Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

50 games for Melky

beez

Little too much testosterone for MLB's liking....

And all around San Fransisco people will insist he's clean.

Even after he admitted to taking it.

Here is my solution to the PED problem in baseball.

1st positive - One year ban.....no pay....team option to cut you instantly with a 25% remaining policy. If cut, a no more than 10% raise on your new contract. No year of service accrued toward FA.

2nd offense - 3 year ban....no pay....team option to cut you instantly with NO pay....banned from HOF ballot for life. Same FA rules as 1st offense.

3rd offense - Lifetime ban......3 strikes and you're out.

It may not be a perfect solution, but would certainly make you think twice about jamming a needle in your ass.

How I think it would help???

A lot of these guys can go a year without pay and not hurt that much, but a year without pay AND a 25% buyout from their current contract would make them think twice. No intentional doping to get released early and get a bigger contract, so I would put a cap on any potential raise someone might be looking to get.

A second offense would really only affect the all star caliber player. They could lose whatever contract they have, and for the superstar.....no HOF would be big....IMHO.

I'm just tired of these slap on the wrist punishments these guys get. If you want to take PED's out of the game make the concequences so large these guys don't think about it. Otherwise, what is the risk??

You could never get your solution past the Players Union, anything involving the revoking of contract and or contract monies would be met instantly with a threat of strike.

You could never get your solution past the Players Union, anything involving the revoking of contract and or contract monies would be met instantly with a threat of strike.

I realize that.

Just saying what I would do.

Yeah, well than I add to shoot them in the head. Since we're going hypothetical.

Here is my solution to the PED problem in baseball.

1st positive - One year ban.....no pay....team option to cut you instantly with a 25% remaining policy. If cut, a no more than 10% raise on your new contract. No year of service accrued toward FA.

2nd offense - 3 year ban....no pay....team option to cut you instantly with NO pay....banned from HOF ballot for life. Same FA rules as 1st offense.

3rd offense - Lifetime ban......3 strikes and you're out.

It may not be a perfect solution, but would certainly make you think twice about jamming a needle in your ass.

How I think it would help???

A lot of these guys can go a year without pay and not hurt that much, but a year without pay AND a 25% buyout from their current contract would make them think twice. No intentional doping to get released early and get a bigger contract, so I would put a cap on any potential raise someone might be looking to get.

A second offense would really only affect the all star caliber player. They could lose whatever contract they have, and for the superstar.....no HOF would be big....IMHO.

I'm just tired of these slap on the wrist punishments these guys get. If you want to take PED's out of the game make the concequences so large these guys don't think about it. Otherwise, what is the risk??
The problem with all that is that MLB has zero credibility on steroids after allowing the likes of McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, etc. to revive the game with their ridiculous homerun displays. The league loved it, the fans loved it, and now they are coming back around to punish the players they allowed to do it because it benefited MLB? Same thing with Braun being suspended, but allowed to stay as NL MVP. It makes no sense and is 100% hypocritical.

What should be done is Selig should come out and fess up to what is and was going on, he should step aside, and a new commissioner should work with the MLBPA to create a zero tolerance policy going forward. Until Selig is gone, this crap is going to continue to be a joke. The guys who revived the game while juicing should get into the HOF if they deserve it based on numbers, and the MLB should just say it was part of the game during their era. No need for the after the fact holier than thou act by MLB and Selig. He sold his soul long ago on this issue and he doesn't suddenly have credibility just because it's been a while since then.

And all around San Fransisco people will insist he's clean.

Even after he admitted to taking it.

That's not what I'm hearing from the numerous Giants' fans I know. They are pissed and betrayed. Can't put Bonds and Cabrera in the same public courtroom.

50 games ain't no slap on the wrist. Neither is 100 for the second offense.

That's not what I'm hearing from the numerous Giants' fans I know. They are pissed and betrayed. Can't put Bonds and Cabrera in the same public courtroom.

Oh I'm sure they're pissed and betrayed, this could very well end their playoff chances.

But as we know from ESPN and other sports forums, SF and Bay Area fans will always make excuses or live in a state of denial when it comes to this issue. Not all fans obviously, but several.

50 games ain't no slap on the wrist. Neither is 100 for the second offense.

REALLY???

So, it's ok to cheat the system, your fans, your team and your teammates......and we're gonna suspend you for less than 1/3 of the season.

WOW....that's really harsh. Let's just make him say sorry and move on.

Oh I'm sure they're pissed and betrayed, this could very well end their playoff chances.

But as we know from ESPN and other sports forums, SF and Bay Area fans will always make excuses or live in a state of denial when it comes to this issue. Not all fans obviously, but several.

And those same forums will express the court of public opinion influenced by the same pundits from ESPN, who selectively targeted certain players and gave others passes, or just didn't mention them in their reporting...and who very likely knew about steroids years before it was expedient to report about it. So the denial started with the media and with MLB, who obviously were aware of the situation well in advance of it becoming a "scandal."

REALLY???

So, it's ok to cheat the system, your fans, your team and your teammates......and we're gonna suspend you for less than 1/3 of the season.

WOW....that's really harsh. Let's just make him say sorry and move on.

Headline: Cabrera Gone for 50 Games.

Except that it's Miguel, and he's torn a ligament in his wrist. You would mourn that as much as if he were suspended for that time frame for using illegal stuff.

Yeah ... I think that 50 games is a just punishment.

Except that it's Miguel, and he's torn a ligament in his wrist. You would mourn that as much as if he were suspended for that time frame for using illegal stuff.

I think they should add a rule 50 games + no postseason play for that year. It would be a sham if he came back and SF got to the WS because he played.

Are you honestly comparing an injury to taking PED's???
Wow....that's fucking dumb.

50 games is nothing. It's worth it for most players to take that risk. If you are a fringe player or a player that is starting to decline why not risk it? If I don't get caught how many millions more could I end up earning? 50 games is a joke and so is 100. First offense has to be AT LEAST a one year ban without pay. And your contract is completely invalidated.

And I know the union would never go for any of it but it should include post season bans for say 3 years...that way no team would want to touch you. If you want to change the behavior you have to make it so it's not worth the risk. If a first offense got you a one year ban w/ no pay and a 3 year post season ban then your basically putting your career on the line. 2nd offense is a lifetime ban. The penalty has to be harsh to excessive if you are serious about cleaning this up.

Like I said, it will never happen but it should.

Last edited:
50 games is nothing. It's worth it for most players to take that risk. If you are a fringe player or a player that is starting to decline why not risk it? If I don't get caught how many millions more could I end up earning? 50 games is a joke and so is 100. First offense has to be AT LEAST a one year ban without pay. And your contract is completely invalidated.

And I know the union would never go for any it but it should include post season bans for say 3 years...that way no team would want to touch you. If you want to change the behavior you have to make it so it's not worth the risk. If a first offense got you a one year ban w/ no pay and a 3 year post season ban then your basically putting your career on the line. 2nd offense is a lifetime ban. The penalty has to be harsh to excessive if you are serious about cleaning this up.

Like I said, it will never happen but it should.

"And the truth.......shall set you free".

+100,000,000

Back