Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Potential 2-deep

deathroh

Not my list...

QUARTERBACKS

Denard Robinson (Jr.)
Devin Gardner (So. or RS Fr.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RUNNING-BACKS

Running Back:

Mike Shaw (Sr.) or Fitzgerald Tousasaint (RS So.)
Vincent Smith (Jr.)
Thomas Rawls (Fr.)

Third Down Back
Vincent Smith (Jr.)
Mike Shaw (Sr.)
Fitzgerald Tousasaint (RS So.)

Fullback
John McColgan (RS Sr. walkon, 6-1, 240)

Steve Watson (RS Sr.)

WIDEOUTS

Junior Hemingway (RS Sr.) and Roy Roundtree (RS Jr.), who are out there together at times.
Behind Roy is Martavious Odoms (Sr.)

(slot)
Martavious Odoms (Sr.) or Jeremy Gallon (RS So.)
Kelvin Grady (RS Sr.)

TIGHT END

Kevin Koger (Sr.)

Michael Schofield (RS So.) ... in short yardage blocking situations?

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

L-Tackle:

Taylor Lewan (RS So.)
Michael Schofield (RS So.)

L-Guard:

Ricky Barnum (RS Jr.)
Mark Huyge (RS Sr.)

Center:

David Molk (RS Sr.)
Rocko Khoury (RS Jr.)

R-Guard:

Patrick Omameh (RS Jr.)

R-Tackle:

Mark Huyge (RS Sr.)

+++++++++++++++

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Tackle

Mike Martin (Sr.)
Ryan Van Bergen (RS Sr.)

Tackle
Ryan Van Bergen (RS Sr.)
Quintin Washington (RS So.) or Will Campbell (Jr.)

+++++++++++++++++++

DEFENSIVE END

Strongside DE:
Nathan Brink (walkon, RS So., 6-5, 267 pounds)
Ryan Van Bergen (RS Sr.)

Will Heininger (RS Sr. ... 6-5/ 295 ... walkon)

Rush End
Jibreel Black (So.) or Craig Roh (Jr.)

+++++++++++++++++++

LINEBACKERS

Weakside (WILL) LB:

Desmond Morgan (Fr.)
Mike Jones (RS So.) or Brandin Hawthorne (RS So.)

Middle (MIKE) LB:

Kenny Demens (RS Jr.)
J.B. Fitzgerald (Sr.)

Strongside (SAM) LB:

Cameron Gordon (RS So.)
Jake Ryan (RS Fr.) or Brennan Beyer (Fr.) or Frank Clark (Fr.)

CORNERBACKS

Corner

Courtney Avery (So.) or J.T. Floyd (RS Jr.) ... with Avery having perhaps a slight edge

Corner

Troy Woolfolk (RS Sr.)
Blake Countess (Fr.)

SAFETIES

Strong Safety
Jordan Kovacs (RS Jr.)
Josh Furman (RS Fr.)

Free Safety

S/Nickel Thomas Gordon (RS So.) or Carvin Johnson (So.) ... with Thomas having perhaps a slight edge currently

Nickel
S/Nickel Thomas Gordon (RS So.)

KICKERS

Place Kicker
Brendon Gibbons (RS So.) or Seth Broekhuizen (RS So.) or FR Matt Wile (6-1, 200)

Punters:
FR Matt Wile
Seth Broekhuizen (RS So.)

KO:
FR Matt Wile

RETURNERS
Looks like Odoms will be one ... Gallon is trying to re-solidify a spot here as well. Kelvin Grady is a good possibility at KR, or Thomas Rawls or Justice Hayes if they want to try to get them ready to play as frosh (KR is a typical place to start them off). Or at PR will they go with the vet Hemingway?

Looks about right - but I'm always a little suspicious when a coach says "if the season started today, walkon Nathon Brink would start". I have a sneaking suspicion that he's being used as an example to the other guys as to what it takes (attitude wise) to be a starter. I'm betting by the end of the year we're not even talking about Brink.

I do think he'll play...this staff wants to rotate linemen and there's just not that many options, but I also think/hope that saying he'd start is more of a ploy than anything else.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Looks about right - but I'm always a little suspicious when a coach says "if the season started today, walkon Nathon Brink would start". I have a sneaking suspicion that he's being used as an example to the other guys as to what it takes (attitude wise) to be a starter. I'm betting by the end of the year we're not even talking about Brink.

I sort of agree with you, but I don't think it's a big deal if it ends up being legit, and not just a ploy. I think this staff is going to make better choices regarding personnel than the prior staff did, so I don't really care who ends up out there. I don't have a preference for a guy just because he was a starred recruit instead of a walkon.

It is nice the two-deep on the DL consists of guys we all expect could start. Strangely enough after how bad our D was last year, that unit is probably one of the most solid in the country now that they have a 4 man front.

MichChamp02 said:
.....Strangely enough after how bad our D was last year, that unit is probably one of the most solid in the country now that they have a 4 man front.

ehhhh...there are still some pretty big question marks on half of the line (Campbell/Brink and Roh/Black)...we haven't seen any of them contribute consistently, and really only Roh's contributed at all.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:
.....Strangely enough after how bad our D was last year, that unit is probably one of the most solid in the country now that they have a 4 man front.

ehhhh...there are still some pretty big question marks on half of the line (Campbell/Brink and Roh/Black)...we haven't seen any of them contribute consistently, and really only Roh's contributed at all.

Yeah, most of the reports I've read seem to indicate that the LB's and secondary are in far better shape than the line - which is really thin and only solid on a 2 or 3 of the 4 positions.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:

well, I AM assuming that Campbell will at least reach some of his potential under the new staff, and some of the potential of a 5-star is enough to be decent. And if he's legitimately being pushed by Brink, then Brink can't be all that bad... so 1/2 of a line that's very good, and another half that's passable is solid in my book.

But of course... those may be some big assumptions.

I probably went too far claiming the unit would be one of the most solid in the country though.

Understood. Personally, I think it's more likely that Campbell reaches that potential next year. I think we'll see flashes this year, but not the consistency.

Yes, I'm being way optimistic here, but I am concerned he ends up like Gabe Watson... blows up a play now and then, but disappears down the stretch, and is virtually absent for the 4th Q.

Honestly, from where he's coming from, I think that would be slightly optimistic.

Back