Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Quake!

redandguilty

We're shakin' in North Carolina. Heard people felt it clear up to New York.

Red and Guilty said:

craziness. they said on CNN that it was felt in atl and NY and philly. I guess detroit as well.

MichChamp02 said:
I didn't know there was a fault anywhere near there. w

wiki confirms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Plate

from what I've seen on discovery channel and the science channel, you don't necessarily have to have fault lines for an earthquake to occur. It's rare, but it does happen.

If I remember right, I think NY and Michigan have both had Earthquakes in the past.

a few felt it here in upper floors of our building

i have felt them here in michigan too but i also know what it is having spent 25 years in calif.

michlady77 said:
a few felt it here in upper floors of our building

i have felt them here in michigan too but i also know what it is having spent 25 years in calif.

yeah i've lived in Sacramento for 10 years now and have yet to feel anything, but people tell me that we aren't safe from Earthquakes.

there was one in colorado, too?

I was in an earthquake once in Simi

fun stuff!!

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
MichChamp02 said:
I didn't know there was a fault anywhere near there. w

wiki confirms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Plate

from what I've seen on discovery channel and the science channel, you don't necessarily have to have fault lines for an earthquake to occur. It's rare, but it does happen.

If I remember right, I think NY and Michigan have both had Earthquakes in the past.

In the Midwest they say it is from the glaciers that have pushed the crust down and the after effects from the melt off are the lighter weight on the crust which pushes it back up. They also say that the biggest earthquakes could still happen in this region from that.

yeah, there was a bad earthquake in Missouri in the 1800s. I thought that was more related to the crustal uplift after glaciation than faults.

there are other "hot spots" in the middle of the NA plate, but theyre out west along the rockies.

Red and Guilty said:

When did it hit? Your post was at 2:17, so sometime before that.

I was in the doc's office from 2:00 to 3:20. Didn't feel anything.

I'm in Southfield and people here say they felt it. I was out to lunch. Literally, not figuratively.

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
Red and Guilty said:

1:51pm. I didn't realize it was an earthquake. Went outside to figure out what was shaking my house...ran into a neighbor and talked for a bit.

Felt it here in west virginia for the first time ever. Was having sex with the gf, thought I just brought my A game.. lol

Red and Guilty said:
GoBlueInAtlanta said:

1:51pm. I didn't realize it was an earthquake. Went outside to figure out what was shaking my house...ran into a neighbor and talked for a bit.

I was driving at that time. Haven't heard anyone else say they felt it. No one in the Dr.'s office said anything.

mhughes0021 said:
5.9...thats like a weekly occurance in socal. suck it up!

Yeah, here in OC this week people are kind of scoffing at the East Coast media's reaction and the quakes in CO yesterday we did not feel in Denver (that I noticed yesterday).

Also heard from a friend in Boston who said she felt it there too ...

Just heard that a 5.9 quake is felt so widely in this instance because the plates are more intact in this part of the country whereas a 5.9 is felt more locally out west because the plates are more "fractured".

erg57 said:
Just heard that a 5.9 quake is felt so widely in this instance because the plates are more intact in this part of the country whereas a 5.9 is felt more locally out west because the plates are more "fractured".

Yep, I heard the same explanation today from a few SoCal Quake veterans.

I honestly never noticed...my brother in DC felt it though. I think people here (NC) are more concerned with Hurricane Irene. I went to the store today and they were extremely busy with people stocking up on supplies.

Back