Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Good CBS Article

caputo50

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15479095/lions-threeheaded-dt-monster-could-shake-division

Ndamukong Suh gives Detroit a vital weapon to combat Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler. (US Presswire)

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- People who watch Detroit's Matthew Stafford practice this summer keep telling me how terrific the quarterback looks and how effective his offensive line has been protecting him. Well, good. Because a healthy Matthew Stafford might determine how far the Lions go.

Of course, Stafford can't raise the Titanic alone. If you play in the NFC North you better have something more than a quarterback to catch Green Bay and Chicago; you better have something -- or someone -- to squeeze Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler, too.

And the Detroit Lions do.

I'm talking about their defensive line in general and their defensive tackles in particular. Ndamukong Suh is one of them; rookie Nick Fairley and Corey Williams are the others. And all play pivotal roles in the resurrection of the Detroit Lions.

Suh needs no introduction. He was the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year last season, and I'd be shocked if he didn't pull down Defensive Player of the Year votes this time around. In fact, based on what I saw of the guy in 2010, I'd make him a leading contender.

Fairley is the Lions' first-round draft pick, but you won't find him at practice. He's recovering from a broken foot, an injury that required surgery to insert a screw -- and while he no longer walks in a protective boot he probably won't be ready for the regular-season opener.

Big deal. It's a 16-game season, and the Lions seem unconcerned. Besides, they have Williams, another disruptive force in the middle, and I think you can see where this is going: With Suh and Fairley as starters and Williams rotating in and out of the lineup, how does anyone block Detroit's defensive tackles?

"You probably have to use four guys," said defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Well, now, we're getting somewhere. As I said, if you're serious about challenging Green Bay and Chicago you better be serious about attacking the pocket, and I mean attacking it without having to blitz. The Lions are, and look for them to push the middle with Suh, Fairley, Williams and Sammie Hill. Look for them to attack the edge, too, with people like Kyle Vanden Bosch, Cliff Avril and Lawrence Jackson -- provided, of course, Vanden Bosch is healthy. An injured shoulder kept him out of practice again Wednesday.

Their linebackers are so much better that coach Jim Schwartz calls them "our most improved position," while the secondary is still a question mark -- though there should be fewer leaks with Eric Wright at cornerback and the improved Amari Spievey at one safety.

Anyway, the bottom line is this: The Lions can and will pressure quarterbacks, and that's how they start to move forward. Two years ago they had the worst pass defense on the planet, and it showed in NFC North contests. Not only were they 0-6, they were outscored 199-88.

One year later, they jumped from 32nd against the pass to 16th and moved from 26 sacks in 2009 to 44. They also were 2-4 within the division and outscored 111-97. Of course a year later, they added Suh, Williams and Vanden Bosch. Now they've added Fairley, and I can only imagine the confusion Detroit causes when he rejoins the lineup.

"The thing that's most difficult for an offense is when a quarterback's getting pressure without a blitz," said Detroit coach Jim Schwartz. "It's very, very difficult if the quarterback doesn't have quick answers. If there's a blitz, there are a lot of one-on-ones available. But if you can pressure without blitz you can do so many more things in the secondary.

"They're all tied together. Hopefully, with the way things go, we can score some points that will allow guys up front to rush the passer more."

That's where Stafford comes in, and, as I said, so far, so good. But we still need to see him survive a 16-game season. The loss of rookie running back Mikel Leshoure hurt, and a nagging hamstring injury to second-round draft pick Titus Young bears watching. But I have no doubt the Lions will score

good read....but Eric Wright has alot to prove still he was beat like a rented mule in Cleveland.

SLICK said:
good read....but Eric Wright has alot to prove still he was beat like a rented mule in Cleveland.

If healthy im going to go out on a limb and say he has a better year than Houston this year. Alot of factors played into that season last year. Namely clevelands defense sucked as a whole.

We can only hope Eric Wright can stay hidden with the front 7 and Houston and Delmas playing at the top of their talent level. Maybe after a couple of weeks Allen gets his confidence back and steps his level of play up

mhughes0021 said:
SLICK said:

If healthy im going to go out on a limb and say he has a better year than Houston this year. Alot of factors played into that season last year. Namely clevelands defense sucked as a whole.

While maybe not to that extent I agree, I think Wright is a much better player than he showed last year. Mayhew has been very adept at taking players who have underachieved and turning them into players who at the least can contribute i.e. Corey Williams, Lawrence Jackson, Bobby Carpenter. I expect the same from Wright, I think he can most definitely be a solid #2 corner this season.

kgdetroit said:
mhughes0021 said:

While maybe not to that extent I agree, I think Wright is a much better player than he showed last year. Mayhew has been very adept at taking players who have underachieved and turning them into players who at the least can contribute i.e. Corey Williams, Lawrence Jackson, Bobby Carpenter. I expect the same from Wright, I think he can most definitely be a solid #2 corner this season.

Theyve mentioned it in a couple articles earlier this preseason but there is a value there when you get to go up against CJ every day in practice instead of frikken Mohammed Masoquai lol. His talent is there and the dline/LB play will surely help. I hope everyones optimism for the safety postition plays out on the field and we should be looking ta a much improved secondary.

NE game this weekend will be interesting to watch. Id normally go into the game thinking were totally outmatched and our dbs are going to get schooled lol. Im still leaning that way but the first half of last years game and the improvements we made in the offseason have me slightly optimistic i must say! lol

mhughes0021 said:
kgdetroit said:

Theyve mentioned it in a couple articles earlier this preseason but there is a value there when you get to go up against CJ every day in practice instead of frikken Mohammed Masoquai lol. His talent is there and the dline/LB play will surely help. I hope everyones optimism for the safety postition plays out on the field and we should be looking ta a much improved secondary.

NE game this weekend will be interesting to watch. Id normally go into the game thinking were totally outmatched and our dbs are going to get schooled lol. Im still leaning that way but the first half of last years game and the improvements we made in the offseason have me slightly optimistic i must say! lol

You and me both, especially since I'm already 3 drinks deep in celebration of being off for the next 16 days because I'm taking vacation time and I picked up lower bowl tickets to tomorrows game for 18 bucks a pop.

I think going up against better competition in practice is a really underrated aspect in Wrights ability to improve. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised by his play this year.

Wright dropped a easy INT tonight.. One of three dropped INT's for detroit.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Wright dropped a easy INT tonight.. One of three dropped INT's for detroit.

And Berry dropped 2 HUGE would-be INT's. HE GONE!!!!!!!!

Back