Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coke is dialed in

batcave76

Don't think he's ever had this kind of confidence or command. He's gonna be a huge asset if he keeps pitching like this.

Rod said 2nite that Tiger fans were prob right wanting him back in as a RP. Maybe Rod reads the boards!

batcave76 said:
Rod said 2nite that Tiger fans were prob right wanting him back in as a RP. Maybe Rod reads the boards!

That or the signs that said "as a starter you suck Coke".

:)

He appears to have that confidence now too. He's a great weapon to have when he's throwing like that. If AA can come back, the way the Benoit and Valverde are pitching and it's a scary 7th, 8th, and 9th for the playoffs if you're playing the Tigsers.

johnny2x2x said:
He appears to have that confidence now too. He's a great weapon to have when he's throwing like that. If AA can come back, the way the Benoit and Valverde are pitching and it's a scary 7th, 8th, and 9th for the playoffs if you're playing the Tigsers.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can't remember the last time I liked this bullpen so much. I wonder when Inge is going to be put in the rotation to fuck it all up.

He's been breathing fire through his nose as a reliever in the 7th/8th/9th innings, and taken over the lead in the majors in spitting by a pitcher over matt garza.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/29235/phil-coke
Once he got his mojo back in the bullpen somewhere in July, this month he has been unstoppable. 10 innings 8 hits 2 walks and 16 k's before tonight.

When we got him, I thought he was a good reliever, and he showed that up until they pulled him from the pen. Hind sight is always 20/20 but some pitchers were meant to be relievers (and Coke is one of them) and they shouldn't have tried to make him a starter.

That 2 inning save he had against Tampa was a thing of beauty. He has been really good as of late.

Nice to see that we were all right about Coke.. Man he is pitching great..

He's looked great as of late. His fastball is explosive(I seen it touch 96 according to the TV gun in Minnesota) and his breaking ball is falling off the table. If he can continue to pitch like this to go along with Benoit, Valverde and hopefully an AA return our bullpen suddenly looks really good. And of course that's not even mentioning Pauley either who was lights out earlier this year.

masterscorpio77 said:
That 2 inning save he had against Tampa was a thing of beauty. He has been really good as of late.

That was old school!

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
batcave76 said:

That's really an unfair knock on Phil -- considering he threw more pitches by the middle of May, than Phil has thrown in either the entire 2010 or the 2009 season. It's quite possible Coke suffered a little "Tired Arm Syndome". Not all tired arms lose velocity. Some lose their command or parts of their arsenal.

A smart rival GM looking for a cheap alternative lefty SP may phone Dombrowski this winter during the Trade Meetings. Worst case scenario is returning Phil to the bullpen next summer.

Yup. Coke has been one of the most dominant relievers in the last 14 days. He is going to be a huge piece come the playoffs.

MotownWebGuy said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

That's really an unfair knock on Phil -- considering he threw more pitches by the middle of May, than Phil has thrown in either the entire 2010 or the 2009 season. It's quite possible Coke suffered a little "Tired Arm Syndome". Not all tired arms lose velocity. Some lose their command or parts of their arsenal.

A smart rival GM looking for a cheap alternative lefty SP may phone Dombrowski this winter during the Trade Meetings. Worst case scenario is returning Phil to the bullpen next summer.

He still sucked as a starter, I don't care the reason.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
MotownWebGuy said:

He still sucked as a starter, I don't care the reason.

I agree he was not very good as a starter, he has been money lately, and is just as valuable right now as our 2-5 starters and the other JV

Well I don't think he's as valuable as our starters. He's been good in August but that's only 11 innings.

Oh, I'm sorry, this guy is a hack. My mistake. I was thinking about Diet Coke.

Back