Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lakers Traded for Nash

zoombabyzoom

Really good move on their part. Nash has plenty in the tank and could really make this offense click. Looks like Metta World Peace might be amnestied while the team looks to use its MLE (mid-level exception) for a starting SF. Names that come to mind are Michael Beasley, Grant Hill, Nick Batum, or possibly Nick Young.

Interesting development ...definitely something the local LA media was on months ago ...plus, there is a bit of Nash/Kobe--Suns/Lakers playoff history.

Ugh, if Hill goes to the Lakers, I might actually have to semi root for them :/ If I were a Lakers fan, I would like getting somebody like Batum to play SF.

I know any team is better with Nash but I think there is a huge adjustment period here. Nash has usually played with slashers (until recently) and big men that finish around the rim..The Lakers don't have a wing and Pau is more of a pick n pop player at this point. Tough to tell for sure because I don't get a lot of Suns games but Nash doesn't seem to penetrate as much as he was 2 years ago either.

Of course the biggest adjustment is how will Kobe react. When has Kobe ever really had to defer to a PG? He's used to having the ball in his hands whenever he wants, and not used to another player trying to create for him. We'll see if Kobe moves well without the ball and allows Nash to be the player he has been his whole career or if Nash ends up being a better version of Mario Chalmers. (Periodically handling the rock to set up players but doing a lot more spotting up for 3 than he's used to.) Like I said, no doubt they'll be better but we'll see how long it takes them to adjust and IF they ever make a full adjustment. Should be interesting.

They definitely need to get some kind of low post back up as well...Even after last season, I have Bynum injury concerns.

Obviously this makes the Lakers better, Fisher and Sessions were train wrecks at PG. I'm not sure it makes them favorites or serious contenders. Nash doesn't improve their defense, and OKC carved them up. San Antonio too employs a similar mega high octane offense. Maybe they get more assists and open shots, but to whom? It's not like defenses are going to shade off Kobe/Pau/Bynum, and LA was already a top 10 passing squad.

Their offense will improve because Nash is an elite shooter, but he's also not a high usage player. He almost always passes. And then there is the elephant that no one seems to want to admit. Kobe just had the least efficient year of his career, and his shot selection has seemingly only gotten worse. He's getting old, and Nash is too. Expecting them to match previous years is unwise, and any significant decline (which is going to happen sooner or later) would be a huge hit.

Back