Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What is wrong in this country?

zyxt9

There are many things obviously, but this has to be on the list:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/...d-cant-wear-peyton-manning-jerseys-to-school/

The mentality that you can control society in this fashion, hurting good people because of something bad people do, has become a systemic problem in the US. Schools need to stop banning "gang" things because gangs will simply change to something new while these rules remain on the books forever. This solves nothing regarding gangs.

I think all schools should have set uniforms anyway, so maybe I'm not the best person to address this. But the idea of outlawing a number is ludicrous. "Sorry kids, we can't learn 7 times 2 today, because the answer is evil." It only gives more power to these symbols to try banning them in the first place.

Instead of demonizing symbols, how about these schools (which I would guess are mostly inner-city public endeavors) actually provide an education and give students other avenues to pursue in life than gang affiliation. Outlawing the numbers doesn't help.

Now, I would have no problem if the school was saying that only white collared shirts were allowed, and thus no jerseys. But to say one jersey is fine and another isn't doesn't make any sense. It doesn't teach young children a lesson about gangs or violence, it teaches them about exclusion and focusing on appearance over substance. Every school should have set uniforms. Teach children to express themselves in what they do, not in what they wear.

I listened to the video and read the story but there was no explanation of why its related to a gang? So is there a particular gang that has 18 engraved on their skull? I don't get it.

Its just like the rules in Okla with the kid and his U of M shirt.

A lot of gangs use NFL and other sports teams gear to tell each other apart. The Raiders and Cowboys are very popular for this. A lot of schools have gone to banning jerseys all together to avoid conflict. And although its pointless in an elementary school if you make a dress code for the high school it is followed by the rest of the schools in the district.

A lot of gangs use NFL and other sports teams gear to tell each other apart. The Raiders and Cowboys are very popular for this. A lot of schools have gone to banning jerseys all together to avoid conflict. And although its pointless in an elementary school if you make a dress code for the high school it is followed by the rest of the schools in the district.

I get that but why just numbers? I mean does a gang have 18 as its number to identify them?

I get that but why just numbers? I mean does a gang have 18 as its number to identify them?

Not sure with the numbers thing. Some of the school dress code rules are strange these days there is a district near me where the teachers have to carry a list of rules and rulers with them to mreasure how much cleavage the girls are showing and how short the dresses or skirts are and how low the boys pants are. I know if I couldnt wear sports gear half my wardrobe would be shot to hell lol.

Years back at a school near where I lived the principal had a panty check for prom. As you can imagine the parents got upset and she was fired.

According to the DP show the numbers 13, 14, 18 are all associated with LA Gangs and are banned in several school districts.

SUR13 is a cali gang who's spread all the way across the nation...M18 is pretty big..I'm not sure what 14 would be.

Back