Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who is the bigger concern?

interiminequities

Indians or White Sox? Is it safe to talk about this yet? I hope it is because I am.

I really wanted this game tonight. After seeing that we were still hanging in it with Penny on the mound and Schlerry getting out of a jam, the W seemed attainable. This win meant that we couldn't lose a series away from home to a legitimately good team, and that we'd be up 5+ games on everyone in the AL Central. It also meant that I could calm down a bit because I was not expecting anything better than two games from the Rays.

We got that tonight with a weakened lineup, so I feel at leisure to take a step back and look at the landscape. The Twins are too far gone to be any reasonable threat, and thank fuck for that. But I'm hard pressed to find a discernible reason why the Indians or Sox would be a bigger threat than the other, if either a threat at all.

I can't help but lean toward Chicago as the team I'm more worried about if only because I'm finding it more and more difficult to worry about the Indians. They were inches from losing two at home to one of the worst teams in baseball today. It seems like the Ubaldo trade is creeping toward disaster. They've lost 2 big players to injury. It just seems like the wheels are coming off. I feel like if we do swoon, the Chi Sox are the more likely team to still be hanging around near .500.

I don't expect to be caught. Today was a major relief for me. I'm just wondering what other people thought of the situation.

another one win run. reminds me of (GASP) the giants from last year.

Who is the bigger concern? I'd say neither of them. We are the concern. I'm just worried that we're going to go through another 4 or 5 game losing streak or a 3-7 in the last 10 slump.

Indians blow. White Sox blow. They both have a ton of problems.

How can you be afraid of teams that struggle to get and stay over. 500.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How can you be afraid of teams that struggle to get and stay over. 500.

we have a very deep history in the last several years of blowing leads late in the year. also, up until last week, we were barely over .500 as well. Plus, we have plenty of games against the sux and native americans. Anything can happen at this point.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How can you be afraid of teams that struggle to get and stay over. 500.

Ive been saying it all year, the division has been ours to win all year, and its been in the bag for a while now. I think its so funny though that all the "Pro" analysts downplayed detroit the whole year and said cleveland and sometimes even chicago were going to win when, atleast from a detroit perspective, we had it all along.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Mitch":rgywdb6v]How can you be afraid of teams that struggle to get and stay over. 500.

we have a very deep history in the last several years of blowing leads late in the year. also, up until last week, we were barely over .500 as well. Plus, we have plenty of games against the sux and native americans. Anything can happen at this point.[/quote:rgywdb6v]

Twice and once we got to the world series. And both times it was Minny. I'm not scared of either team. If we don't make it, it'd be that we played very poorly not because of some great run by one of the others.

I am not concerned over any of them. Tigers are clearly the best team in the division.

I agree that at this point, barring a Tiger collapse, the division is ours. I am very glad it is not minny chasing us though.

Indians are getting blasted again this afternoon by Seattle. Stick a fork in them.

Good.

I didn't want to give the impression I was scared of either team, by the way. I'm not. There are only two teams I really worry about historically when it comes to the end of the season. One of them is 15 back and the other one is us. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything important by feeling really good about the team last night.

I really think that we keep this pace until then end, and if we do I think neither team is a factor...but we all know what happened in 09...we could clinch this division early if we play smart

We really aren't that far behind Texas, and yeah, I don't see us losing the division. I've said that before, but we are a pretty healthy team outside of Al Al, and JV is such a force on the mound. The teams below us just seem to have too many flaws to make a run, buuuuuuuut you never know.

Only team I'm concerned about is the other AL playoff teams.

The Tigers will win this division by at least 5 games.

They are only 3 games behind the Rangers right now, hopefully they can pass them up to get HF advantage.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="Mitch":j0qiy10g]How can you be afraid of teams that struggle to get and stay over. 500.

we have a very deep history in the last several years of blowing leads late in the year. also, up until last week, we were barely over .500 as well. Plus, we have plenty of games against the sux and native americans. Anything can happen at this point.[/quote:j0qiy10g]

Those teams didn't have this years JV and had black holes at SS and C.

This years team is significantly better than those teams, so the "recent history" is irrelevant.

I'm honestly not worried about either the Indians or the White Sox. I'm concerned about the Tigers blowing it. History is on our side for collapses. I personally don't think it will happen, but if it did, it's on the Tigers...nobody else.

The division is ours to lose....

We were pretty beat up those other years, and having somebody who seems like an automatic win is so incredible. I almost see JV willing us to a playoff berth this year.

Bonehead plays. Exactly what i was talking about in this thread hours ago. That's how a team goes on a slide. They need to pick themselves up and slide this one under the rug. After they stuff Inge into a fucking locker of course...

Back