Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Starters from yesterday's scrimmage - from Rivals

MAIZEandBLUE09

Starting O-line, from left to right: Lewan, Barnum, Molk, Omameh, Huyge

Starting RB: Fitz started this scrimmage with Shaw getting the 2nd most carries with the 1's.

Starting LB's: Kenny Demens, Mike Jones and Cam Gordon. Jake Ryan was in there a lot as a rush end.

Starting CB's: Troy Woolfolk and Courtney Avery (Good to see him jumping over Floyd)

Starting Safeties: Thomas Gordon, Jordan Kovacs

Defensive line:
A lot of guys rotated on the defensive line. Will Heininger was in there a lot, for example, and made some plays.

OTHER NOTES:

robably half a dozen designed runs for Denard Robinson in 74 plays. He did a lot of scrambling and taking off, but they would blow it dead and make him mad if someone put a hand on him. He scored on a touchdown run, a designed QB draw within six yards.

Another observer:

[i:hhuaqcvk]Brendan Gibbons missed his first three kicks, then made a few. Matt Wile

-Glad to read that the strength of last year's team is doing alright.

-RB lineup not too surprising. Wonder if the lack of FB depth weighs in on decisions of how to use Hopkins. Worried about Shaw's and Fitz's durability when one is indeed the starting back and getting 20 carries a game.

-Out of boredom, I've watched a lot of the UM games from last year that were still on the DVR. Avery was in position for a lot of plays but didn't make as many of them as we'd have liked (probably because of bad coaching). Big missed tackle on 3rd down on Iowa's game clinching FG drive, and a long TD against Illinois when he had perfect coverage come to mind. Hopefully another year to grow and mature helps him put it together. Floyd as the #3 CB or nickle back isn't too bad.

-No Brandon Herron or JB Fitzgerald at LB? I mentioned Mike Jones at the end of last season as a guy who could make noise, but I didn't think it'd be as a starter.

-Thomas Gordon could be a good football player at FS. When a DB has to move up against the run, it'll be Kovacs (he's better at that than covering) leaving Gordon back to cover, who's better at that than tackling.

-Marvin Robinson and Josh Furman were top 20 S recruits. You'd like it if at least one of those guys can crack a two deep at some point this season.

-If you can't tackle the QB, running a QB draw from the 6 is a dick move!

-We don't want Denard throwing picks, even on tipped passes, but I'm ok with reading that picks were had off of tips and hard hits by the UM defense. We've been missing that.

-Good to read that Gallon is contributing on offense. Hoke indicated he'd also be doing some returning. Though some have written that it's poor coaching to put Gallon in the game in that role, he showed ability last year, and I'm hoping he can hold on to the ball and let the return game be his niche.

-Gibbons missed his first three kicks?! And this kid's on scholarship?! Broekhuizen was the better option last year, and if Wile is anywhere near Gibbons, put Gibbons as far away from the field as possible and get him to transfer. You can't have your third string kicker taking a scholarship.

-Last Saturday before the season! I love looking forward on the DVR and seeing games!

I am still worried about many of the things here especially the kicking game. I have faith in Hoke but he has a lot of work to do.

the offense looks like last year's offense? SWEET...if we're playing Eastern Michigan every game!

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]the offense looks like last year's offense? SWEET...if we're playing Eastern Michigan every game!

I took that comment as a good thing in a way. I think many people thought it would be more of a pocket passing style then it may be.

They are doing what RR should have done and taking what their players do best and adapting the offense.

wheels002 said:
They are doing what RR should have done and taking what their players do best and adapting the offense.

How so? What do you see Borges doing differently?

The offense will be more under center also relying more on the RB's. A lot less bubble screens with a more down field throwing action and less Denard designed runs.

wheels002 said:
The offense will be more under center also relying more on the RB's. A lot less bubble screens with a more down field throwing action and less Denard designed runs.

this is all i'm asking for. I've had enough of the spread bullshit.

wheels002 said:

More under center? That doesn't sound like what Denard is used to or for what his skillset is best suited. People love to point out that this is the offense that Denard ran in high school. How many schools asked him to play QB at their university based on how well he ran this offense while in high school? How many would love to have him run last year's UM offense this year at their school? How many QBs with his size, speed, and experience see the number of snaps under center increase?

Relying more on the RBs? The top two right now on the depth chart are Mike Shaw (undersized as an I back) and Fitz Toussaint (constantly banged up.) Again, not sure how what you're referring to is a move towards best using the talent on the roster.

Less bubble screens isn't an offense more suited to the personnel but rather less of a play call you don't like. It's a preference on your part.

More downfield throwing action from a guy more under center when he's shown an ability to be an outstanding spread QB is using players better? Interesting.

Here's what I'm reading from your post... you like this offensive system better; it's your preference. (Heck, I like this offense better too!) But instead of writing that you prefer this offense, you made some remark about RR not using his players right and insinuating that the movement towards the offense you prefer is a move in that direction. That's a tough argument to sell.

Less designed Denard runs = finally making sense. That's the biggest one. I'd rather have a running back by committee than asking Denard to run 20+ times per game like he was last year. We agree on this 100%.

I'd love it if we could move away from the one sentence statements about what RR did vs. what he should have done, etc. etc. etc. We've got way too much revisionist history and at times, sheer idiocy. It's perfectly acceptable to write that you prefer the prostyle to the spread, and you're happy to see UM running the offense you prefer to see them run. But I think it's about time to stop the "RR didn't use his players right" or "RR didn't care about defense" or "RR didn't recruit defensive talent" etc. etc. etc.

Time to move on.

Honestly, I see the offense this year failing to match what they did last year. I'm ok with fewer big plays, a lower Denard completion percentage, fewer yards per rush, pass attempt, and completion, and fewer points scored per game. They'll still be damn good!

I think the defense will be better because they'll be on the field less, facing fewer plays (IU approached 100 offensive plays last year) and will have more time on the sidelines to figure out things/adjustments that need to be discussed.

I can't wait for next Saturday!

bamf16 said:
wheels002 said:

Borges is playing Denard with his strengths. RR never did that.

Borges is switching things up to fit Denard. RR ran the same spread offense even when Threet was playing. The same offense that ran Mallet off.

If Hoke and Borges had the same mind set has RR, Denard would have transferred and we would see a pro style offense. But instead they're mixing things up to fit the players, like any coach with common sense would.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
bamf16 said:

Borges is playing Denard with his strengths. RR never did that.

Borges is switching things up to fit Denard. RR ran the same spread offense even when Threet was playing. The same offense that ran Mallet off.

If Hoke and Borges had the same mind set has RR, Denard would have transferred and we would see a pro style offense. But instead they're mixing things up to fit the players, like any coach with common sense would.

Borges is playing Denard with his strenghts like RR never did?! That is complete and utter nonsense. Why do you have to go to the extreme like that? Why not just type that he's doing some things differently that might be better, like asking him to run less or from different formations that might cut down on the hits.

Saying the '08 spread and the '10 spread were the same is absolutely false. How many times did Threet run? How many times did Sheridan throw downfield? The formations were different. Many of the blocking schemes were different. Many of the progressions were different.

Again, how is putting Denard under center and running I formations with an undersized and often beat up 2 deep at RB and an offensive line that returns 5 starters that ran a spread last year mixing things up to fit the players?! Again, we have people typing these famous lines, but they're wrong. The offensive personnel on this team is best suited to run a spread offense. From the QB to the offensive line to the quick slot receivers to the running backs, an offensive coordinator running an offense best suited for the personnel would run a spread with this personnel. But many of you don't want to hear that because you simply don't like the spread. RR = spread. RR = bad. Therefore spread = bad.

Borges isn't mixing things up to better suit the players. The correct answer is that he's calling better plays (not running Denard into the ground) and he's transitioning into a new offense slower than did RR. I think the offense will take a step back (still be damn good) and the defense will take 3 forward.

I meant Borges is playin denard at his strengths and RR didnt, as in RR didn't use his players right. And if he did, why did Mallet leave.

And you're right, threet didn't run much. He put in sheridan just to run his plays. Sheridan should have never played. I remember a couple times where threet would be doing okay and RR would just randomly take him out.

If you don't see the difference then there's no point in us argueing.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
I meant Borges is playin denard at his strengths and RR didnt, as in RR didn't use his players right. And if he did, why did Mallet leave.

And you're right, threet didn't run much. He put in sheridan just to run his plays. Sheridan should have never played. I remember a couple times where threet would be doing okay and RR would just randomly take him out.

If you don't see the difference then there's no point in us argueing.

FYI, using Ryan Mallet's transfer to defend a statement that RR uses his players incorrectly when Mallet was a player RR NEVER used is pretty laughable. When your example of a coach using a player incorrectly is a player the coach never even had in PRACTICE let alone a game, your point should probably be reexamined.

Answer me just this one question...

Which of Denard's strengths did you see RR not playing him to?

Look, I'm with you. I've been frustrated as hell the past couple seasons too.

I'm not suprised to hear a comment about the offense being similar to last year. During the spring game, the coaches had to put in the pro-style given the limited time available with the kids and the new scheme intended for the long term.

That said, I like the idea of an offense that can explode for 21 points but also run a more ball possession style scheme. There were times where the Defense - as bad as it was - simply was on the field too much and too quickly - whether a result of the offense scoring in 42 seconds or going 3 and out after running 3 "up tempo" plays.

I think RR showed the nation Denard's strengths but in the end, that much punishment would eventually take him out.

My main concern is with the pro-style passing and the timing.

Back