Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Valverde and Benoit out 2nite

tycobb420

Just reported on 97.1.

I heard Raburn and Inge will play tonight. Not confirmed yet though.

Exactly what I was saying in the game thread last night. You needed to keep Valverde out of that game after Benoit threw AND you had a 4 run lead. Normally I think Leyland does a pretty good job with the pen, certainly not last night though

Kind of a dicey situation. If another RP came in and the first guy reached base, Valverde would have been in anyway because becomes a save situation. He might have pitched better but still would be out tonight. No need to worry.

His seven days were up the other day but now they're saying it will be around 2 weeks total time out

mikem2780 said:
His seven days were up the other day but now they're saying it will be around 2 weeks total time out

ah...well no worries. We traded for Pauley.

You know, Raburn hits lefties well so if you're going to play him at all, now is the time. We were told Inge will be in vs. lefties too so I'm not surprised. Is Maggs in? Really wish we could give Avila a blow.

As for Benoit and Valverde? Last nights game was just as big as any other so I'm glad we secured the win even though Jose made us sweat. Leyland has been pushing all the right buttons the last few games so I'll give him a pass on Valverde pitching last night.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Kind of a dicey situation. If another RP came in and the first guy reached base, Valverde would have been in anyway because becomes a save situation. He might have pitched better but still would be out tonight. No need to worry.

Or you could not bring him in and let the pitcher finish the inning.

mjsb2 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Kind of a dicey situation. If another RP came in and the first guy reached base, Valverde would have been in anyway because becomes a save situation. He might have pitched better but still would be out tonight. No need to worry.

So if Perry come in, first guy and another gets on, let him finish rather than the closer? It was a 4 run lead not 8. Its over we won, no harm. So he can't pitch for a day, big deal. You sound like if there is a save situation tonight we're screwed.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
mjsb2 said:

So if Perry come in, first guy and another gets on, let him finish rather than the closer? It was a 4 run lead not 8. Its over we won, no harm. So he can't pitch for a day, big deal. You sound like if there is a save situation tonight we're screwed.

Sure those aren't the voices in your head, because I don't see where he said anything about tonight.

And how can you say no harm when we haven't seen how tonight's game plays out?

Yeah good old smokey had already made up his mind after the damn game last night. he said on his post game show that neither would pitch today.. I still don

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Sure those aren't the voices in your head, because I don't see where he said anything about tonight.

No closer on any team gets 100% of the saves. Sometimes you need to count on others. Its simple. I go one game at a time and if its close tonight we'll be fine. Not like Valverde has been mowing them down.

What can you do, Valverde and Benoit, and maybe Coke.

Al Al might not be back until first week of September. I would be surprised and pleased to see him pitch this last week of August.

Hope Martinez can DH tonight. He is 7 for 14 with 3 homeruns off price.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
DR said:

No closer on any team gets 100% of the saves. Sometimes you need to count on others. Its simple. I go one game at a time and if its close tonight we'll be fine. Not like Valverde has been mowing them down.

Funny, you didn't seem to keen on counting on others a few hours ago. And you thought it was a "dicey" situation that called for Valverde...I guess you weren't too concerned with him not mowing them down.

Maybe this is the other voice in your head speaking?

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Funny, you didn't seem to keen on counting on others a few hours ago. And you thought it was a "dicey" situation that called for Valverde...I guess you weren't too concerned with him not mowing them down.

Dicey as in most likely he would have pitched anyway so he starts the inning rather than coming in with men on base. That's what I meant. I thought that was obvious.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
DR said:

Dicey as in most likely he would have pitched anyway so he starts the inning rather than coming in with men on base. That's what I meant. I thought that was obvious.

It was obvious. My point is that you're now saying Valverde hasn't been pitching that well, and it won't be a big deal if he doesn't pitch tonight in a close game. Yet last night they couldn't risk putting in somebody else in a 4 run game.

Back