Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drew Brees Deal

That's a whole lot of money. It doesn't change much, but obviously is going to burn us pretty bad when Stafford gets to his 2nd and 3rd contracts.

That's a whole lot of money. It doesn't change much, but obviously is going to burn us pretty bad when Stafford gets to his 2nd and 3rd contracts.

He'll get paid but he doesn't seem the person who says your 19.2m won't be enough and if I don't get a new deal I'm not coming to camp.

He'll get paid but he doesn't seem the person who says your 19.2m won't be enough and if I don't get a new deal I'm not coming to camp.

Probably true, especially since it's not like Stafford isn't getting paid a ton already. More just commenting on how much elite QBs cost and how difficult it is going to be to keep all our contracts in check.

Probably true, especially since it's not like Stafford isn't getting paid a ton already. More just commenting on how much elite QBs cost and how difficult it is going to be to keep all our contracts in check.

I get ya but football is all about managing the cap with restructured contracts. Not many guys like Staff, CJ, Suh etc get released or traded because of money. And I believe you can always get cheap talent.

Last edited:
Am I understanding this correctly, Brees Salary is $40 million in 2012?? How does that work? Is that what his Cap hit is, or is that somehow tied into a signing bonus?

Id imagine that the saints dont have $40 million in cap space available to spend on him..

Neither did Drew Brees but he did it.

Right, especially when it's you LAST deal...you wanna be paid if you're worth it and you want a comparable salary to the QB's in your class...it's fair enough. Not reporting (especially for a qb) has proven to be a decent sign of leverage for players. Teams want deals done because hold outs under perform a lot of times and sometimes end up injured.

Am I understanding this correctly, Brees Salary is $40 million in 2012?? How does that work? Is that what his Cap hit is, or is that somehow tied into a signing bonus?

Id imagine that the saints dont have $40 million in cap space available to spend on him..

The cap hit is small. He has a $37 million signing bonus (so that cap hit is spread out over the five years) and a $3 million salary. So his cap hit this year is 37/5 + 3, so $10.4 million. However, he's gonna get that $37 million signing bonus immediately, so he's getting paid $40 million this year.

Brees was being stubborn because he felt like he had been underpaid for years, so he wanted extra as compensation. Stafford is being paid big $$$ already, he won't feel that way. He'll get paid, for sure, but I doubt it will be for $20 mil per year.

The cap hit is small. He has a $37 million signing bonus (so that cap hit is spread out over the five years) and a $3 million salary. So his cap hit this year is 37/5 + 3, so $10.4 million. However, he's gonna get that $37 million signing bonus immediately, so he's getting paid $40 million this year.

Ok I figured it must be something like that. A $10.4 mil cap hit actually seems pretty low for a top 3 QB.

Neither did Drew Brees but he did it.

I think you misunderstood. I meant that they first offered 19.2 and he wanted 20.5 and said if I don't get it and I'm still tagged I won't go to camp. I don't believe Staff would do that.

Brees was being stubborn because he felt like he had been underpaid for years, so he wanted extra as compensation. Stafford is being paid big $$$ already, he won't feel that way. He'll get paid, for sure, but I doubt it will be for $20 mil per year.

Tough to say that though..seems most players look at the guys being pair around them and if they feel they're on that same level or higher, they want to be paid like it.

QB A gets 15, QB B gets 16, QB C get 20, QB D gets 21 etc...

Brees was never underpaid. He got hurt, big time, in SD and NO gave him 60m. That's a ton of cash for someone who people thought had a career ender.

Aaron Brooks puts up 5k in NO.

Brees was about the only positive thing going for NO right now and he got paid for that as well.

I actually don't think Staff will hold the Lions hostage either. His first NFL deal ever guaranteed him 42 million. He conssistently says and backs the city. He'll get paid a boatload and should but he also knows making every penny possible is not the most important thing. He's already proven he'll make some sacrifices and restructure to keep the roster filled with talent.

Last edited:
Back