Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peralta Gold Glove?

jdeb

I never thought I would be posting this at the beginning of the year but I am eating crow these days. Peralta may be the front runner for a gold glove at short this year.

jdeb said:
I never thought I would be posting this at the beginning of the year but I am eating crow these days. Peralta may be the front runner for a gold glove at short this year.
Really? I have watched a lot of games this year and he isn't impressive. I have the same feeling about Peralta as I do with Jeter when it comes to defense. Both catch pretty much everything that is hit right to them but they don't have any range. No way either of them deserve a gold glove.

Peralta is loads better than the last years of Jeter. He doesn't have great range like the guy from Cleveland but its not bad. Certainly above average.

tomdalton22 said:
jdeb said:
Really? I have watched a lot of games this year and he isn't impressive. I have the same feeling about Peralta as I do with Jeter when it comes to defense. Both catch pretty much everything that is hit right to them but they don't have any range. No way either of them deserve a gold glove.

I never said he was the best SS but he is much better than I anticipated. He has good numbers and may win it is all I am saying.

tomdalton22 said:
jdeb said:

When you say a lot what do you mean, 10, 12, 15? I've watched a 130 and he's been damn good. Should be considered.

I think Asdrubal Cabrera has the SS gold glove wrapped up. He has made a ton of spectacular plays along with swinging a very good bat. Jhonny has clearly been greater than any of us expected.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:

When you say a lot what do you mean, 10, 12, 15? I've watched a 130 and he's been damn good. Should be considered.
probably 1/2 of the games played. I think he is above average due to his lack of errors. But given his range I don't think he deserves it.

Cabrera makes more errors though. That should be considered too. And don't forget, Peralta even has a better at bat. He's better than Cabrera in most categories.

And whether anyone likes or not, offense does play a role for both Cabrera and Peralta.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:

I agree.

I have watched every game and he has far exceeded my expectations including range. He has been excellent. He is not flashy but gets it done. I actually watch a lot of different teams and he is near the top. He is no Tulowitzki, Rollins, or Aybar but he is not that far behind. Alcides Escobar is a treat to watch, he may be the best of the lot.

if they vote on purely defense (which they really should), Alexei Ramirez should win. we all know they never do though, id bet cabrera wins it even though he has the 2nd worst UZR and zone rating, and 4th worst FP of all AL shortstops. cabrera is actually pretty bad defensively. peralta is steadily above average, if unspectacular. his range is also better than you guys think. its still not great, but its not that bad either. he's in better shape this year than he has been in a while.

That chart says Peralta has a 4.30 RF and Cabrera a 4.13 RF. So Peralta is better defensive player and offensive player. Between the two its an easy choice.

jdeb said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

I agree.

I have watched every game and he has far exceeded my expectations including range. He has been excellent. He is not flashy but gets it done. I actually watch a lot of different teams and he is near the top. He is no Tulowitzki, Rollins, or Aybar but he is not that far behind. Alcides Escobar is a treat to watch, he may be the best of the lot.
Yes, Aybar & Escobar are much better and much more deserving IMO

thehippo73 said:
I think Asdrubal Cabrera has the SS gold glove wrapped up. He has made a ton of spectacular plays along with swinging a very good bat. Jhonny has clearly been greater than any of us expected.

You are probably correct. The writers are going to want to give him something for his good year. Peralta has been way under the radar.

Back