Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Summer game # 4

That should be the Knight we see every time. He doesn't need to force the offense, he needs to make smart passes. The floor opens up considerably when teams have to account for a pass.

Yup I agree.. Cut down on turnovers and seek to dish the ball. He had 6 TO's today...but at least thew beat the damn Celtics..

Does everyone play in the summer league or just certain guys (young)? I guess I just don't understand the point in summer leagues when you're getting beat up by teams you'll be playing when the season starts?

I don't know if there are eligibility constraints for actually playing, but teams do hold out a lot of players. Summer league is both exhibition (for D-Leaguers and second rounder - whom do not have guaranteed contracts) and practice (still raw young players, giving a chance of young guys to play together in a game atmosphere).

Usually most rookies play, but everyone older is up to the team. Knight was worth giving more practice, especially as a distributor to our other rooks (summer league often causes a lot of iso scoring from players trying to make a team). Someone like Kyrie Irving won't play because it's not worth the injury risk. It depends on whether the team has anyone they need to test in different roles.

I don't know if there are eligibility constraints for actually playing, but teams do hold out a lot of players. Summer league is both exhibition (for D-Leaguers and second rounder - whom do not have guaranteed contracts) and practice (still raw young players, giving a chance of young guys to play together in a game atmosphere).

Usually most rookies play, but everyone older is up to the team. Knight was worth giving more practice, especially as a distributor to our other rooks (summer league often causes a lot of iso scoring from players trying to make a team). Someone like Kyrie Irving won't play because it's not worth the injury risk. It depends on whether the team has anyone they need to test in different roles.

Okay thanks, good explanation.

I think if you have less than 3 years of NBA experience your eligible. For Instance Austin Daye has been in the league for 3 years and isnt eligible to be in the Summer League. I think Monroe and Jonas could of been if the Pistons wanted them to be.

I think if you have less than 3 years of NBA experience your eligible. For Instance Austin Daye has been in the league for 3 years and isnt eligible to be in the Summer League. I think Monroe and Jonas could of been if the Pistons wanted them to be.

Probably keep Monroe out because of possible injury, eh?

I don't think there is actually an eligibility limit on the summer league rosters. Daye will be in his 4th year and he is playing. Adam Morrison is playing for the Nets, and he's been around over 6 years. Many of the D-Leaguers are getting tryouts many years out of college.

Monroe and Jonas definitely could have played, but shouldn't. Monroe is already our best player, he has nothing to gain (he would demolish everyone) and everything to lose (injury) from playing. Also, I imagine he and the team had already expected him to be part of the US Select Team. Jonas I'm not sure about. Is he playing for the Swedish national team? I can't find any confirmation, but I would guess he is.

I Know Monroe was trying out for the Olympic team and the select team they practice with which is why he wasnt on the original roster. I was a little shocked as he was that he didnt even make the select team.

I heard a few bad things about Knight today in that he held onto the ball waaaaaayyyyyy too long and forced up bad shots. But obviously he is still young, and Summer League is the place to be working on your game. I still really like him and think that he will be a very solid PG for us.

Standings after four games

Boston Celtics 3 1 0.750
Detroit Pistons 3 1 0.750
Utah Jazz 3 1 0.750
Indiana Pacers 2 2 0.500
OKC 2 2 0.500
Orlando Magic 2 2 0.500
76ers 1 3 0.250
Brooklyn Nets 0 4 0.000

Last edited:

Austin Daye is playing on the team

Back