Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Boston and LA trade

lonesometiger

WOW is all I can say at this time. Red sox trading Gonzalez, Beckett, Carwford and Punto to Dodgers. is being reported to being close. Bosox say it is salary relief, to the tune of around 250 M's Bosox are getting Webster,Loney,DeJesus Jr,DeLa Rosa and Sands at this time. Should this go through it's a changer in the NL west.

Why in the world would Boston do that? It's not like they would be getting quality prospects back..I'd have to imagine a team would be willing to part with a lot more to acquire Gonzalez - he is one of the top 10 hitters in the AL...

Very strange if true

Hard to say if the prospects pan out way too early. Maybe their organization wants to go with the rays philosophy, spend little.

What is the point in having a trade deadline? Its not like this is a waiver pick up is it?

What is the point in having a trade deadline? Its not like this is a waiver pick up is it?

They claimed Gonzo. Not sure about the rest but if they have options they don't need to clear first.

Why in the world would Boston do that? It's not like they would be getting quality prospects back..I'd have to imagine a team would be willing to part with a lot more to acquire Gonzalez - he is one of the top 10 hitters in the AL...

Very strange if true

Simple, $250mil in salary relief on players who have largely disappointed for various reasons. AGon is a fine hitter but he's lost his power, Beckett is a fat malcontent with a 5+ ERA, Crawford is a walking DL stint who is out for the year after TJ surgery, and Punto is a career .247 hitter that's hitting .200 this season. The recipe isn't working, they are pretty much out of the playoff race, why not clean house and regroup?

Not exactly. Players are waived and if claimed and the waiving team has the option of rescinding the offer and keeping the player.

Very strange if true

The main reason they would surely do this trade is it will allow them to shed both Crawford's ridiculous contract as well as Beckett's 2 years on his deal. The prospects they are getting back are not bad considering the payroll they are shedding. There is 2 of the pitching prospects who are highly touted.

And as far as how they got the deal done is simple. Gonzalez was claimed on waivers by L.A, Beckett was also claimed by L.A and Crawford and Punto cleared waivers without a claim so they were free to be traded to any team. Any team with a record worse then L.A could have put in a claim but honestly teams were scared to put in a claim simply because there was a chance that Boston would of just allowed them to take on the full contract sorta like how the White Sox got both Peavy and Rios a few years back because of their horrible contracts.

What is interesting though is L.A is now on the books after their moves this deadline and waiver wire for 193.75 million next season and after arbitration that could balloon up to over 200 million which is if I remember correctly the Yankee's are the only team in history to have a payroll over 200m.

What is weird though is they are about to break the mold with having 3+ players making 20m per year and after Kershaw gets an extension they could possibly have 4 players making 20m+ (Kemp, Gonzalez, Crawford and Kershaw). Must be nice to have a brand new ownership and as well a nice ass TV contract in a large market.

And oh yeah lets not forget they also will be paying 15+ million a year to Beckett, Hanley and Ethier lmao.

Last edited:
Simple, $250mil in salary relief on players who have largely disappointed for various reasons. AGon is a fine hitter but he's lost his power, Beckett is a fat malcontent with a 5+ ERA, Crawford is a walking DL stint who is out for the year after TJ surgery, and Punto is a career .247 hitter that's hitting .200 this season. The recipe isn't working, they are pretty much out of the playoff race, why not clean house and regroup?
they should have thrown in Rondo as well. imo

2013:

Hanley - 15.5m
Ethier - 13.5m
Kemp - 20m
Kershaw - 11m
Gonzalez - 21m
Crawford - 20m
Beckett - 15.75m

That is 116.75 million invested in 7 players for 2013.

2014:

Hanley - 16m
Ethier - 15.5m
Kemp - 21m
Kershaw - Probably 20m a year after extension.
Gonzalez - 21m
Crawford - 20.25m
Beckett - 15.75m

And 129.5 million invested in 7 players for 2014.

Those 7 players alone equal a higher payroll then 25 teams.

Last edited:
Beckett and Crawford have been reported to have waived there no trade rights. So this looks like it is going to happen with Fox sport saying the deal,pretty much done.

Really should this happen it will put Boston in the FA show next off season for anyone they would like to go after. Would they go after Hamilton?

Beckett and Crawford have been reported to have waived there no trade rights. So this looks like it is going to happen with Fox sport saying the deal,pretty much done.

Really should this happen it will put Boston in the FA show next off season for anyone they would like to go after. Would they go after Hamilton?

Hamilton was the first person I thought of when I heard Boston was dumping all of this money.

http://ht.ly/1m8orV
Dodgers Get Gonzo In Nine-Player Deal With Red Sox.
baseball america

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...rawford-los-angeles-dodgers-blockbuster-trade
Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett to L.A.
from espn

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/e...onzalez-josh-beckett-carl-crawford-to-dodgers
Blockbuster sends Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford to Dodgers.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/...llapse-no-fluke-red-sox-make-moves-to-improve
After proving 2011 collapse no fluke, Red Sox make moves to improve.
from cbssports

Last edited:
Honestly I can't belive LA gave up 2 of their top prospects in the deal...this was ALL about Boston shedding bad contracts. I thought them being willing to take a 1/4 of a billion dollars in salary while at the same time getting a pitcher who can't get anybody out and acts like a spoiled brat along with an extremely disappointing big contracted outfielder who's GOING INTO Tommy John surgery would be more than enough to get the deal done. I understand Gonzales is in the deal but LA is taking all of the risk here. Good trade for Boston..LA might be kicking themselves in some years but this definitely gives them and their fans hope for a title..they ifnally have a big hitting 1b and maybe Beckett turns it around in the NL

Back