Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Has Any of You Guys Ever Driven from Detroit to Windsor ONT, or Vercy-Vicey?

lots of times between the ages of 19 and 20. didn't go back much after that, except once (but that was for a ski trip in n. ontario).

But - how could you do that? They're separated by the Detroit River; that's fuckin' water!!

Unless you mean driving over the bridge or through the tunnel, which is kinda stupid if that's what you mean.

But - how could you do that? They're separated by the Detroit River; that's fuckin' water!!

Unless you mean driving over the bridge or through the tunnel, which is kinda stupid if that's what you mean.

AH, i've been trolled.

it's not the same thing though: everyone knows the Detroit River is crossed by a bridge and a tunnel.

the North Sea is 50 miles across between England and Ireland. even the supposedly all-powerful god some of the people who post around here worship could not build a bridge or a tunnel that far.

Gosh, I was cracking myself up when I posted this!!

The distance between Stranraer and Belfast is closer to just under 40 miles and I don't know if that's even the shortest point to point between the two islands; that said, I don't know that it would take an almighty ceator or a supernatural being to build an underwater tunnel that distance; there have been underwater rail tunnels under the Tsugaru Strait and the English Channel that are about 25 miles for some time now.

It's just that the relative ease that ferry passage offers, the problems that would be associated with a passenger vehicle tunnel of those lengths or longer make such an undertaking pretty unfeasible.

Stranraer is in Scotland though. I thought you said drive from England to Ireland.

If you said "Great Britain to Ireland" the scottish part would count (it's part of GB).

i just checked. I see you said it was easy to drive from Britain to Ireland, so that would include scotland, so yeah, you're right, it's only like 40 miles, which wouldn't be that much more than the current longest tunnel in the world, which is something like 33 miles or so (it's in Japan, I also looked that up earlier.)

Yeah, I looked that up earlier, too, and I read that the underwater part is about 25 miles.

But I've known for years that the portion of the Chunnel that goes underneath the English Channel is about that long, too.

AH, i've been trolled.

it's not the same thing though: everyone knows the Detroit River is crossed by a bridge and a tunnel.

the North Sea is 50 miles across between England and Ireland. even the supposedly all-powerful god some of the people who post around here worship could not build a bridge or a tunnel that far.

I bet Haliburton could if they could get taxpayers on the hook to pay for it.

Well, here, and it looks like I was wrong all along anyways.

I've always thought that Great Britain and the United Kingdom were one and the same; as I dig a bit deeper, seems that the official name of the independent nation of the United Kingdom is "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

So....you can drive right into Ireland from the United Kingdom (the host country of the Olympics of 2012; specifically "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland") BUT -

you cannot drive in directly from Great Britain, because -- they're separated by the Irish Sea, or the North Sea, some freakin' sea - that's a BIG ass body of water, 40 to 50 miles or so across.

And as of now there is no tunnel.

So - you can take a ferry and accompany your car, then claim your car when you are about to disembark the ferry

BUT

You cannot drive in directly from Great Britain, as I had claimed, because Great Britain and the UK are not one and the same, as I had thought.

So my apologies to anybody who may have been offended by comments, and no animals were injured in the creation or posting of any posts I have posted to the pertinent threads.

Last edited:
Back