Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Dog Days

tinselwolverine

My understanding is that this term actually doesn't have anything to do with the temperature, but is, in fact, an old maritime term.

Lore has it that ancient mariners out on the high seas referred to the period of the year that ran from the end of July into the middle/late part of August as the "Dog Days" because NHL and NBA and of course all the college sports had ended for the year, and football (and the following year's college sports) was of course still yet to come, and there were really no other sports to listen to on satellite radio or watch on cable or satellite television and to post about on internet message boards except for baseball.

Is that how everybody else understands it, or do I just have it wrong?

So does Indian Summer mean the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves? Or the Washington Redskins, or the Chicago Blackhawks?

So does Indian Summer mean the Cleveland Indians and Atlanta Braves? Or the Washington Redskins, or the Chicago Blackhawks?

That's why it's called "Indian Summer," because Cleveland and the ATL could hypothetically meet in the World Series (which they did in '95 as I recall) and and the Redskins and the Blackhawks could at the same time play each other in a charity basketball game (would cut into the the Redskins season practice schedule but so what, they suck anyway).

Back