Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jordin Tootoo

biggunsbob

I know you guys have already posted this but here is the article. Thoughts?

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings added some toughness and abrasiveness to their fourth line by signing Jordin Tootoo to a three-year contract worth $1.9 million per season.

Tootoo, 28, spent his entire eight-year NHL career in Nashville, where he appeared in 486 games, picking up 46 goals and 79 assists, along with a minus-26 rating and 725 penalty minutes.

He is small (5-foot-9, 199) but stocky and very abrasive, but his aggressiveness sometimes leads to bad penalties.

Tootoo, who shoots right-handed, collected a career-high 30 points (six goals, 24 assists) in 2011-12. But he fell out of favor with coach Barry Trotz last season and played in only one game in Nashville's first-round playoff victory over Detroit.

I hate the guy...but the price was really cheap and he could be a good 4th line guy. He adds some more grit to the lower lines which the wings do need, but thats really all he brings.

Can't expect him to score more than 10 goals per year..

If they bring the whistles into the Joe I will lose my mind!

He likes to fight I believe, so he will protect our stars and play on the penalty kill possibly?

I hated him (obviously) as a Predator but it's because of that reason I like the signing. Tootoo is a pain in the pass and he could be a very valuable pain in the ass for us.

I can seem him and Helm on a line together...

Last edited:
Tootoo is no Bugsy Watson or even Dennis Polonich, but he fills a void. Much more enthused that Samuelsson has returned.

Much more enthused that Samuelsson has returned.

I go the exact opposite way on these two signings. Im indifferent about Samuelson being back. I always felt he was a bit lazy and doesn't really play any defense and he scares the hell out of me on the PP because if he gets caught he is terrible at stopping opposing forwards. That being said i think he is an upgrade over Hudler.

Im very excited about the Too Too signing. i hated the guy on the preds, but that is because he is a big hitter agitator and generally a guy everyone hates unless he is on your team. Think Kirk Maltby only Too Too will fight a bit more.

Too Too is by no means a heavyweight fighter but he is one of the best fighters in his weight class. The way the NHL is going there are fewer and fewer heavies so its really a middle weight league now anyways. The wings needed someone like this on their roster who can make them harder to play against. They have enough scoring types they need the guys who can work in the corners and make opposing forwards fear the fore check a little more. Also Too Too can play a little bit, he will never be confused with datsyuk but he does get garbage goals and is good in front of the net.

In fact the only thing that i dont like about this signing is that im scared ppl will bring those stupid whistles that the NSH fans used when he was on the ice. I will shove those down the throat of anyone who has one of those near me when i am at a wings game.

I go the exact opposite way on these two signings. Im indifferent about Samuelson being back. I always felt he was a bit lazy and doesn't really play any defense and he scares the hell out of me on the PP because if he gets caught he is terrible at stopping opposing forwards. That being said i think he is an upgrade over Hudler.

Im very excited about the Too Too signing. i hated the guy on the preds, but that is because he is a big hitter agitator and generally a guy everyone hates unless he is on your team. Think Kirk Maltby only Too Too will fight a bit more.

Too Too is by no means a heavyweight fighter but he is one of the best fighters in his weight class. The way the NHL is going there are fewer and fewer heavies so its really a middle weight league now anyways. The wings needed someone like this on their roster who can make them harder to play against. They have enough scoring types they need the guys who can work in the corners and make opposing forwards fear the fore check a little more. Also Too Too can play a little bit, he will never be confused with datsyuk but he does get garbage goals and is good in front of the net.

In fact the only thing that i dont like about this signing is that im scared ppl will bring those stupid whistles that the NSH fans used when he was on the ice. I will shove those down the throat of anyone who has one of those near me when i am at a wings game.

Just for you Mabre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCfGwdi_2Y

In fact the only thing that i dont like about this signing is that im scared ppl will bring those stupid whistles that the NSH fans used when he was on the ice. I will shove those down the throat of anyone who has one of those near me when i am at a wings game

I agree totally with Samuellson. I disagree on the second part. We don't have enough(or consistant scoring). That is the reason we've been knocked out the last few years. Finally count on them selling the whistles at the Joe. Easy money at concessions.

He's hard to play against and tough as nails. Exactly what we need.

We needed grit badly.. we were getting pushed around pretty easy towards the end of last year. I just hope KH can salvage the FA signings this year.. I have always liked Samuelson and was sorry to see him go.. But he is a tad older now, and a tad slower.. Will he hold up!!! I hope so.. I think Hudlers numbers come way down in Calgary next year..

Ugh Tootoo signing does nothing for us IMO. He's small, he's not talented, he takes bad penalties and he doesn't play defense. Overall, that's a horrible player even if he is a little bit 'gritty'. However, gritty can easily be misinterpreted with 'stupid'. Frankly, he offers little in the way of value and I think paying 1.9 mil for a guy who is very likely to wind up in Babs doghouse and out of the lineup is a mistake. There's a reason he didn't feature at all against the Wings this past playoff season.

There's a reason he didn't feature at all against the Wings this past playoff season.

I think this had more to do with the type of team the wings have than his play. He had one of the best years of his career last year in terms of scoring. The wings just feature a possession type of lineup rather than a dump and chase type team. i think NSH dressed players more apt to that style of play. The wings need a mix of both rather than trying to go all one way.

Also he may not be great on defense in the traditional sense. But his hitting and ability to cause chaos will create turnovers also he can win battles in corners which will give the team better chances with the puck on offense. how many other players on the roster can you say this about.

Last edited:
Back