Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Uh oh Chipper Jones

manchild98

That would be really bad if it ended for him that way...he threw a DP ball into right field that would have ended the 3rd inning. Instead the Cards scored 3 runs and took a 3-2 lead.

And now he swings at the 1st pitch and grounds out to 2nd with runners at 2nd and 3rd...inning over.

Did they seriously just call the infield fly rule on that?

That is the worst call I've seen in MLB since Ken Burkhart's in the 1970 WS. Holbrook made that call after the ball hit the ground, and there was no "ordinary effort" involved with the shortstop. An INF call happen with a ball hit into the OF, but not this one.

Last edited:
It's never a call an OF ump should make, and it never would have occurred without one.

18 minute delay after that call. The game is being played under protest from the Braves manager. They try to resume play and a few fans start throwing more things on the field.

Drew Sharp ‏@drewsharp
If @Braves are ticked about bad call, here's the lesson - win your division & you get a series rather than a game.

My reply:
@drewsharp @braves Drew, that's absolute horseshit. Braves won 93 (sic) games. They deserve to be in the playoffs. Shut up. You're being an idiot.

MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio
Former MLB Umpire supervisor Jim McKean tells us that the infield fly rule was "the right call" tune in after the game to hear from him.

His head his wedged further up his crack than Holbrooks.

Drew Sharp ‏@drewsharp
If @Braves are ticked about bad call, here's the lesson - win your division & you get a series rather than a game.

My reply:
@drewsharp @braves Drew, that's absolute horseshit. Braves won 93 (sic) games. They deserve to be in the playoffs. Shut up. You're being an idiot.

Sounds like Drew...let's see...what is the dumbest thing I can say that will piss off the most people?

MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio
Former MLB Umpire supervisor Jim McKean tells us that the infield fly rule was "the right call" tune in after the game to hear from him.

His head his wedged further up his crack than Holbrooks.

So how come no one else ever makes this call??? Can they find 1 example from this year where an ump made an infield fly rule call that was 20 yards into left field? Because I watched 99.5% of every inning of every Tiger game and I don't recall that ever happening 1 time. And that play happens at least every other game where the 2nd baseman or shortstop has to travel a good ways into the outfield to make a play on a fly ball.

2 outs in the 9th...Chipper reaches on an infield single (throw pulls the 1st baseman off the bag), Freeman with a ground rule double, Uggla grounds out to 2nd. Game over. Atlanta just couldn't get that big hit. They had 2nd and 3rd and bases loaed a few times and couldn't get the hit.

There will be a ruling tonight from MLB. It will say "can't protest a judgement call."

EDIT: PROTEST DENIED.

Last edited:
There will be a ruling tonight from MLB. It will say "can't protest a judgement call."

Yeah they won't rule against this play. But I thought the point of the infield fly rule is too keep an infielder from dropping an easy fly ball and doubling up a runner. Have you ever seen an infielder purposely drop the ball in that area of the outfield? No, none of us ever have...so why make that call? They can say what they want, they can give you the definition, the can read the rule book all day long etc...that was the absolute wrong call any way you look at it.

Yeah they won't rule against this play. But I thought the point of the infield fly rule is too keep an infielder from dropping an easy fly ball and doubling up a runner. Have you ever seen an infielder purposely drop the ball in that area of the outfield? No, none of us ever have...so why make that call? They can say what they want, they can give you the definition, the can read the rule book all day long etc...that was the absolute wrong call any way you look at it.

Never. If there is not an LF UMP, that call is not made. It's shouldn't be his call to make in there first place.

Hearing that fans "tore up Turner Field" after the game

I'm sure the ump is getting or will be getting deaths threats. If he's married and has kids hopefully his wife was watching and when she saw all of the stuff being thrown on the field she was smart enough to pack everyone up and stay at a hotel.

Back