Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What is our next move guys?

biggunsbob

Let me know what you think we should do...Thanks ahead of time!!!!! Go Wings!!! I still think we are better then the Wild!!!

From what I've been reading and looking into....

- Rick Nash Trade: Looks like the Wings/Jackets have made a couple offer/counter offers in the past 48hrs. Blue Jackets have really high asking price (Franzen, Filpula, Nyquist, and Smith). Seems like the Wings are ok with moving Valteri and others but want to keep Franzen and Smith. Meanwhile most people believe the Penguins lack the talent to trade to get him and the Rangers are unwilling to move the first 4 players/prospects that Columbus has been asking for. However, trading within a division isn't very common with such a great player.

-Bobby Ryan Trade: Not a whole lot of information on this, more just speculation. Its almost as if Rich Nash saga needs to unfold before Ryan gets moved.

-Shane Doan: He will only leave Phoenix if the ownership problems persist which should be resolved by Monday. Shane and his agent have called the Red Wings multiple times asking for an offer sheet and gaging the Wings interest.

-Alexander Semin: Remains fairly quite on this front, Wings do have interest but haven't sent an official offer his way. However, I think if the Wings can't get Nash we will move to Semin.

-Jay Bouwmeester: J-Bo is available for trade and many experts think his offense would re-invigorate itself in Detroit's system. There hasn't been any news on whether or not Detroit has engaged in trade talks yet though.

-Shea Weber: Rumor's starting to circulate that a team could throw a poison pill offer on the RFA so that Nashville who said they would match any offer, can't. Meaning that Weber would get a deal where the first year he would make around 14 million, a figure that Nashville can't do.

-Evander Kane: Has been rumored to be on the trade market as well, but he will have to wait till the other dominoes fall.

-Keith Yandle: Also on the trade market, looks to be on the Wings radar. Trade talks haven't been confirmed but looks like if they havent started they will soon.

Overall, here are my thoughts. If/when Columbus drops its crazy demands and we can get Nash I say do it. Sure he makes more than Ryan and would make more than Semin. But, Nash is better than those two and is a really good goal scorer which we need. Nash is better than Parise as well, so think of it that way. Yandle or J-Bo would be great for our defense as well, and I would think snagging the Calgary D-man would be a lot easier and less expensive (terms of picks, players). For example, trade Valteri, Nyquist, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and a 2nd Round Pick for Rick Nash. Then move Quincey, Mursak, and 1st Round Pick for Jay Bouwmeester.

Nash / Datsyuk / Bertuzzi
Franzen / Zetterberg / Samuelsson
Abdelkader / Helm / Cleary
Tootoo / Emmerton / Eaves
Scratch: Miller

Bouwmeester / Kronwall
Ericsson / White
Smith / Kindl

Howard / Gustavsson

Also, after the trades and resigning Abdelkader (rumor to be just under 2 million a year). We should be around 4-5 million under the cap, so we could go after another defenseman. Also, we have tons of prospects to trade. And that Damien Brunner kid we signed last week...Holland says he is a top 6 forward next year.

Last edited:
Good post Zoom. I also have really high hopes on Brunner, I think he could be a mix between Z and Franzen.

As far as Nash goes, I'd really like to get him, but I think that it's jut not going to happen. The Blue jackets hate the Wings, and would overcharge them in order to get Nash. It would take a ridiculous offer from us in order to get Nash..and that is something I am not willing to do. I personally think that Smith is a superstar in the making, and Nyquist could easily be a 70+ pt player in a few years. I'd really hate to part with either of them, but would consider including Nyquist in a package for a legit goal scorer like Ryan. Outside of a Webber, Malkin, Giroux type player I would not include both Nyquist and Smith in a trade...They are simply too valuable.

As far as the rest of your proposals, I think Yandle an bouwmeester are the two most realistic options. They are both top paring guys and would immediately upgrade our defense. I don't think either of those guys would require trading Nyquist or Smith, but potentially a Filpula and Emmerton/ Tatar.

I really hope the wings can sign Semin. He has the skill to be a top 10 offensive player but has always had motivation issues. Put him on a line with Datsyuk and I think he could mee his potential. I almost think he is more offensively talented than Parise, but comes Nowhere close to to him in motivation, defensive back checking, or leadership.. If they miss out on him I will be very disappointed.

According to a lot of the MLive forum posters, fire Holland.

I've liked Nash since he came into the league. It's too bad he's been stuck on the BJs for so long. They've never had a team to put around him. I'd give up Fil and Nyquist plus some more prospects in a heartbeat to get him. No Smith, no Franzen though.

like everyone else i would love to see Nash in a wings uni. I think the blue jackets will be willing to deal him to the wings. Im sure they wouldn't like it but you have to remember Nash will be a free agent at the end of this season and there is not a chance in hell he will resign with them. They might as well get something for him rather than nothing its not like they will be a cup contender this year. They will drop their asking price once it gets closer to the season right now they are just seeing if they can get a team desperate enough to make a bad deal.

The next option for me would be Doan. He obv has interest in the wings and would be another player that would be harder to play against. he doesnt score as much as he used to but he is a great fore checker and could find himself open a bit more if he was paired with Datsyuk.

im not really worried about the forward situation even without Parise there is enough quality forwards that the wings can get to fill some holes.

The defense now that is another situation all together.

The wings needed Suter. None of the other players mentioned even come close to filling the holes the wings D core now has. unless something crazy comes upi think we will see the wings struggle on D this year. Hopefully we can sign a few of the options Zoom mentioned to be a stop gap until some better options open or some prospects develop.

Apparently late last night Holland got into talks for Bobby Ryan. Ryan is a very good player and is both younger and cheaper than Nash. Should cost much less than Nash, but still cost plenty. Dream scenario that is realistic? Get Ryan for Valteri, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen and possibly a pick. Then make a trade for Bouwmeester or Yandle, would like either. Then sign Semin....!

wouldst mind adding Bobby Ryan. He would not cost as much as nash, i dont think he is as good tho. I think Nash has sorta given up in Columbus. I dont like that attitude but it also has to be frustrating to be that good and play for a franchise that is run that poorly. I think Nash could become a beast on the wings bc he wouldnt be the guy in Det. He could also assume a smaller leadership role bc of dats and Z.

wouldst mind adding Bobby Ryan. He would not cost as much as nash, i dont think he is as good tho. I think Nash has sorta given up in Columbus. I dont like that attitude but it also has to be frustrating to be that good and play for a franchise that is run that poorly. I think Nash could become a beast on the wings bc he wouldnt be the guy in Det. He could also assume a smaller leadership role bc of dats and Z.

The thing about Nash is he has a very high cap hit and really hasn't produced at an elite level before. He is getting paid $400k less than Crosby but has only surpassed 80 pts once in his career. Part of that has to do with him playing for a crappy team, but at the same time if he is going to get paid like a big boy he has to play like a big boy. Don't get me wrong I think he is an excellent player, but I would rather have Ryan due to his age, skill set, and assumed demands.

I'll take Nash all day every day over Ryan. The guy puts the puck in the net. He is head and shoulders above Franzen. Put him with Dats, and we'd have 2 100+ pt guys. Hell, I hate to do it, but throwing Franzen in would be okay in my book. Franzen, Filpulla, and a couple prospects.

If both were Free Agents I would agree with you, but Nash will cost way to much in a trade..and Bobby Ryan really has very similar #s to Nash.

The past 4 years Nash has scored 135 Goals and has 271 pts. Ryan has Scored 131 Goals and 250 points. He is also 3 years younger than Nash

Also, Ryan has a cap hit of $5 Million for the next 3 years, whereas Nash is $7.5 million and will almost for sure get a raise next season when his contract is up.

I really like Ryan, I think he would be a great addition to the team, and I hope the Wings can get him, or Semin...ideally both.

Also, for as much as people get on Franzen for being inconsistent and floating at times, he really does have a very low salary ($3.9 mil). That is extremely rare for a player who gets 30 goals a season..hell Hudler just got more than him. That makes Mule a very attractive bargaining chip if The Wings do make a blockbuster trade. I personally would rather keep Franzen and trade Filpulla, but if it helps us land a top end Defensman or Forward then I won't be mad.

I'll take Nash all day every day over Ryan. The guy puts the puck in the net. He is head and shoulders above Franzen. Put him with Dats, and we'd have 2 100+ pt guys. Hell, I hate to do it, but throwing Franzen in would be okay in my book. Franzen, Filpulla, and a couple prospects.

You may not like them, but Franzen and Filppula are big time producers. If you trade both of them to get Nash the team really just moves sideways at that point. Plus you just gave up a cap hit for two players that was lower than the one you just acquired. Really, that move wouldn't make sense for the Wings.

If both were Free Agents I would agree with you, but Nash will cost way to much in a trade..and Bobby Ryan really has very similar #s to Nash.

The past 4 years Nash has scored 135 Goals and has 271 pts. Ryan has Scored 131 Goals and 250 points. He is also 3 years younger than Nash

Also, Ryan has a cap hit of $5 Million for the next 3 years, whereas Nash is $7.5 million and will almost for sure get a raise next season when his contract is up.

I really like Ryan, I think he would be a great addition to the team, and I hope the Wings can get him, or Semin...ideally both.

Bobby Ryan also plays on a line with Getzlaf who is one of the better setup guys in the league. Nash plays with.....nobody. Really the two are similar but there's no comparison as far as quality, Nash is better. Ryan is basically Nash lite which is fine if you're ok with that.

Bobby Ryan also plays on a line with Getzlaf who is one of the better setup guys in the league. Nash plays with.....nobody. Really the two are similar but there's no comparison as far as quality, Nash is better. Ryan is basically Nash lite which is fine if you're ok with that.

There is no doubt that Nash has played with one of the worst teams in the league the past 5 years, and has had to do a lot himself. However Bobby Ryan is a center, and so is Getzlaf which means that 90% of the time Getzlaf was centering the first line and Ryan the second line ( just like Dats and Z for the Wings). So it's not accurate to say that Ryan's point production is the result of playing with Getzlaf.

That being said, I definitively agree that Nash is a better player than Ryan. I said all things even I would take Nash every time, he is one of the top 5 pure goal scores in the league and has a Big body - something the Wings desperately need

However due to the circumstances this year ( trade demand, cap hit, fit w/ team) I would rather have Ryan on the Wings..just my opinion. As I said before, Ryan is a center, and a team really cannot ever have enough depth up the middle..look what happened to Chi last season.

You may not like them, but Franzen and Filppula are big time producers. If you trade both of them to get Nash the team really just moves sideways at that point. Plus you just gave up a cap hit for two players that was lower than the one you just acquired. Really, that move wouldn't make sense for the Wings.

I agree with this.

The focus should be on signing the remaining top Forward FA's ( Semin, Doan) and saving the best trade chips for a top end Defender. If there is enough left over then go for Ryan as well.

Unfortunately I have been reading that the Wings really are not very interested in Semin. Pitt reportedly offered him a 4 year $18.5 mil contract. I would def take a chance on him for 4 and $20..but apparently Holland thinks differently.

There is no doubt that Nash has played with one of the worst teams in the league the past 5 years, and has had to do a lot himself. However Bobby Ryan is a center, and so is Getzlaf which means that 90% of the time Getzlaf was centering the first line and Ryan the second line ( just like Dats and Z for the Wings). So it's not accurate to say that Ryan's point production is the result of playing with Getzlaf.

That being said, I definitively agree that Nash is a better player than Ryan. I said all things even I would take Nash every time, he is one of the top 5 pure goal scores in the league and has a Big body - something the Wings desperately need

However due to the circumstances this year ( trade demand, cap hit, fit w/ team) I would rather have Ryan on the Wings..just my opinion. As I said before, Ryan is a center, and a team really cannot ever have enough depth up the middle..look what happened to Chi last season.

Bobby Ryan is a natural winger, not a center. He has mostly played on a line with Getzlaf and Perry over the years. Last season they moved him around and he also played a lot with Koivu and Selanne. In both cases he was playing wing.

I like Franzen and Filppula just fine. I just like Nash better. As good as the Mule is, he is inconsistant. Filppula had a great year last year too, and is great defensively. Still though, when it comes down to the regular season and playoffs, we lost because we don't have a consistant goal scorer. If you look at the season, you'll see our goals scored per game went down almost a whole goal from the beginning of the year to the end.

Anything new on throwing the poison pill offer to Weber? I keep hearing this is a possibility, but if it is, why hasn't it happened yet?

Back