Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What the fuck, Marlins?

Just heard this on MLB on XM. They said names are still getting added, so it's pretty much anybody making money on the Marlins going to Toronto.

This is why I'm always in favor of contaction in all sports. Some of these franchises shouldn't exist.

They pushed last winter and signed all those guys trying to win. They also invested big money in Ozzie. Now they have traded Henley, Heath Bell, Sanchez, Infante, Johnson, Reyes, Buehrle and others all in 6 months and fired Ozzie.

Source: Red Sox made a push for both Jose Reyes and Josh Johnson, but Blue Jays just blew Marlins away with the offer.

MLB should veto the trade imo.

Send a message that what the marlins have done and are doing is wrong.

I'm all for a team making decisions to improve their franchise but yet again this owner has pulled the wool over his fanbases eyes. Garbage.

I'm all for a team making decisions to improve their franchise but yet again this owner has pulled the wool over his fanbases eyes. Garbage.

I would too, and I would also move to try to remove Loria as the owner. He's a fucking tightwad asshole who has no business owning an MLB team anymore. Its become simply ludicrous.

I see nothing wrong with the trade. The Marlins signed a bunch of free agents, spent a ton of money and finished 29 games out of first place. Why not re-build by stocking up on cheap young talent. They won't finish any worse next season and will be situated better for the future.

Imagine Ilitch trading Cabrera, Jackson and Fister to the Jays for Prospects and Pocket Change.

I see nothing wrong with the trade. The Marlins signed a bunch of free agents, spent a ton of money and finished 29 games out of first place. Why not re-build by stocking up on cheap young talent. They won't finish any worse next season and will be situated better for the future.

Because they will do it again in a few years and perpetually with this ownership. The cheap young talent has no track record in MLB and when you make a trade, it's usually value for value. The Marlins built this new stadium, get the players, make promises to be competitive and welsh on the arrangement by selling them all and stocking the roster with well ... even the MLB page for the Marlins roster has no idea what to say right now. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=fla

Screwed the fan base, screwed the people in the area to help fund a stadium, with signing of good players, getting fans excited, and now pulls the rug out from under them.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/2012/11/13/the-marlins-a-modest-proposal/
The Marlins: A Modest Proposal.
from Keith Olbermann

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...reyes-buehrle-johnson-buck-bonifacio-analysis
Marlins-Blue Jays blockbuster trade: Knee-jerk reaction.
from beyondtheboxscore

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/for-marlins-perception-is-now-reality/
For marlins, perception is now a reality.
from fangraphs

Last edited:
By the sounds of it the owner had promised to field a competitive team if they got their new stadium. Right after the stadium opens they buy all the free agents. Then less then a year later you dump them all. I would be pissed if I were the city and the fans.

And really how much better will this make the Jays? I thought the Marlins way overpaid for Buehrle and Reyes had a great year in a contract year but also has time where he disappears and doesnt play hard all the time. And Johnson is a free agent after the year.

One question I have to is do the players get paid in American or Canadian money?

By the sounds of it the owner had promised to field a competitive team if they got their new stadium. Right after the stadium opens they buy all the free agents. Then less then a year later you dump them all. I would be pissed if I were the city and the fans.

And really how much better will this make the Jays? I thought the Marlins way overpaid for Buehrle and Reyes had a great year in a contract year but also has time where he disappears and doesnt play hard all the time. And Johnson is a free agent after the year.

One question I have to is do the players get paid in American or Canadian money?

This is exactly why I think it was the right move. They spent all that money and got nothing in return except for last place and terrible attendance. Why keep spending the money on Reyes and the pitchers if you can get top minor league talent in return and probably get the same results in the standings.

BTW....they get US currency....not sure if that is a good thing anymore!

I heard on MLB on XM that this is going to cost the players an extra 14% in taxes to play in Toronto. Ouch.

This is exactly why I think it was the right move. They spent all ththey're ey a g nothing in return except for last place and lguaranteeaterrible attendance. Why keep spending the money on Reyes and the pitchers if you can get top minor league talent in return and probably get the same results in the standings.

BTW....they get US currency....not sure if that is a good thing anymore!

So you give up? How about "try ot get better" the next year and add a piece or two. Right now, they're not any better, just cheaper. And prospects have no guarantee to do jack.

Yeah I laughed at the Marlin fans last night that were excited about all the prospects they got. I reminded them how excited they were about Miller and Maybin. Remember Maybin was a cant miss 5 tool guy. I dont thing any of the guys they got from us did shit for them.

Back