Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Minnesota could be pulling both guys?????

biggunsbob

Good get for them if they do... I hope Kenny has a plan B.

Reports indicate Ryan Suter, Zach Parise leaning toward signing with Minnesota Wild.

The Minnesota Wild could be on the verge of pulling off one of the biggest free-agent coups in NHL history.

Reports are emerging that Minnesota could be close to landing Nashville defenseman Ryan Suter and New Jersey forward Zach Parise, who are easily the most coveted free agents on the market this summer.

Michael Russo, a Wild beat writer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reported late Tuesday night that Parise was in Minneosta to meet with officials for the Wild, who also sent a contingent to Madison, Wis., to meet Suter face-to-face.

The Detroit Red Wings, who also would love to sign both players, sent owner Mike Ilitch, general manager Ken Holland and advisor Chris Chelios to Madison Tuesday in an effort to sign Suter.

"The Wild has made gargantuan long-term contract offers to both players," Russo wrote. "Exact figures haven't emerged, but teams interested in Parise are believed to be offering contracts worth $100 million and more, and Suter more than $80 million.
"Now it's only a matter of the two deciding if they want to play together in Minnesota and be part of package to help shape the future of a franchise or choose other destinations. Yes, there is a likelihood the Wild will either land both or neither."
This morning, Russo wrote on his blog, "Today could be the day that Zach Parise and Ryan Suter make their big decisions, and things are tracking in a positive way if you’re a Wild fan. The Wild executed a bigtime power play yesterday in an attempt to land both the highly-coveted New Jersey Devils captain and Nashville Predators defenseman."
Parise told Josh Rimer of NextSportStar.com he's gotten closer to making a decision every day since free agency began Sunday. Parise said he does not anticipate having any more meetings with teams before making a decision
But the thought of playing with Suter appeals to Parise.
"We've talked," Parise told Rimer. "Ryan and I are friends. We've definitely talked throughout this thing. I'm definitely not going to disclose anything on his behalf. Ryan is a great player. He's a top defenseman. Those type of players don't come around often.
"I would love to play on a team with a defenseman like Ryan Suter. To get an opportunity to play with him would be great."
This morning, Rimer Tweeted, "I strongly believe now especially after my interview last night with Parise, that him and Suter are a package Deal! I'm also feeling pretty strongly that they'll both be pulling on Minnesota Wild Jersey's this season."
Suter's agent, Neil Sheehy, told MLive.com in an email late Tuesday night that "I don't know for sure" when Suter will make a decision. "Let's see what tomorrow brings."

Last edited:
Are they instantly cup contenders or still just the Wild Z?

They are for sure. They have a great goalie and 5-7 other really good-great players.

Where do the Wings go now? Blow their load on remaining 2nd and 3rd tier free agents or bide their time until next season?

Minnesota will be better for sure. But cup Contender? I still dont think so..they have roughly $30 million locked up in 4 guys and a $6 million goalie. That means they have over half of their cap tied up in 5 guys..We've seen that large goalie contracts rarely work out, and in the playoffs depth is much more important that front line scoring. Teams now-a-days are very skilled at eliminating the top line scoring, in order to advance it takes alot of secondary scoring which comes from depth guys.

I think Minny will definately make the playoffs now, but honestly, they are still a few players away from really challenging for a cup. The Capitals have two top flight offensive players (Ovie and Backstrom) along with a top 10 defenseman (Mike Green) yet they barely made the playoffs last year.

It will be interesting for sure, but just because they got the two top FA's doesnt catapult them to cup favorites IMO.

As far as what the Wings do now - they really dont have many options as far as FA goes - the top end guys (Defensively) have been pretty much picked over already. But offensively, id like to see the wings offer Semin a $5-6 million per year contract, and Doan a $3-4 mil. per year contract. If they can get those two guys (In addition to Samuelsson and Tootoo) I think they are in a MUCH better position offensively than they were last year.

That being said, if they sign those guys, that will mean the Wings have 19 forwards signed. The league max is 12, therefor I would expect a trade or two for some defensemen. and/or a Rick Nash/Bobby Ryan type impact forward.

The good news is the wings still have Tons of cap space, and tons of prospects/players to dangle in a trade. I can see them getting Yandle from Phoenix, or Bauwmester from Calgary, just to name a few. The Wings will upgrade their roster..they just will have to go a different route now.

Back