Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shanahan gets freaking jobbed!!!

biggunsbob

National hockey writers, analysts agree that former Red Wing Brendan Shanahan got shafted by Hall

It's not the end of the world that former Detroit Red Wing Brendan Shanahan was snubbed by the Hockey Hall of Fame Tuesday, in his first year of eligibility.

But it truly was shocking.

I was so sure Shanahan would get in, I had a story ready to post as soon as the announcement was made official. When word first filtered out that Shanahan wasn't one of the maximum four players selected, I thought someone was sending out erroneous information.

I waited for the official word from the Hall, and when it announced the four entries -- Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin – well, I'm probably not the only one who had to do a quick re-write.

Anyway, Shanahan probably will get in next year (just to be safe, don't put any money on that), but most hockey writers and analysts across North America agreed that his omission was egregious.

Here is sampling of what they tweeted:

Kevin Allen, USA Today: “Don't have any issue with today's HHOF choices. But Shanahan should have been automatic.''

Matthew Barnaby, former player and TV analyst: “I am blown away that Sundin made it and No Shanahan. Wow!''

Rich Chere, Newark Star-Ledger: “Mats Sundin in the Hall of Fame before three-time Stanley Cup champion Brendan Shanahan? Really?''

Nick Cotsonika, Yahoo! Sports: “Don't understand how Sundin is a first-ballot Hall of Famer and Shanahan is not. … Shanahan will have his day. It just should have been today.''

Darren Dreger, TSN: “I do my best to respect all nominees and the process, however, no Shanahan and no Pat Burns makes NO sense. Hall of Fame debate will rage on.''

Ray Ferraro, TSN: “For all asking--and there is a lot-- I would've picked shanahan before Sundin this year.''

Stan Fischler, hockey writer: “Brendan Shanahan belongs in Hall of Fame ahead of #Mats Sundin. Shanny won a Cup; Sundin won nothing but Toronto writers. Voters blunder.''

Elliotte Friedman, CBC: “Surprised Shanahan didn't get in. Very deserving.''

Joe Haggerty, CSN New England: “Can't wait to hear Will Arnett doling out punishment as Brendan Shanahan to the Hockey HOF for snubbing Shanny today.''

Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal: “Sorry but Brendan Shanahan would have been a better first-ballot HHOF guy than Mats Sundin. More pts and 3 Cups, plus fearsome fighter.''

Bob McKenzie, TSN: “Personally, I think it's ludicrous that Brendan Shanahan wasn't a first-ballot HHOFer, and that Fred Shero and Pat Burns are still not there.''

Pierre LeBrun, ESPN: “Thrilled for Bure and Oates. Their HHOF call was long overdue. Stunned, however, Shanahan wasn't first ballot.''

Adam Proteau, formerly of The Hockey News: “If I were in charge of the Hockey Hall of Fame inductions today, Sakic, Shanahan, Fred Shero, Pat Burns and Geraldine Heaney would be in.''

Dan Rosen, NHL.com: “Like many others, I, too, am surprised that Shanahan did not get the call today.''

The 18-member Hall-of-Fame selection committee features six former players, six former management personnel and six longstanding media members.

Most agree that Sakic, a two-time Stanley Cup champion with Colorado and a former Hart Trophy and Conn Smythe Trophy winner, was at the head of this class and a no-brainer.

Shanahan's statistics and accomplishments, compared to the competition, figured to get him in, too. He had 656 goals and 1,354 points and won three Cups with the Red Wings.

The other three have no Cups.

Oates (1,420) had more points than Shanahan, and some believe Oates, who became Hall eligible in 2007, should have made it sooner.

The committee probably felt Bure, who became eligible in 2006, should already have been in as well. He had only 437 goals and 779 points, but he played only 702 games, so his 1.11 points per game average was better than Oates (1.06), Sundin (1.00) and Shanahan (0.89). Plus, he had three productive seasons with CSKA Moscow before reaching the NHL.

Ultimately, Shanahan's lower points per game average, the result of sticking around longer than he probably should have, might have cost him his first-ballot entry.

No other reason is apparent.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but the only deserving person in that lot, in my opinion, now and perpetually, is Sakic. I believe that the Hockey Hall of Fame has devolved into the Hall of the Very Good Hockey Players.

Granted, there are old-timers who never should have been inducted, but no need to dilute the field with present-day players.

Last edited:
Oates should of been in there a while ago. Sakic and Shanahan both deserved it as well. Only reason Sundin got in must be because there are many Toronto biased HoF voters.

He had 656 goals and 1,354 points which is enough for me.. I agree with Zoom about the bias.... Plus Red Wing hate .....LOL

Yea unless you live in Windsor many if not all Canada hockey fans dislike the Wings. Is there a limit on how many players can be inducted a year?

Back