Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mikael Samuelsson

biggunsbob

I know you already posted this but here is the article from m-live..Thoughts?

DETROIT ? The Detroit Red Wings, as they are accustomed to doing, have brought back a familiar face, signing forward Mikael Samuelsson to a two-year contract on Sunday for $3 million per season.

Samuelsson, 35, appeared in 54 games last season (six with Vancouver, 48 with Florida) and had 14 goals, 17 assists and a plus-1 rating.

The Red Wings like his size (6-foot-2, 218), his right-handed shot and his ability to play the point on the second power-play unit. And Samuelsson is comfortable in a dressing room featuring several fellow Swedes whom he was close to ? Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Johan Franzen, Jonathan Ericsson.

His deal includes a full no-trade clause.

Samuelsson played four seasons for the Red Wings, from 2005-06 to 2008-09. He appeared in 278 games and had 67 goals and 92 assists and a plus-49 rating.

He signed a three-year free-agent contract with the Vancouver Canucks in 2009 and was traded to the Panthers on Oct. 22, 2011, for forward David Booth.

Samuelsson also has played for San Jose, the New York Rangers and Pittsburgh during his 11-year NHL career.

Putting the Swedes back together!!!!! Missing # 5 though!!!!!

This signing pretty much guarantees that Hudler is gone. As they will basically play the same role on the team.

I liked Samuelsson when he was on the Wings, he got a bad wrap from the fans. I especially like that he is a right handed shooter, the wings desperately need a righty on the power play..I think that was one of the reasons they struggled so much on the PP last year.

Back