Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Latest Scam: "mud runs"???

Michchamp

to the list of scams perpetrated on humanity by its less scrupulous members, add poorly organized, unsafe, (likely) under-insured "mud runs," or similar 5K events... I see this becoming a trend as more and more inexperienced runners decide it would be more "fun" than just running a damn road race, and scam artists see money in it. link.

I would never do one of these things. Cut yourself/tear a ligament on some shoddy obstacle, and good luck suing the sleazy race organizers to cover your medical bills.

to the list of scams perpetrated on humanity by its less scrupulous members, add poorly organized, unsafe, (likely) under-insured "mud runs," or similar 5K events... I see this becoming a trend as more and more inexperienced runners decide it would be more "fun" than just running a damn road race, and scam artists see money in it. link.

I would never do one of these things. Cut yourself/tear a ligament on some shoddy obstacle, and good luck suing the sleazy race organizers to cover your medical bills.

I'd do it...then hire you as my lawyer. Sick 'em champ!

I've done one. I'm going to do another one. I get the risk, but it was fun.

Lionel Hutz: This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story.

Favorite Lionel Hutz line.

I'm sure you have to sign an acknowledgement of risk and a waiver of responsibility toward the organizer to participate in these events.

I had to sign one to join my gym, and all that happens there is big giant 20 year old heavyweights try to punch me in the head and knock me out.

yeah, but a waiver may not be effective if doesn't appraise you of all the risks, or there is gross negligence, something like that.

If I sign a waiver saying I understand I could get hurt in the run, and then I end up getting severely hurt when it turns out that the organizers negligently built obstacles, and they collapsed, or something like that, I could still sue them and win.

OK.

Well, I wasn't planning to organize any mud runs anyway, and now I would be even less inclined to do so, were the notion ever to occur to me.

OK.

Well, I wasn't planning to organize any mud runs anyway, and now I would be even less inclined to do so, were the notion ever to occur to me.

well, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from doing anything... just make sure you have a good attorney draft the waiver, and don't be negligent like the guy in the story I posted!

The waiver I signed seemed very thorough; it talked about negligence and accidental or deliberate acts of other participants. It made the run sound life threatening and you waived the right to sue, even if it was entirely their fault. That was my impression anyway. I showed it to my wife and said something about thinking they could get away with shooting me in the head if I signed it.

The waiver I signed seemed very thorough; it talked about negligence and accidental or deliberate acts of other participants. It made the run sound life threatening and you waived the right to sue, even if it was entirely their fault. That was my impression anyway. I showed it to my wife and said something about thinking they could get away with shooting me in the head if I signed it.

try revising the waiver and signing it and see if they say anything.

there is a doctrine in contract law that basically excuses people from being bound by some or all of the terms of the contract if it's called an "adhesion contract"... i.e. presented on a take-it-or-leave-it basis by one party and the other party has no opportunity to negotiate the terms.

that could apply here, especially for any ridiculous terms in the agreement, like absolving them of any negligent acts on their part.

of course, companies & pro-business republicans HATE this doctrine, because it prevents companies from crapping all over their customers when they try to bind them to certain terms.

Don't go on a mud run with Dick Cheney.

try revising the waiver and signing it and see if they say anything.

there is a doctrine in contract law that basically excuses people from being bound by some or all of the terms of the contract if it's called an "adhesion contract"... i.e. presented on a take-it-or-leave-it basis by one party and the other party has no opportunity to negotiate the terms.

that could apply here, especially for any ridiculous terms in the agreement, like absolving them of any negligent acts on their part.

of course, companies & pro-business republicans HATE this doctrine, because it prevents companies from crapping all over their customers when they try to bind them to certain terms.

I wonder how that would play out. I'm sure the people at the table where the waivers get signed don't have the authority to change anything and are aware of contract law doctrine. If you change something, do you have to point it out to them? I bet they wouldn't even notice.

What if a person INTENTIONALLY injured themselves, just to test the legal validity of the liability waiver?

What then?

What if a person INTENTIONALLY injured themselves, just to test the legal validity of the liability waiver?

What then?

The way I remember the contract, they would have run into assisted suicide laws before they ran into something that waiver didn't cover.

The way I remember the contract, they would have run into assisted suicide laws before they ran into something that waiver didn't cover.

OK, well, also don't go on a mud run with Dr. Jack Kevorkian then.

Which would be pretty hard to do these days anyway.

Back