Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU College Football Weekly Rankings

JScottWriter

Week 1

AP: 13
USA: 13
ESPN Power Rankings: 12
ESPN B1G Power Rankings: 1

Good start for the Spartans, can't wait for the season to start. I am excited to see if the defense lives up to the hype and how the Maxwell and the WRs do.

This should change after week 1. Read into that what you will. :)

Yep, could go up, down, or stay the same. I think rankings have always seemed to do that. I will pick up since they are playing Boise at home.

I would guess we will jump to 11 now, as Wisky and WV play no one of consequence (top 10 if any of the higher ranks fall to lesser teams).

Media is going to be down on our offense, but coaches are going to be impressed by our defense.

I would guess we will jump to 11 now, as Wisky and WV play no one of consequence (top 10 if any of the higher ranks fall to lesser teams).

Media is going to be down on our offense, but coaches are going to be impressed by our defense.

Based upon last night's play, they will not be voted higher. Barely beating a rebuilding MW team will not get you in better favor. Then again, no one else has played yet so....

The only team ranked higher that could lose besides Bama or Mich, is WVU. I figure they will move up 1 spot at best.

We beat a ranked team, Bell looks like a Heisman candidate, and the defense was top notch. I realize the offense had issues, serious issues, but no one but UM/Bama will have played anyone as good as Boise. People seem so quick to jump on that rebuilding label, not giving any credit to how good Boise still is.

I think the positives and opponent will mean something to voters. I mean, what will anyone really learn from Wisky or WV beating up on some patsy?

That was probably the worst Boise team since 98... There is no way Boise should have been ranked. Christ they lost 10 of 11 starters on defense. They play in a shit conference and their only offensive weapon was a true frosh. Don't kid yourself, you barely beat a shit team.

Plusses: Bell and the defense.
Minuses: Penalties and turnovers.
Question marks: Maxwell and his patience in the pocket.

Sparty won, learned some things and will adjust. Doubtful that Dantonio is happy overall with the result, though.

Sparty won, learned some things and will adjust. Doubtful that Dantonio is happy overall with the result, though.

I can agree with that.

And if M doesn't figure out a way to out-rush MSU, it will be five straight losses.

I think MSU will struggle vs most respectable teams if Maxwell can't back teams off.

You forgot about the stone mason receivers...

So it turns out we are now ranked 11th, just as a certain someone predicted. Boise is still a good team with a very good defense, and voters gave us extra points for it.

UM fell all the way to 19th. That's a rather precipitous fall for any one game, but more in line with where they should have been ranked (I thought 15th) to start the season.

Big 10 no longer has any teams in the top 10, but has 5 in the top 20. Next big game for the Big 10 is MSU-ND in two weeks. Nebraska-UCLA might be decent next week, but UCLA really isn't that good. UM-ND tops off out of conference schedule with two likely ranked opponents. So, we probably won't see any Big 10 ranking changes until week 3 or 4.

Also note, Boise State remained ranked in USA Today Poll (25th), but fell to 26th in the AP poll. I guess the people who are supposed to be in the know didn't think they were just a terrible rebuilding team.

Week 2

AP: 11
USA: 11
ESPN Power Rankings: 9
ESPN B1G Power Rankings: 1

After a tough W against Boise State, the Spartans moved up a little bit. No ranked team plays another ranked team this week.

Back