Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Acta fired

thehippo73

Cleveland fires Manny Acta. Sandy Alomar Jr. will be the interim manager for the rest of the season.

I always wonder about stuff like this. I don't watch much Cleveland baseball but it seems hard to justify firing a guy with a roster like that unless you think he's lost the players.

Yeah I dont even think the worlds greatest manager could have won with that team. They made the bad trade for Ubaldo and the stars they had are old and injury prone.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/...er-job-open-terry-francona-a-candidate-092712
Could Francona take Indians' job?
from foxsports

Terry Francona is a candidate for the Cleveland Indians? managerial opening, according to major-league sources.

The biggest question is whether he will want the job.

Sources say that Francona, 53, already has had preliminary contact with the Indians, the team for whom he worked as a special assistant in 2001.

The Indians fired Manny Acta on Thursday and replaced him with interim manager Sandy Alomar, Jr., who also will be a candidate for the permanent position.

I am sure Francona will wait and see what jobs open up. If the Detroit job does open up I am sure he will be very interested as anyone would. Especially with how much he clearly loves VMart.

Classless move by the Indians.

That team had 0 pitching outside of the 8th and 9th innings, and the position players were not much better.

I see them firing him, but with 7 games to go? And after a win? Classless, it was an overt slap in the face to Acta, and a totally douchebag move.

Unless something happened that's not been reported, like Acta tried to rape Donaldson in the shower or something.

They can have Tito, I'd like to see how he does without a roster that rivals the Yankees in big names and spending.

No way Francona goes to the Tribe. They may want his input on young candidates. Cleveland has never went after the bigger names.

Guys get fired like this all the time, Trammell and Phil Gardner are examples. Casey Stengel couldn't have won with those Tigers teams.

Classless move by the Indians.

That team had 0 pitching outside of the 8th and 9th innings, and the position players were not much better.

I see them firing him, but with 7 games to go? And after a win? Classless, it was an overt slap in the face to Acta, and a totally douchebag move.

Unless something happened that's not been reported, like Acta tried to rape Donaldson in the shower or something.

I agree. Why now? What's the point with a week left.

No way Francona goes to the Tribe. They may want his input on young candidates. Cleveland has never went after the bigger names.

I don't know that he's really that big of a name anymore.

He got fired for letting his clubhouse fall to pieces after one of the biggest chokes in the AL East ever, and he's been out of it for a year.

I could see Francona in Cleveland, where he has to start fresh with young players, and low expectations. After all, he has to prove himself all over again.

looks like an announcement by monday that francona will manage the indians.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal_Midget
Francona to manage Indians. Announcement likely Monday.

Last edited:
Gonna make things interesting if we win the WS because it will be very likely to see Leyland retire a champion like his best friend (LaRussa).

I thought for sure Tito would wait to see if the Tiger position would become available but I guess his relationship with Shapiro made his decision easier.

I now wonder who the hell we would bring in IF Leyland does decide to retire?

Gonna make things interesting if we win the WS because it will be very likely to see Leyland retire a champion like his best friend (LaRussa).

I thought for sure Tito would wait to see if the Tiger position would become available but I guess his relationship with Shapiro made his decision easier.

I now wonder who the hell we would bring in IF Leyland does decide to retire?

If he won a WS, he could stay as long as he wants.

Back