Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Atlanta Braves will win the NL East.

cmlfactor

The one word I will use to explain this prediction is this one: experience.

The one "word" I will use to explain why the Nationals will stumble in the final weeks: Strasburg-less.

Last year on this date, St. Louis sat 7.5 games back of Atlanta for the wild card slot, just .5 game different than the Braves deficit in the East this year. Atlanta knows that a 7 game lead or deficit can disappear in the blink of an eye, because they experienced it from the wrong end. This year they will experience it from the right end, because this team knows that they have the tools to do what last years' Cardinals team did. Despite gelling at the end, the Cardinals bullpen was pretty rotten last year, which was why they needed to make up so much ground to begin with. Atlanta has a better bullpen than last year's Cardinals, made even better by the fact that Freddy Gonzalez hasn't pitched Venters and Kimbrel into the ground this season. Both guys have seen nearly a 25% dip in their workload this year. That is significant.

On the Nationals side of it, I still can't for the life of me figure out why you would DELIBERATELY take away from your starting rotation depth. If they were losing him to injury, all the talk would be about "how can the Nats close this thing out without Strasburg?" But somehow it is different because they're shutting him down intentionally? It makes no sense, and it seems pretty cocky to *assume* that you can maintain a 7 game lead so you can afford to sit your ace. That cockiness will return to bite them.

So there you have it. Why the Atlanta Braves will win the NL east. Debate. Discuss.

Bud didn't ;-) But I think they can do some good stuff in the playoffs.

I still call bullshit that the Nats aren't going to start Strasburg at all...

I still call bullshit that the Nats aren't going to start Strasburg at all...

Yeah I get ya. Though he hasn't pitched lately I wonder how it'd effect him? I had mix feeling on shutting him down, not that I cared - not a fan. He had the injury but then again, he's a stud don't baby him. Can you imagine if JV got shutdown early?

CML gets allowances for his calls on the Sox and Cabrera.

Back