toity as our schoolmates who lived in Newport Hills.

Going back to the school, and then moving to the neighborhood that's to the south and west of the school complex - this is where the kids whose families tended to be more middle and working class who went to Wines School lived.

I guess that's still the case, because apparently nobody seems to have bothered to give this neighborhood it's own name still.

Anyway, I hope that was educational and informative for everybody.

Se ya in the funny papers.

damfran said:
How long has Tirico lived there?

That's a good question; MichLady or Vic would know the answer to that better than I would...I've been gone a long time, and there isn't anybody there (except for MichLady) that I would know anymore...

All I know is my friend lives to the left after turning into the subdivision and Tirico's place is immediately to the right, if you turn that direction. Carr apparently lives in a more affluent subdivision attached to/or behind the exact neighborhood where Tirico and my friends live.

And FWIW, they bought what was called a "Pfizer House" back during the beginnings of the mortgage crisis and when Pfizer laid off all those workers ....they got the house for hundreds of thousands less than it had previously sold for.

bigvic said:
All I know is my friend lives to the left after turning into the subdivision and Tirico's place is immediately to the right, if you turn that direction. Carr apparently lives in a more affluent subdivision attached to/or behind the exact neighborhood where Tirico and my friends live.

And FWIW, they bought what was called a "Pfizer House" back during the beginnings of the mortgage crisis and when Pfizer laid off all those workers ....they got the house for hundreds of thousands less than it had previously sold for.

Cool. Your friend could walk to Wines every day then, just like I used to.

Vic, can you find out if Boy Scout Troop 78 still meets at Wines? That was my old Scout troop...

that's interesting. thanks for the map, tinsel.

I notice the name "Barton" on both sides of the Huron River. Where is "Barton Hills" exactly? Is it by the country club?

MichChamp02 said:
that's interesting. thanks for the map, tinsel.

I notice the name "Barton" on both sides of the Huron River. Where is "Barton Hills" exactly? Is it by the country club?

Here's Barton Hills, MichChamp, straight west from Newport Hills, through that little subdivision and on the other side of the Huron River. That's the neighborhood where Tom Monoghan and the likes lived; I don't know if he lives in Ann Arbor anymore.

TheVictors11 was good enough to provide this photograph for this thread.

Go Blue!!!

Back