Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Replacement Refs

TheVictors

One good thing I've noticed .....fewer gay-ass ticky-tack shit calls. None of these "late hits".

Probably because these guys (and gal) are used to watching actual football and not NFL football where only what TV cameras catch matters.

Or they don't know the rules, lol. I've seen a few motion calls and unabated to the QB not being called on Sunday.

Oh they're definitely incompetent.

Manning caught the Steelers with about 14 guys on the field and quick snapped ...threw the ball to D Thomas who missed it. Called incomplete. The entire stadium saw it, aside from all the zebras on the field.

But some of those calls where a player tackles a guy as he goes out, now called 'late hit' and tacking on 15yds or calling PI on a play every time there's any contact by players each with a right to the ball.

Just trying to see the glass as "not completely empty."

heh

On the plus side, they haven't shown a negative bias vs Lions the way reg refs have, so we might stand a chance at beating the Niners...unless the call came down from Goodell inquiring why the Lions were not penalized more.

On the plus side, they haven't shown a negative bias vs Lions the way reg refs have, so we might stand a chance at beating the Niners...unless the call came down from Goodell inquiring why the Lions were not penalized more.

Goodell is sitting at home wondering how he lost the bounty case.

Yeah, that was my one hope with replacement refs....no favoritism.

One good thing I've noticed .....fewer gay-ass ticky-tack shit calls. None of these "late hits".

Probably because these guys (and gal) are used to watching actual football and not NFL football where only what TV cameras catch matters.

way too much PI calls which were out of control in the first place....its even worse now.

I don't know, it probably varies by game. It just seemed during last night's OAK/SD game the number of ticky tack PI calls were fewer.

I think some of it is ego. Guys like Ed Hochuly(?) are egomaniacs and insert themselves into the game too much, IMO. These refs are just busy enough trying to keep up.

way too much PI calls which were out of control in the first place....its even worse now.

Wow, was I wrong. Saw a graphic that showed TWICE as many PI calls called in Week 1 this year as compared to 2011. I guess it just didn't seem that way based on the games I watched.

Wow, was I wrong. Saw a graphic that showed TWICE as many PI calls called in Week 1 this year as compared to 2011. I guess it just didn't seem that way based on the games I watched.

I doubt it's the case and it's just a theory at this point...but I wonder if some players thought they could get away with more because of the replacement refs? and it didn't work out so well?

think i was watching the end of the ari game on redzone and saw like 2 horrible PI calls. Redzone caught a lot of bad PI calls so i thought i might have been assuming based on the amount i saw....but ya the stats show that it was kinda out of control how much they called it.

think i was watching the end of the ari game on redzone and saw like 2 horrible PI calls. Redzone caught a lot of bad PI calls so i thought i might have been assuming based on the amount i saw....but ya the stats show that it was kinda out of control how much they called it.

but what was the % accuracy of those calls? maybe there is a larger # of incorrect calls in previous games, but as they ref more games are they getting better at making correct calls and how does their accuracy compare to the reg refs? are they close to being within the standard deviation?

sure they have made mistakes, but the reg refs made their share after how many years of experience?

I doubt it's the case and it's just a theory at this point...but I wonder if some players thought they could get away with more because of the replacement refs? and it didn't work out so well?

Definitely likely or possible.

but what was the % accuracy of those calls? maybe there is a larger # of incorrect calls in previous games, but as they ref more games are they getting better at making correct calls and how does their accuracy compare to the reg refs? are they close to being within the standard deviation?

sure they have made mistakes, but the reg refs made their share after how many years of experience?

Schlereth made a remark on DEN radio along the lines of how refs will tell a DL he's in the neutral zone or caution an OL that he's holding and communicate with the players but that the replacements don't and consequently, call more of the little stuff.

Schlereth made a remark on DEN radio along the lines of how refs will tell a DL he's in the neutral zone or caution an OL that he's holding and communicate with the players but that the replacements don't and consequently, call more of the little stuff.

I saw a lot of neutral zone infractions not called this past week. I'm not so sure they know the rule.

Watched the Eagles-Ravens game today. Worse officiating game ever.. They were bad today and seem confused.

you guys would rather have had the NFL say no officials...no football ?

Yeah it sucks to not have the best we can out there but that said the refs do sound to be requesting a lot for a part time job. One of the main sticking points is Goodell wants the ability to fire certain refs easier for poor performance and of course the refs won't budge on it. Which personally I like that idea because I feel like some refs get away too often with being consistently terrible.

You guys hear about the guy who was pulled off the Saints game? Found out he was a Saints fan and had pictures on facebook tailgating in Saints apparel...

Back