Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tim Lincecum

manchild98

Finishes the first half of the year with a 6.42 era and a 3-10 record.

Ouch. I didn't realize he was doing that bad until the other day. Pretty surprising considering his track record, but not totally unexpected given his crazy mechanics and dropping velocity in the last couple seasons.

Ouch. I didn't realize he was doing that bad until the other day. Pretty surprising considering his track record, but not totally unexpected given his crazy mechanics and dropping velocity in the last couple seasons.

His mechanics are not so crazy, and they have much in common with pitchers named Koufax, Seaver, Ryan and Maddux. Or did. Perhaps the solution is in breaking down how Lincecum has diverged from those mechanics.

In the off season on the ESPN general board there was a long thread with guys arguing if JV or Lincecum were the better pitcher. I found it funny and kind if like the way his season has started!

I saw out of all the SP's that qualify, Lincecum has the worst ERA. He's the new Barry Zito.

Is one of the reasons along with Doug Fister why my fantasy team sucks.

I never understood how Lincecum was able to pitch like he did on such a small frame anyways. (5'11 - 170 lbs.)

The physics are just catching up to him I guess.

If I were him I'd start concentrating on Slider/Curveball rather than straight up fastball as my out pitch.

I never understood how Lincecum was able to pitch like he did on such a small frame anyways. (5'11 - 170 lbs.)

If I were him I'd start concentrating on Slider/Curveball rather than straight up fastball as my out pitch.

I remember a discussion a couple years a go that that an injury is more likely to happen because of his small frame.

Thank goodness JV has height and tree trunks for legs.

Those pitches are being hammered even harder from what I've seen. You're right though, I believe I saw awhile back that his vekocity has dropped considerably over the past few seasons.

He's not injured. He was able to throw +95 because his mechanics were flawless. And delicate. Everything had to happen in sequence and in perfect form. Something is amiss now and that's why he's lost 5 to 7 MPH on his fastball and why he can't spot it anymore.

EDIT: Research indicates that Lincecum is varying his release points per the pitch he throws in ways he never did before. He was hard to hit because his pitches all looks the same and came from the identical arm slot. They are not anymore. That's a huge advantage to hitters who can read what the pitch is before it's delivered.

Last edited:
He's not injured. He was able to throw +95 because his mechanics were flawless. And delicate. Everything had to happen in sequence and in perfect form. Something is amiss now and that's why he's lost 5 to 7 MPH on his fastball and why he can't spot it anymore.

I didn't mean to imply he was injured just that many thought his smaller frame could be a problem.

Cliff Lee is another ace having issues he is 1-5 with an ERA of almost 4. I know some of his issues are that Philly cant score runs but still you expect your ace to better than that.

I didn't mean to imply he was injured just that many thought his smaller frame could be a problem.

That has nothing to do with his present ineffectiveness. He's had this small frame for his entire career and he should be entering the prime of it.

That has nothing to do with his present ineffectiveness. He's had this small frame for his entire career and he should be entering the prime of it.

How are you so sure? You don't think having a small frame throwing high 90's will have an effect someday?

He might not be hurt that we know of but something is go on. Pitching effectively for years is about the legs. You need big strong legs.

Now I'm just spit balling here, an educated guess. But I suspect he's not getting the drive with his legs when throwing the fastball.

How are you so sure? You don't think having a small frame throwing high 90's will have an effect someday?

He might not be hurt that we know of but something is go on. Pitching effectively for years is about the legs. You need big strong legs.

Now I'm just spit balling here, an educated guess. But I suspect he's not getting the drive with his legs when throwing the fastball.

If that's the case, it's obviously not "because" of his small frame, because he had no trouble hitting +95 earlier in his career. I found some information on his changing release point that I think is closer to the answer.

http://www.quora.com/MLB/What-is-wrong-with-Tim-Lincecum

And what I disagree with those who claim that his delivery and mechanics are "unorthodox." I think they were actually flawless. Or were, anyway.

EDIT: And (gee!) ... look what I found on the Internet to support my claim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDlwhITEp8&feature=related Essentially, Lincecum is (was) a living whip holding a baseball.

Last edited:
Back