Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Top Undrafted

dubbsco

Kevin Jones- West Virginia
J'Covan Brown- Texas
Scott Machado- Iona
Tu Holloway- Xavier
Henry Sims- G'Town
William Buford- OSU
Drew Gordon- New Mexico
Jordan Taylor- Wisconsin

A little shocked Gordon, Machado, and Jones didn't get drafted. Anyone here worth a look?

Jordan Taylor always seemed like a solid college player..if he's big enough he'll get a look I'd think. His shooting % andppg dipped last season. Buford seems like he would be the closest to an NBA player..I mean the guy was a potential 1st rounder before this past inconsistent season.

Last edited:
I'm also on the Machado wagon, so to speak. If nothing else, he can find the open man. On a team with a combo guard as it's primarily ball handler (Stuckey) and a developing 2nd year PG (Knight), it wouldn't hurt to have a steady pass-first player off the bench.

Seems like some good names on that list... Tell me something? Can they make more overseas or a free agent deal in the NBA?

Seems like some good names on that list... Tell me something? Can they make more overseas or a free agent deal in the NBA?

Depends...Overseas if you're good enough. If your just a scrub you won't.

Assuming any of these undrafted guys are good enough to make it overseas and here, they will make more overseas. They'll be minimum contracts in the NBA, whereas they would make twice as much easy if they can make an overseas team.

Even WNBA players get paid more overseas. My brothers girlfriend may be headed to play in Europe.

The only reason more players don't go overseas is because they have a crazy idea that it's NBA or bust. Many of the NBA players taken in the first round would make considerably more money overseas.

Well the ultimate goal for any bball player is to make it to the NBA which is why all good foreigners come here. But I understand what you're saying.

Yeah, the prestige from playing in the NBA often outweighs the extra money a person could make overseas. There have also been a few times where young players would get screwed out of playing time due to older foreign players getting the time.

And yeah, I would love it if we took a good look at Machado.

Yeah, the prestige from playing in the NBA often outweighs the extra money a person could make overseas. There have also been a few times where young players would get screwed out of playing time due to older foreign players getting the time.

And yeah, I would love it if we took a good look at Machado.

I think it has as much to do with ignorance as prestige. How prestigious is it really when most of these kids spend their careers on the bench or in the D-league, just to eventually lose their job to another low cost rookie. There is such an unfair stigma that Americans have about foreign leagues and countries. And the NBA tends to capitalize on that. How different of a league would it be if everyone in the 20+ range of the first round just up and left for more money? Foreign leagues don't depress the contracts of their rookies, that's only the NBA.

I think it has as much to do with ignorance as prestige. How prestigious is it really when most of these kids spend their careers on the bench or in the D-league, just to eventually lose their job to another low cost rookie. There is such an unfair stigma that Americans have about foreign leagues and countries. And the NBA tends to capitalize on that. How different of a league would it be if everyone in the 20+ range of the first round just up and left for more money? Foreign leagues don't depress the contracts of their rookies, that's only the NBA.

I think this is pretty far off base. The NBA is the best league in the entire world, not even close hands down. You're basically saying (outside of the money) why not go play minor league baseball instead of being a pinch hitter for the yankees.

EVERY foreign player wants to come to the NBA...they don't stay and build power league over there. They only hope to put up good enough numbers to be drafted by an NBA team because it's the best league in the world, the most showcased hoops league in the world and a chance for them to live out a dream. If I have the choice of playing in Italy or playing for the Bobcats, I'm packing my bags for Charlotte. Sure players in the 20+ range could go to Europe but why? This is the opportunity here...those 2nd rounders dream is to play in America under the spot light for the best league in the world with the best players in the world..not to make a little more cash and play in romania never to be heard from again.

Not to mention not everyone wants to leave their home country of the US to live over seas. Family, home sickness, comfortability etc are all factors.

First of all, every foreign player does not want to come to the NBA. There have been numerous players that were even drafted relatively high that never cared to move and take a pay cut just to be in the NBA.

What I'm saying is that kids entering the draft and the NBA have a very skewed perspective of what basketball really is. They see lights and fame and parties and assume that's the rest of their life. But the NBA, and every league, is about business. Is the deep bench player really capitalizing on fame, is he even famous to begin with? Players entering the NBA are young and have very little perspective. They don't realize their career will probably only last 5 years or less, and that they money they make in those 5 years isn't going to last forever.

The prestige of being in the NBA is highly overrated. Unless you are a star, you are forgotten the minute you are out of the league anyway. Is it really worth saying, "I played with the best," when you are 35 and out of money? Call me crazy or naive, but I bet the perspective at 35 for those career backups on cheap deals is seeing a lot more value in making double their money overseas.

I'm not necessarily degrading late picks who come over. Most probably think they can be stars, and it just doesn't work out that way. Many probably just don't want to move out of the country. And many are equally stuck here due to family, education, or other responsibilities. I'm just saying, most of the players who are drafted will fail. They will play only a few years (if at all) and never see the NBA again. I don't blame them for trying, but I do think there is a lack of real knowledge and realistic expectation that keeps young guys from realizing the far better opportunities they could have overseas.

First of all, every foreign player does not want to come to the NBA. There have been numerous players that were even drafted relatively high that never cared to move and take a pay cut just to be in the NBA.

What I'm saying is that kids entering the draft and the NBA have a very skewed perspective of what basketball really is. They see lights and fame and parties and assume that's the rest of their life. But the NBA, and every league, is about business. Is the deep bench player really capitalizing on fame, is he even famous to begin with? Players entering the NBA are young and have very little perspective. They don't realize their career will probably only last 5 years or less, and that they money they make in those 5 years isn't going to last forever.

The prestige of being in the NBA is highly overrated. Unless you are a star, you are forgotten the minute you are out of the league anyway. Is it really worth saying, "I played with the best," when you are 35 and out of money? Call me crazy or naive, but I bet the perspective at 35 for those career backups on cheap deals is seeing a lot more value in making double their money overseas.

I'm not necessarily degrading late picks who come over. Most probably think they can be stars, and it just doesn't work out that way. Many probably just don't want to move out of the country. And many are equally stuck here due to family, education, or other responsibilities. I'm just saying, most of the players who are drafted will fail. They will play only a few years (if at all) and never see the NBA again. I don't blame them for trying, but I do think there is a lack of real knowledge and realistic expectation that keeps young guys from realizing the far better opportunities they could have overseas.

The opportunity is in the NBA..the opportunity to be a star is there. The opportunity to make money is there..these guys are just looking for a shot. If they don't make it and they are really good enough to make it overseas, why not take the chance at the NBA and play overseas if/wehn it doesn't work out?

And you're wrong...those players overseas want to play in the NBA. Not making it to the NBA and not wanting to come to the NBA are 2 different things. Some guys are forced to stay overseas to develope, some guys are locked into contracts etc...Do you really think there are stars overseas who could handle NBA players that just don't want to come? I'm sure there's an exception here and there but I think it's pretty common knowledge that the NBA is the ultimate goal for basketball players of all countries. Beating the US in the olympics is also a huge goal. Whether you like it, think it's wrong, arrogant or whatever...the US rules the basketball world. People want to play here above all and get the most respect playing here. The entire country of China followed Yao Ming when he played for Houston. You are an absolute hero in your country if you play in the NBA.

Last edited:
Back