Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Greatest Outfield Ever

tycobb420 said:
http://www.examiner.com/baseball-history-in-detroit/the-greatest-outfield-history

at least for one season.

That Tigers outfield is ranked iirc by Bill James as the best, and after Crawford left, Cobb and Veach played along side another great hitter Harry Heilmann. That outfield is also ranked as a top 5 all-time.
Bobby Veach is one of those stars from an old forgotten era that doesn't get the credit he deserved. Considered a 'poor mans' Al Simmons, Veach was also a great fielding left fielder.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
tycobb420 said:
http://www.examiner.com/baseball-history-in-detroit/the-greatest-outfield-history

at least for one season.

That Tigers outfield is ranked iirc by Bill James as the best, and after Crawford left, Cobb and Veach played along side another great hitter Harry Heilmann. That outfield is also ranked as a top 5 all-time.
Bobby Veach is one of those stars from an old forgotten era that doesn't get the credit he deserved. Considered a 'poor mans' Al Simmons, Veach was also a great fielding left fielder.

Would you take Veach or Willie Horton as your LF?

I'd take Will Horton but I'm a fan of his. He's the one player who once he left I was upset about and still rooted for.

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

I have tossed that back and forth, for about 20 years.
my first favorite leftfielder was Charlie Maxwell, then I loved Willie's power and that he was Detroit born and raised. Reading as much about the Tigers history, Goose Goslin had a shorter career, and then I came across Bobby Veach. and now with all the new stats and numbers, he was a hell of a leftfielder defensively and hitter.
I lean towards Willie Horton, Bobby Veach is my alternate.
When you have a team with the rich history of players like the Tigers, there are going to be players at a postion that seem so close and make it difficult to pick one over the other.
If posters looked at the top, say 50 all-time Tigers players there would be many players picked at each position. I would also say that Cobb would be the only position player in centerfield that got 99% of the vote.

What about you Ty?

Great article TY.. Thanks.. I grew up with Willie Horton.. I could never pick against Willie.. But this outfield of 1915 was something special.

The two best teams in baseball in 1915 were the Red Sox and the Tigers. Boston Finished 101-50 and Tigers finished second with a 100-54 record. Boston Crushed the Phillies in the world series 4 to 1... Philadelphia was only 90-62 that year... Alas boston was better then Detroit that year as they were 14-8 verses Detroit... The Tigers had five teams in their history that won 100 games or more. the 1968 and 1984 team won the World Series.. The 1934 team lost the Series... The 1915 and 1961 team's did not make the playoffs and finished 2nd in the AL... I wonder if there are anymore teams in baseball that have two hundred win non-playoff teams..

Cobb never got close again to the World series after 1915

I think think the Tigers let Crawford go to soon. He played in the PCL for four more years after he left Detroit and had 781 freaking more hits in Las Angles...

I always though Veach's Numbers were close to Hall of Fame worthy but then i am a Homer but a lifetime of .310/.370 /.442 /.812 plus he played great defense...

tycobb420 said:

at least for one season.

For one season?

There were quite a few times in 1967 where the outfield consisted of Kaline RF - Northrup CF - Horton LF.

That would be my best-ever pick.... based on my following the Tigers since 1961.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
tycobb420 said:

my first favorite leftfielder was Charlie Maxwell, then I loved Willie's power and that he was Detroit born and raised. Reading as much about the Tigers history, Goose Goslin had a shorter career, and then I came across Bobby Veach. and now with all the new stats and numbers, he was a hell of a leftfielder defensively and hitter.
When you have a team with the rich history of players like the Tigers, there are going to be players at a postion that seem so close and make it difficult to pick one over the other.
If posters looked at the top, say 50 all-time Tigers players there would be many players picked at each position. I would also say that Cobb would be the only position player in centerfield that got 99% of the vote.

What about you Ty?

I lean toward Horton b/c I know he was a prime-time player and came through in big situations. Veach might have, but never had the shot.

MotownWebGuy said:
tycobb420 said:

at least for one season.

For one season?

There were quite a few times in 1967 where the outfield consisted of Kaline RF - Northrup CF - Horton LF.

That would be my best-ever pick.... based on my following the Tigers since 1961.

For one season. I saw Bill James even singled them out as such.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
tycobb420 said:

What about you Ty?

PS: Didn't Heinie Manush play LF?

Back