Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rays Game Thread August 23

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Ordonez RF
Young LF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Avila C
Peralta SS
Raburn 2B
Inge 3B
Penny P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=310823130&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-tampa-bay-rays
Tigers vs. rays Game Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/4115/brad-penny
Penny vs. rays. small sample of players 4 for 31.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/28958/david-price
Tigers hitters vs. price.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_23_detmlb_tbamlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310823130&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-tampa-bay-rays
Boxscore from espn

Remember when Jim Leyland said last weekend that one reason for calling up Inge now rather than Sept. 1 was that they have a lot of left-handed starters ahead? Well, this is one of those days. And David Price is probably the best of the lefties they

Not a bad line up vs. a LH pitcher. The nice thing is you have some good PH possibities in Jhonny, AV, Wilson and Boesch. (Of course, Boesch has been terrible lately!)

Dunno, if penny is a contact pitcher why not play RS one more day maybe for his defense?...also he is one of the better hitters against DP

Price's last two games;
August 12 : yankees 1 run 6 hits 2 walks 4 k's 18 GB outs 114 pitches
August 17 : redsox 0 runs 3 hits 3 walks 6 k's 10 GB outs 116 pitches
both games on the road.

before that in august, losses to bluejays and a's at home/tampa.

Winning changes a lot of things. 2 weeks ago if Smoky Joe comes out with this lineup and he would be getting lambasted on this site, but he's made some good calls and filled out some good cards lately so he's getting leeway now.

Good, it's a bunch of righties who live off left handed pitching and Price hasn't been that dominant this year. I don't mind this lineup and have a good feeling about this game.

If Raburn absolutely has to play, I'd much rather see him in RF with Penny pitching.

Santiago should be 2b, let Victor have another day off and Maggs can DH.

I would rather Victor get that knee better, then just keep going on day to day.

MI_Thumb said:
If Raburn absolutely has to play, I'd much rather see him in RF with Penny pitching.

He sat yesterday because of back spasms, had nothing to do with his knees.

Wasn't it back spasms that kept V Mart out last night? I too want to see his knee get better enough to start catching a game or 2.

mjsb2 said:
MI_Thumb said:

Yes, I know.

I'm talking about his knee, which is keeping him from catching, and giving Avila a break from getting the shit beat out of him behind the plate.

johnny2x2x said:
Wasn't it back spasms that kept V Mart out last night? I too want to see his knee get better enough to start catching a game or 2.

This man understands. ^^

Raburn should never see the infield.. Santiago single-handedly helped save sunday

MI_Thumb said:
mjsb2 said:

Yes, I know.

I'm talking about his knee, which is keeping him from catching, and giving Avila a break from getting the shit beat out of him behind the plate.

Exactly, avila needs a day off and we know smokes won't start cringe at catcher.

Got my fingers crossed that Penny will pitch well and the bats will show up. Go Tigers.

The lights went out at tropicana field, looks like about 7:30 start.
pay the electric bill....
Check that: It's the emergency lights that are on right now. Game lights are currently off.
Lights slowly coming back on at the Trop after everything went dark.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]The lights went out at tropicana field, looks like about 7:30 start.

Hey sometimes its tough to come up with the money for the electric bill, ha

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]The lights went out at tropicana field, looks like about 7:30 start.
Check that: It's the emergency lights that are on right now. Game lights are currently off.
Lights slowly coming back on at the Trop after everything went dark.

Nice

As I posted in the other thread about todays game:

mjsb2 said:
Tampa Bay ranks 11th in the league in OPS against groundball pitchers with a team OPS of .660.

They also rank 11th in the league in OPS against Finese pitchers with a team OPS of .735.

I wouldn't be surprised if Penny can pull a quality start out of his ass.

Against pitchers with a similar GB/FB ratio as David Price, the Tigers have a team OPS of .761, tied for 4th in the league.

Price gives up more FB to RHH and when doing so he is hittable, so loading the lineup with RHH is the right decision.

Back