Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rivals - Scrimmage Rumblings

Those first couple paragraphs had to be tough to read. Love that they lead with it...

I wonder if we'll see any type of a stat line from that game. Good to hear the defense did something they didn't do seemingly at all last year and get some turnovers.

DR said:
Those first couple paragraphs had to be tough to read. Love that they lead with it...

Yes, they were. I feel as though I'm going to be stuck with Kovacs forever.

How awesome is this....

[quote="MAIZEandBLUE09":gmueofai]
Denard Robinson

[quote="DR":d9aapzoc]How awesome is this....

[quote="MAIZEandBLUE09":d9aapzoc]
Denard Robinson

Nathan Brink is listed on the football webpage roster at 6-5, 263. I know too many people look almost exclusively at measurables and it causes great football players to fall through the cracks or not get a fair shake. Ideally, you want guys north of 300 pounds playing in the middle of a 4-3. If you have one who can play who comes in at 290, you don't discount them. But I wonder how long Brink can "bring it" when he's that undersized. At best, I'm wrong and he shines all year. At worst, it gives Campbell another month to work, and it's less wear on him going into November.

And what's up with Quinton Washington? Anyone heard anything on him? And while I liked what I saw from Demens at times last year in the middle, and am pretty confident in him anchoring the LBs this year, I'm still uneasy about the two OLB spots.

bamf16 said:
Nathan Brink is listed on the football webpage roster at 6-5, 263. I know too many people look almost exclusively at measurables and it causes great football players to fall through the cracks or not get a fair shake. Ideally, you want guys north of 300 pounds playing in the middle of a 4-3. If you have one who can play who comes in at 290, you don't discount them. But I wonder how long Brink can "bring it" when he's that undersized. At best, I'm wrong and he shines all year. At worst, it gives Campbell another month to work, and it's less wear on him going into November.

And what's up with Quinton Washington? Anyone heard anything on him? And while I liked what I saw from Demens at times last year in the middle, and am pretty confident in him anchoring the LBs this year, I'm still uneasy about the two OLB spots.

There's been very little mention of Washington. I think the only thing I can remember seeing on him is that one of the Big Ten Network guys tweeted his name among some of the players that stood out to them while they were doing their taping for the Michigan preview.

For the other LB's I think Cam Gordon and JB Fitzgerald are going to get the two other spots next to Demens, but it's kinda like the RB position where I wouldn't really be shocked to see a bunch of different names end up being the starter there.

I also thought I read somewhere where Brink had his weight up from Spring and that is one of the things they told him to do. I could be wrong - but I'm guessing that someone at 260 wouldn't be competing for the starting DT spot against two 300lb dudes.

The football roster was updated a couple weeks ago. Cam is listed on it at 222, so it's definitely not last year's. I'm thinking the same thing you are, that a guy at 263 is going to have quite an uphill battle in the interior of the defensive line.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
DR said:
How awesome is this....

I definitely prefer a more traditional brand of football, but I'm ecstatic that they're not just relying on rollouts and broken plays to take advantage of Denards speed.

Translation - I'm glad they're not pulling a RR and forcing players to play in a system that ignores their natural talents.

Exactly, but once again you're the one bringing up those old comparisons/arguments. We can have discourse without going down that road.

bamf16 said:

Agree on all points, Bam, especially worry over the OLB's.

I see the Brink thing as more of a motivational ploy than anything else. Not discounting the possibility that he could contribute, but yeah, the size thing is scary.

From a random mgoblog poster...

Since there's not much recruiting updates I did catch a little bit of Michigan's scrimmage saturday a couple of info.

- Fitz and Shaw looked great, Shaw was running with a ton of rage, while Fitz probably had the best day out of all the runningbacks, hopefully they can stay healthy because they were forces.

- Rawls did not play, has a bum shoulder, but nothing serious, should be back this week.

- Desmond Morgan was playing WLB with the 1s, maybe a sleeper to start?

- Carvin had a big knee brace and was playing with the 2s. T-Gordon was with the ones next to Kovacs.

- Brink was starting at SDE, RVB has moved inside now.

- When Taylor Lewan pulls he is a very scary man, him and Shaw put poor Courtney Avery off his feet one play.

- J.T. Floyd lit up Koger on a tight end screen.

- Hawthorne made an interception yesterday off Gardner, while Carvin picked off Denard, but other than that the QBs looked solid.

- Did not see much of McColgan at Fullback, rather Steve Watson I believe is playing a little H-Back.

- Gallon looked like the most impressive wide out.

- Roy had a couple drops, hopefully that won't translate to the field again.

- Wile was making field goals effortlessly, looked like a veteran out there.

- The D was HITTING, man the helmets were cracking out there.

Yes it does. Still a little undersized with Martin and RVB in the middle, but they have a fighting chance.

I cannot wait... I just found out I am going to the Michigan Notre Dame game.. I am very excited..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I cannot wait... I just found out I am going to the Michigan Notre Dame game.. I am very excited..

Great to hear! Where we sitting?

SO... maybe as a sign of "message board maturity" we - everyone of us - could finally accept the reasoning that since recruiting rankings are so notoriously subjective, knocking a kid for his lack of star power coming out of high school needs to stop?

It's even more ridiculous when he's now proven himself on the field and has earned the approval of not one, but two (2) separate coaching staffs.

If even RR, who struck me as the sort of guy that would favor someone he recruited over someone he did not, would play Kovacs as often as he did... is there really any reason to continue to doubt his ability>

Back