Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chris Barnett gone

Interesting, so far it's all just from a Tweet he posted. I hope it's not true......because if it is our TE depth is almost non-existent.

Coming in at 279 and off of a knee surgery I wasn't counting on him much for this year anyway. Sucks going forward though.

This could possibly open up the door for Ron Thompson, but they already have a tweener in Funchess, the staff might look for a bigger TE.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Interesting, so far it's all just from a Tweet he posted. I hope it's not true......because if it is our TE depth is almost non-existent.

Scout has been hinting at another defection or two, and implied this was one of the issues they were talking about. Obviously won't take anything for fact until we hear it officially, but I doubt they're just reporting this because of his twitter.

It's odd thought, if true, because this was one of Hoke's actual recruits in the class - not RR's. Posada was understandable just because he was a RR recruit that was a little iffy when Hoke got hired. But this one makes little sense to me - other than the fact that he committed to like 3 or 4 different schools during his recruitment before settling with us.

Poopster flamebaited on the dead board about 6 players leaving due to Hoke's incompetence. Looks like so far it's all dudes who aren't going to see the field and left. Barnett's bro plays at Texas and he's dinged up and young.

Not worried about it --

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
It's odd thought, if true, because this was one of Hoke's actual recruits in the class - not RR's. Posada was understandable just because he was a RR recruit that was a little iffy when Hoke got hired. But this one makes little sense to me - other than the fact that he committed to like 3 or 4 different schools during his recruitment before settling with us.

The multiple school thing, plus coming in 30 pounds over his HS playing weight. Probably shouldn't be a shock that he didn't like the way practices were going.

Didn't see this one coming. I thought Koger was really the only TE performing through camps and that leaves room for a young guy like Barnett to see the field. Hopefully some other guys start stepping up.

bigvic said:
Poopster flamebaited on the dead board about 6 players leaving due to Hoke's incompetence. Looks like so far it's all dudes who aren't going to see the field and left. Barnett's bro plays at Texas and he's dinged up and young.

Not worried about it --

Yeah, this is the only player so far that has any kind of an impact on the 2-deep going forward, and yeah, it's not like he was a sure bet.

This is normal. And so far, relatively painless.

I think depth charts and playing time/lack of it is a far bigger determinant of transfer than who recruited whom.

With the TE situation, no scholarship FB, and abundance of talent at WR I think it's pretty damn clear that we're going to be seeing a ton of 3-WR sets.

DR said:
With the TE situation, no scholarship FB, and abundance of talent at WR I think it's pretty damn clear that we're going to be seeing a ton of 3-WR sets.

Definitely agree. Outside of Koger, I don't see another TE that is a receiving threat.

bigvic said:
I think depth charts and playing time/lack of it is a far bigger determinant of transfer than who recruited whom.

I don't know, the depth chart was pretty much in his favor. He obviously wasn't going to play this year, or it was pretty unlikely, but next year after Koger leaves he'd be the only recruited TE on the roster.

However, I did just look on the roster on mgoblue.com:
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mich-m-footbl-mtt.html

And Barnett is not listed there. Giving more evidence that this is true.

Since we are talking about TEs...what's the deal with Brandon Moore? Anyone know anything about him? I haven't heard a word about him all fall camp.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
bigvic said:

I don't know, the depth chart was pretty much in his favor. He obviously wasn't going to play this year, or it was pretty unlikely, but next year after Koger leaves he'd be the only recruited TE on the roster.

Good point. All I was saying is that - contrary to poopster's idea that Hoke is a bad coach and causing players to leave - that it's more likely about PT or something else. And including Barnett I see 7 TEs listed on the roster.

DR said:
Coming in at 279 and off of a knee surgery I wasn't counting on him much for this year anyway. Sucks going forward though.

This could possibly open up the door for Ron Thompson, but they already have a tweener in Funchess, the staff might look for a bigger TE.

Related to Shawn Thompson?

bigvic said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

Good point. All I was saying is that - contrary to poopster's idea that Hoke is a bad coach and causing players to leave - that it's more likely about PT or something else. And including Barnett I see 7 TEs listed on the roster.

These are the only TE's listed on the roster on mgoblue, I copied and pasted it:

40 allspach nate
42 esterline dylan
80 miller ricardo
81 kwiatkowski mike
84 watson steve
86 koger kevin
89 moore brandon

No Barnett, including him that would have made 8 this year, 7 next year but barnett would have been the only recruited TE from a recruiting class.

Red and Guilty said:
DR said:

Related to Shawn Thompson?

Uhhh, no.

Back