Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alex Avila

bdemil1

I might be overreacting because we're finally on a win streak but I think Avila is our MVP. Getting key hits, catching everyday and solidifying the pitching staff he has had more of an influence on this team than Verlander and Cabrera. Don't get me wrong, w/out Verlander we're in 3rd place but Avila is my vote.

bdemil1 said:
I might be overreacting because we're finally on a win streak but I think Avila is our MVP. Getting key hits, catching everyday and solidifying the pitching staff he has had more of an influence on this team than Verlander and Cabrera. Don't get me wrong, w/out Verlander we're in 3rd place but Avila is my vote.

This isn't because I'm a Tigers fan, but I can see all three making the top ten in the final Al MVP vote.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
bdemil1 said:

This isn't because I'm a Tigers fan, but I can see all three making the top ten in the final Al MVP vote.

You might be right Kaline. If we keep playing well, Verlander and Avila are definitely top ten. Cabrera, I'd like to see some more consistent power from him but I'm not going to bitch now!!
grin.png

bdemil1 said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

You might be right Kaline. If we keep playing well, Verlander and Avila are definitely top ten. Cabrera, I'd like to see some more consistent power from him but I'm not going to bitch now!!
grin.png

I have thought that about Cabrera for some time, he is looking more like he isn't getting to 30 homeruns, and making it close on 100 rbi.
Some will say he is batting over .300 and taking more walks than even last year, but the slugging average keeps dropping. Maybe I expected similar to last year, but every year he has had the extra base hits, just not as much in 2011.

Avila, is starting to look like the best overall catcher in the game right now

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Avila, is starting to look like the best overall catcher in the game right now

in the AL at least

Even in the MLB. McCann isnt very good defensively. While Avila is. And hitting their pretty much a wash. You could even say he is hitting better than McCann.

Offensively:

Avila - .304 avg 15 hrs 62 rbis .398 OBP .918 OPS 47 runs 43 XBH 58 BB
McCann - .296 avg 20 hrs 58 rbis .369 OBP .876 OPS 45 runs 36 XBH 42 BB

Edge - Avila if by slimmest of margins.

Defensively

Avila - 4 Errors .995 FPCT 69 SB .337 CS%
McCann - 4 Erros .995 FPCT 81 SB .214 CS%

Edge - Avila thanks to his much better ability to throw base stealers out.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]that seems about right. Did pedro win it?

I don't think so. He was second once and probably should have but didn't.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Monster ":1w6ulkt0]that seems about right. Did pedro win it?

I don't think so. He was second once and probably should have but didn't. [/quote:1w6ulkt0]

wow. looking at his career stats.

1997 with the expos...13 complete games, 4 shutouts, 241 IP, 305 strikeouts, with a 1.90 ERA.

The '99 season was his 2nd place finish. Nice numbers. No way he was getting enough votes in Montreal. Not sure the city even knew they existed.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Mitch":iqsdn579]

I don't think so. He was second once and probably should have but didn't.

wow. looking at his career stats.

1997 with the expos...13 complete games, 4 shutouts, 241 IP, 305 strikeouts, with a 1.90 ERA.

[/quote:iqsdn579]

Was just looking at his 1997 season. He finished 16th in the MVP which is just rediculous.

Wow that '97 season by Pedro was unbelievable, I guess I wont be doing too much bitching if Verlander doesnt win MVP this year considering Pedro didnt even crack the Top 10 in the voting that year lol.

Back