Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

fox sports ohio takes swipe at ncaa lack of effort

It helps when the head of the NCAA Mark Emmert is friends of Gordon Gee. I don't care how long ago it was every little bit helps in O$U's case... I cannot believe they are going to skate. But it appears they are.

I am sure I will take some heat for this but....

Things are not as cut and dry as Hooley makes them out to be.

In the case of the Dohrman article... "Ellis" seemed to be the only evidence that existed. If the NCAA was going to preserve his anonymity AND take action against Ohio State they were going to need something to corroborate his story. Something that could be made public. Otherwise, Ohio State would have appealed and likely either won the right to "face their accuser" or overturned any related sanctions. In fact, the the case of the Dohrman article a number of the accused players had their parents show that they had all of their various awards which they had supposedly traded/sold (Ohio State did not allow the players themselves to speak publicly to the media).

In the case of the car sales... The NCAA had to have something to investigate. The original article pointed out that it was suspicious that 50ish athletes/family members bought cars from the same salesman. It is true that this is suspicious but it is also not a violation of anything. The article stated that nearly half of the cars were sold below KBB values (Which means that more than half were sold at or above their value) but only gives one example of a car sold for an unreasonably low price. It later came out that the article was wrong about the $0 sale price. What wold be interesting to know is what the standard deviation from the KBB value was. I should point out that I thought for sure something would come from that article. If I were the NCAA for a day, I probably would have audited the top 5 cars sold below their value and called it a day.

I wont even try to defend Pryor and Sarniak.

Back