Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Corey Maggette excited about Pistons

biggunsbob

New Pistons forward Corey Maggette excited about opportunity in Detroit
Brenden savage mlive :

AUBURN HILLS ? Being traded from the last-place Charlotte Bobcats to the Detroit Pistons last week didn't surprise Corey Maggette and the veteran forward welcomed the change of scenery.
The Pistons acquired Maggette, 32, from the Bobcats in exchange for guard Ben Gordon and protected first-round draft choice.
The move will give the Pistons some financial freedom after the season as Maggette is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $10.9 million while Gordon is due more than $12 million this season with a player option for $13 million next season.
"I wasn't surpised about it, the trade," Maggette said this morning. "Once you get toward the end of your career, the last year of your contract, things will happen. That's just what basketball is all about. I was excited about it.
"I have an opportunity to try to excel more if I want to continue to play more. I have another opportunity here. Coming from Charlotte, where you had the worst record in the league, this an improvement. I'm just looking forward to the challenge."
Maggette, who has played for five teams during his 13-year career, was limited to 32 games last season because of a right Achilles injury that ended his season three weeks early. He averaged 15 points and 3.9 rebounds last season.
He also underwent off-season knee surgery but expects to be ready for training camp and is excited about getting the opportunity to work with Pistons strength coach Arnie Kander as he prepares for his first campaign in Detroit.
Maggette likes the nucleus the Pistons have with third-year forward Greg Monroe, second-year guard Brandon Knight and rookie center Andre Drummond.
"With the people here, definitely with Arnie being here, being able to help me extend my career depending on how long I want to play ? depending on if I want to continue to play ? it can only help," he said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity.
"God willing, it's whatever he wants to continue to do (in the future) I'm going to continue to do. This is another chapter with Detroit. I'm very happy to be here. Whatever happens next year, we'll see."
For his career, Maggette has averaged 16.2 points and 4.9 rebounds. His best season was 2004-05, when he averaged 22.2 points and 6.0 rebounds for the Clippers.
Maggette was drafted in the first round (13th overall) by Seattle in 1999 after playing at Duke.

When healthy he's a good player. Pretty solid 2 way player..good size for his spot, versitle, gets to the the line a ton (when healthy)...problem is he has rarely been healthy the last few years. He could be an asset to a better team if he plays well in Detroit..could be a guy Detroit can deal to a contendar later this year if he plays well or he may just help Detroit compete for a playoff spot this season. Odds are he ends up sore and on the bench but you never know..

Yeah, it would be fantastic if he stayed healthy for a full year for us, and even more fantastic if we swapped him for a pick midway. Sometimes certain guys just click, and it helps them stay healthier due to something with the mental part of the game. He seems like a decent guy...well at least I don't remember him complaining to the public about stuff, but I could easily be overlooking something.

Yeah, it would be fantastic if he stayed healthy for a full year for us, and even more fantastic if we swapped him for a pick midway. Sometimes certain guys just click, and it helps them stay healthier due to something with the mental part of the game. He seems like a decent guy...well at least I don't remember him complaining to the public about stuff, but I could easily be overlooking something.

Probably overlooking that gigantic contract he had. Tough to be too pissy with management or teammates when you're getting paid Steve Nash dollars to be Corey Maggette. lol

Last edited:
Probably overlooking that gigantic contract he had. Tough to be too pissy with management or teammates when you're getting paid Steve Nash dollars to be Corey Maggette. lol

lol fair enough.

How is freakin' Ben Gordon 12m dollars worth?

He's not..thats why I was more than happy to see Detoit throw that money at him instead of Chicago. When he's hot he's hot..but other than that he's an undersized 2 guard who has to shoot a high volume to be happy and successful. Can't play defense either.

He's not..thats why I was more than happy to see Detoit throw that money at him instead of Chicago. When he's hot he's hot..but other than that he's an undersized 2 guard who has to shoot a high volume to be happy and successful. Can't play defense either.

You should make your way over to the Lions board, check out the qb rankings.

You should make your way over to the Lions board, check out the qb rankings.

I saw Jaws put Rivers at 7..what a joke. Same numbers as Romo over a career, Romo gets ripped for not winning superbowls, Rivers misses the playoffs in the AFC West. (siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh) I just....I'm....it makes no..... nevermind.

Back