Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Summer Head Shave Season

tinselwolverine

Well, we're coming into the middle month of summer, give or take a day, or so, so I went to the $10 barber there down the road and I got the old Double 0 clipper do. Pretty much clean, but I did soap up and shave afterward just for good measure.

So I'll roll this look into middle/late August, just like I did last year.

Feels nice and cool on the back of my head.

Well, we're coming into the middle month of summer, give or take a day, or so, so I went to the $10 barber there down the road and I got the old Double 0 clipper do. Pretty much clean, but I did soap up and shave afterward just for good measure.

So I'll roll this look into middle/late August, just like I did last year.

Feels nice and cool on the back of my head.

when do you stop shaving and start working on the "winter mullet"?

Very good question; again, I'll stop shaving right around the end of the middle month of the summer, hence "I'll roll this look into middle/late August."

Don't do a mullet though. After I stop shaving, not a hair on my head gets clipped until St. Paddy's/first day of spring.

Actually, that may not be 100% true; if the hair on the sides of my head start to get unruly, I may clip them down a little bit myself.

Never clip the top though, until Saint Padraig's.

Last edited:
I do something similar with my face, tinsel. First day of fall I grow a goatee, first day of winter the beard begins, first day of spring back to goatee, and then first day of summer clean shaven. I don't typically trim the beard much either...

I do something similar with my face, tinsel. First day of fall I grow a goatee, first day of winter the beard begins, first day of spring back to goatee, and then first day of summer clean shaven. I don't typically trim the beard much either...

Yes, I remember this from your post on the Solstice Pagan Ritual thread...

I too, do something similar. During the summer, I shave twice a week - fully, then in the middle of the week, I shave down to a really trim (obviously) goatee...

In spring and autumn, I shave twice a week also, but I always leave the goatee (I do shave clean for specific events from time to time; I was clean shaven for my wedding, for example).

Then in the winter I do the full beard thing.

By the time St. Partrick's Day rolls around, I look like an old hippy.

Yes, I remember this from your post on the Solstice Pagan Ritual thread...

I too, do something similar. During the summer, I shave twice a week - fully, then in the middle of the week, I shave down to a really trim (obviously) goatee...

In spring and autumn, I shave twice a week also, but I always leave the goatee (I do shave clean for specific events from time to time; I was clean shaven for my wedding, for example).

Then in the winter I do the full beard thing.

By the time St. Partrick's Day rolls around, I look like an old hippy.

Ah yes...I forgot about that thread.

You didn't teach KAWDUP history at Brother Rice and get canned for smoking weed with the students did you?

Ah yes...I forgot about that thread.

You didn't teach KAWDUP history at Brother Rice and get canned for smoking weed with the students did you?

Ha!

I'm not a spring chicken, but KAWDUP is senior to me, so no, I wouldn't have been able to be his teacher.

Of course I've smoked weed, like just about everybody else, but I often didn't like it - too trippy and unrelaxing for me - so I haven't smoked weed in years.

From my other posts, it's probably apparent that a cocktail is my drug of choice.

I never taught at Brother Rice; I only was a teacher one year, in the Los Angeles Unifed School District, and the reason I got canned, according to my union rep, was that "the principal's modus opperendi is to hire teachers specifically with the intent to fire them in a vain attempt to demonstrate she's doing SOMETHING to correct the failures of the school she's running."

Didn't work so much, she ended up being fired herself the next year (early retirement, it was called). I found this out when I ran into one of my former colleagues (that's what teachers call each other) from the school.

The justification my non-renomination (that's what it's called) was "poor classroom management skills" but as MichChamp pointed out in the Condi Rice thread, just about every teacher has poor classroom management skills in the first few years of teaching - sure, there are a few naturals, but they're quite the exception.

I never looked back anyway; turned out I hated the classroom and was glad to go; I didn't even bother to file a grievance through the union; I just went back to making money in the real world (I took a little time off before that though, because I had made a few bucks in properties right at the time; had bought at a good time, and sold at a good time, lucky me I guess ;), so for a short period of time, all I did was spend the whole day at the dog park with my dog, and then I would come and watch the Detroit Tigers.).

So anyway, again, the short answer is no.

You never know. Is your name Moynahan? If I was at home, I would get out the old yearbook and scan a pic of him.

But yeah he looked a bit old when I was there - so it couldn't be him. :*)

Tinsel's temperment remninds me of him sometimes. :*)

You never know. Is your name Moynahan? If I was at home, I would get out the old yearbook and scan a pic of him.

was trying to ballpark the dates when the Bro Rice incident went down. The lady my mom worked with was probably about 10 or so years older than her, so her kids were probably about a decade older than me. I think. Which would've put it in the mid 80s.

When I was younger people would say I looked kind of like Oliver Reed; then later Bruce Willis, and lately, Hugh Laurie.

Who does Moynahan look like?

My name is Smith.

For real.

Pretty ballsy, a guy named Smith, posting his real name on a message, board, eh?

LOL - The closest comparison I could come up with is Howard Stern.

How about a pic of the egg head?

was trying to ballpark the dates when the Bro Rice incident went down. The lady my mom worked with was probably about 10 or so years older than her, so her kids were probably about a decade older than me. I think. Which would've put it in the mid 80s.

I could be off by a couple of years for when the scandal actually went down. I know one of my football-playing brothers was there. So mid 80's might actually be closer.

They say the mind is the first thing to go. I disagree . . . but . . . oh damn I forgot what I was going to say.

I don't know how to upload a pic of my own on here. Back on the ESPN board I post a pic of myself once with the lid all but shaved, trying to make a really mean face as a joke - did you ever see that one?

Not much has changed since then.

ahh . . . darn. Didn't get to see it. I think it would be cool to see a bald Hugh Laurie.

There you go! Thanks - If you look like that, the women must be flocking around ya :*)

Last edited:
There you go! Thanks - If you look like that, the women must be flocking around ya :*)

Last Sunday, I had 100 women flocking around me.

98 of them were lesbians, and the other two were my last wife, and my current wife.

Back