Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Brain study- analysis vs empathy

redandguilty

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121030161416.htm

These guys have shown that the brain has distinct and separate pathways for addressing topics analytically vs empathically. They claim each pathway somehow inhibits the other one so that you can only use one at a time, which is interesting, but I don't see from the article how they proved that. The idea the analysis and empathy are mutually exclusive would be important to be aware of when you're making decisions. It gives you a reason to remind yourself to deliberately approach a problem from both angles.

I also give the article bonus points for bringing up consciousness and the explanatory gap, although, I don't see how the experiment they describe says what they claim on that issue either.

Last edited:
that makes sense. when my girlfriend makes me feel guilty about something (empathetically), I typically react one way. then when i think about it more carefully (analytically), I get pissed off and react a completely different way.

another concept that fascinates me is dealing with people who have no empathy whatsoever.

you meet people occasionally for whom concepts such as honesty, loyalty, or mercy are viewed as "weakness." I wonder how they got to that point; how much of that is genetic, and how much of that stemmed from having nasty parents, or no parents at all?

"We are sympathizing, here, dude."

052112dude.jpg

Back