Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dogs can do math?

Michchamp

according to this study, researchers believe so.

I read about it here. that article claimed dogs will resemble their owners over time.

if true, you'd expect Red's dog to be a lot better at math and science (among other things) than say... tsmith's dog.

My dog was pretty smart (no surprise there). he learned to open the latch on his kennel to get things inside of it by watching us. I also never saw him do stupid things like bark at dogs on TV (if someone rang a doorbell on TV though, he'd go nuts). when my aunt would take him for periods of time, she commented that he was much smarter than her other dogs, and better at communicating with people than they were.

From a photo in the Michigan photo thread, Red's dog seems to enjoy that same IPA swill that Red does.

Not my dog. My dog might have extreme social intelligence, but he can't figure out puzzles to save his life. My dog won't even try to figure out how to get treats out of those dog toys designed to keep dogs entertained. He goes straight to a person for help every time. I don't think he could get to a treat if you just laid a towel over it. I don't think he'd even try; he'd just stare at you 'til you got the towel for him.

Maybe he's a democrat.

I stand corrected. It took about 30 seconds of sniffing the towel to expose the treat. I'm not convinced that he figured it out though. Maybe I should have used a bigger towel.

I stand corrected. It took about 30 seconds of sniffing the towel to expose the treat. I'm not convinced that he figured it out though. Maybe I should have used a bigger towel.

ok, so your dog is lazy and/or dumb.

it used to be amusing to watch my dog try to figure problems out. if one of his toys got somewhere inaccessible, but still in view, he'd stand there and look at it for a second, then run around one side, run around the other, try to reach for it. he would be totally focused on the task; you could tell his brain was working.

if he still couldn't get it after several minutes, he'd sit down looking at it and bark until someone came and got it for him.

he'd have no problem with the towel over the treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my dog. My dog might have extreme social intelligence, but he can't figure out puzzles to save his life. My dog won't even try to figure out how to get treats out of those dog toys designed to keep dogs entertained. He goes straight to a person for help every time. I don't think he could get to a treat if you just laid a towel over it. I don't think he'd even try; he'd just stare at you 'til you got the towel for him.

Maybe he's a democrat.

well, maybe but that's just because the scope of his laziness is narrow. if he was a republican, he'd "lobby" for you to get a job on the board of directors of the Dog Treat Corp., and give him millions of dog treats in handouts. and he'd also set himself up to get some nice tax breaks for it, while loudly whining about people on food stamps.

Back