Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I Love London

tinselwolverine

I've noticed a fair amount of London bashing, and England bashing, and Euro bashing on the eve of the London Olympics and I kinda wonder why.

I love London; I've travelled there a number of times and I've been all over the city, and all over England, and into Scotland and Wales, and also Northern Ireland, and I've travelled a quite a bit through the Republic of Ireland, too.

Britain and Ireland (yes, I know Ireland is not part of these Olympics and of course I am aware of the history of significant strife between the two countries; that said, you can get into Ireland real easily from Great Britain - ya just drive on in) are great places, and they're green and lush and the beer is great. Some say the food sucks but if you stick to traditional stuff like fish and chips and lamb shank and all that I think the food is good; plus there's real good Indian food pretty much anywhere you go, and Chinese and Thai food too.

Why the hate folks? What gives?

Last edited:
how do you drive from Great Britain to Ireland? there's like a whole sea between them. unless you only mean from Northern Ireland to Ireland, which is kinda stupid if that's what you mean.

I don't bash Europe, unless I'm around the Russkies. then I tell them America is #1, and if they don't like it, I'm going to go all Hulk Hogan on them.

how do you drive from Great Britain to Ireland? there's like a whole sea between them. unless you only mean from Northern Ireland to Ireland, which is kinda stupid if that's what you mean.

I don't bash Europe, unless I'm around the Russkies. then I tell them America is #1, and if they don't like it, I'm going to go all Hulk Hogan on them.

Well, I've done it both ways; I've driven across the Irish Sea Floor in an underwater craft designed by Q of MI6; and I've also driven from County Armagh into County Monaghan - across the border of Northern Ireland (which is part of Great Britain) right straight into Ireland - in a car that I rented from Hertz.

A person can enter Great Britain by flying into Belfast, then driving on into Ireland; but I got over to Northern Ireland via driving from London to Stranrare, Scotland, then taking a ferry over to Belfast.

The above ground - above sea trip is much more scenic than the bottom of the sea excursion - pretty much black down there; plus if your cabin doesn't stay pressurized you'll end up being crushed.

Of course I meant driving from Northern Ireland into Ireland.

What is stupid is thinking that it could have been meant be anything else.

Fuck Russia and go US, though - I'm with you on that!

Last edited:
N. Ireland seemed clear to me. But MC looking at it like a trick question reminded me of Angle Inlet, MN. Wikipedia describes it as the only part of the contiguous US north of the 49th parallel, but I don't think it should count as contiguous. Like Alaska, it only borders Canada and water.

N. Ireland seemed clear to me. But MC looking at it like a trick question reminded me of Angle Inlet, MN. Wikipedia describes it as the only part of the contiguous US north of the 49th parallel, but I don't think it should count as contiguous. Like Alaska, it only borders Canada and water.

Maybe I've been overestimating MichChamp.

Sophisticated travelers understand that when one talks of driving from England to Ireland, or from England to anywhere on the continent, there's a ferry boat involved (I think the Chunnel no longer provides passage across the English Channel to passenger vehicles).

I think in the Pacific Northwest, and also over in New England, and your own area in the Southern United States, Red, there car tours across bodies of water that will obviously require a ferry boat, as is the case with the Island Provinces of Southeastern Canada.

That aside, it's no different than any other road trip.

Last edited:

Red, this is the logical equivalent of what MichChamp replied, as applied to the United and Canada:

"how do you drive from The United States to Canada? there's like a whole land mass between the overwhelming majority of most places in each country, and the other country. unless you only mean from two points directly across the border from each other, which is kinda stupid if that's what you mean."

See, the thing is...you can't drive into Ireland from Great Britain, unless you drive in from Northern Ireland...because...

That's the only place where the counties border. They don't border each other anywhere else.

Like, you can't drive into Canada from Texas. You can drive TO Canada from Texas...but not INTO Canada from Texas.

Last edited:

Point Roberts, Washington.

Interesting. I was unaware of Point Roberts. It's south of, but touching the 49th.

Its cut off from the lower 48 by water and touches only Canada by land. I thought you like that obscure bit of trivia Red.

Maybe I've been overestimating MichChamp.

Sophisticated travelers understand that when one talks of driving from England to Ireland, or from England to anywhere on the continent, there's a ferry boat involved (I think the Chunnel no longer provides passage across the English Channel to passenger vehicles).

I think in the Pacific Northwest, and also over in New England, and your own area in the Southern United States, Red, there car tours across bodies of water that will obviously require a ferry boat, as is the case with the Island Provinces of Southeastern Canada.

That aside, it's no different than any other road trip.

Yup. There's not a lot, but there is a ferry you can take to drive across parts of the Outer Banks.

But another analogy might be a claim to driving straight from Michigan to Wisconsin. I could be talking about the UP, or the Muskegon-to-Milwaukee ferry.

Yup. There's not a lot, but there is a ferry you can take to drive across parts of the Outer Banks.

But another analogy might be a claim to driving straight from Michigan to Wisconsin. I could be talking about the UP, or the Muskegon-to-Milwaukee ferry.

there are actually 2 ferries: one from Milwaukee to Muskegon, and another one further north, from Manitowoc to Ludington. I once checked into the rates for them... no idea how they stay in business. it's no faster than just driving around the damn lake anyways.

Back